Hello all,

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by glenn2926, Sep 12, 2012.

1. glenn2926

glenn2926 Funster

OK, We are new to this motorhoming lark and as yet do not own a motorhome. We are hiring one again next week from Harrogate motorhomes. It is a burstner elegance 9m long and 5tonnes in weight. The size and weight do not bother us as I have a HGV licence. Right the questions begin.
    1 This motorhome is about the size I would like to buy but We would like an island fixed bed. Does such a thing exist without going down the American RV route.
    2 If I cannot find a motorhome with an island rear bed is it possible to have the rear transverse bed made into an island bed? I do not particularly want a garage so losing that would not be a problem.
    3 would a vehicle of this size be able to carry a motor scooter on a rear rack?

Don't want much do I?
    Thanks in advance
    Glenn.

2. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

3. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Recent threads here have shown how RVs with their slides are in a different league, huge size, small price.

If you can live with 10 mpg, well worth looking.

4. Jim

Jim Ringleader

If you want something that long and want an island bed, then ignoring RVs might be a mistake. There are plenty of RVs that are shorter than the vehicle you are hiring, but because they are wider than Europeans and have slideouts; island beds are common in these. Many of them will cost much less than your Burstner, especially if aged 3 or over.

They will be a little wider, but as an HGV driver this should not worry you. Some Freds (Front Engine Deisels) are quieter than you might think and deliver somewhere between 12 and 18 mpg depending on who you believe. You could also look for an RV that has been converted to use LPG (many have) owners of conversions boast an equivalent of around 20mpg

Happy hunting:thumb:

5. Scarrow

Scarrow Read Only Funster

My 2008 Bessacarr E769 has a island fixed rear bed. Only had it now for four weeks, so might not be the best person to advise. With regard to rear rack for carrying motor scooter, that's not something I have looked into as yet.