Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
jour 56 vendredi le 23 juin

Good evening friends

I believe it is warm over there in the UK, well I have to tell you that over here it is HOT, 39.9°C according to Helen's digital thermometer, so let's call it 40°C for cash.

Today has been a train day, and not a bad one at that. Two lessons I hope I will learn, 1) I must were sunglasses to stop the bits going in my eyes, 2) don't wear white t shirts on steam trains - will I ever learn? Probably not!

It was jolly hot here yesterday and I retired relatively early perspiring profusely, I am pleased to report that 04.00 it had dropped to a cool 24°C, I got up and looked out the door, there was "hill fog" obscuring the hill and it felt "cool". I arose around 08.00 took breakfast followed by a shower, such a simple delight but I need to clean Helen's shower rose a bit. I checked out the bins for recycling but apart from cardboard there was no glass or plastic division so I dumped my black sack in the bin.
My train was due to depart at 11.30 and around 11.00 I made my way to the station and bough my ticket, 16€00 which I think was not bad.
First picture then is the engine on arrival before running around the train to return to St-Jean-du-Gard.
View attachment 170339
The engine was built in 1937 by Krupps in Germany, the carriage you can see part of is the one I travelled in. You may be pleased to learn that I do not have a model of this engine. The French call it (the locomotive) an 0-4-0T, but in the UK we use the Whyte notation which calls it an 0-8-0T, never mind.
Two carriages on the train were reserved for a party of primary school children. They were well behaved but each time we entered a tunnel you would think we were on the ghost train by the screams - I saw no ghouls or any other horrors.
The ride was basically uphill to St-Jean-Du-Gard. Next view enroute.

The journey time was around 40 minutes, stopping at one station en route where there was a botanical garden. I will not bore you with loads of pictures on the way up so next is one of the views seen from the train.
View attachment 170344
On the way back I am sure I passed at least two locations where people were skinny dipping in the cooling waters, lucky devils.
Arriving at St-Jean-Du-Gard I saw briefly an old Renault autorail and snatched a shot - yes, alright, I know but I am not the full all singing all dancing anorak wearing, duffle bag carrying railway nut, honest!
View attachment 170346
Let's face it, you would have to be its mother to love it, that is one ugly autorail.
Arriving around 12.15 and the return leaving at 14.00 left me plenty of time to mooch about and take a jambon/fromage sandwich. This means a shot of the engine from the other side while everyone was taking lunch - including the kids. I must be mellowing, years ago I would have machine gunned the lot of them, now I seem to enjoy their antics. Clearly senility has set in.
View attachment 170347
After my sandwich and scouring the souvenir shop for something to take back I put mysel at the end of the train to get some shots on the way back. Sadly my snap of the nude bathers did not work, possibly because I was waving at them while trying to take the photo, oh well! Next shot is on the way back.
View attachment 170350
Now a picture of one of the water courses!
View attachment 170351
Typical, the bathers have all disappeared just like the fish when I do underwater photography !
So, finally back into Anduze via the long girder bridge and tunnel (screaming kids) into the station.
View attachment 170352
I did not return immediately to Helen, taking a little time to video the engine running round the train and departing for St Jean.
On my return to Helen I found my reflective silver had been of some use (marginal) and picked up the 5 litre petrol can. I made my way to the adjacent Super 'U' and filled the can, returning to Helen to fill and start the generator. This would give the fridge a chance and also allow the fan to blow hot air at me (usually I am full of hot air!).
I made short work of the surviving 3 bottles of 1664 and third of a bottle of rosé. Now I am back to drinking tea.

At the moment plan A is to leave here tomorrow morning and drive to the Millau bridge for a photo shoot and possible overnight stop Park4tonight suggests there is free parking adjacent. Then Sunday on to Albi to visit the Toulouse-Lautrec musée. A shame I am unable to share these pleasures with a fairy.

Météo France had promised a thunderstorm for now but it has not arrived yet.

All the best, more tomorrow and NO trains!

Clive
Really enjoying your travels thank youClive!

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Loving your travel pics, thanks too for showing me the roads I do not wan to travel on.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
jour 57 samedi le 24 juin

Good evening from Villefranche d'Albigeious.

Having travelled on the train yesterday and following a close and very warm night I decided to make my way to the Millau viaduct today for a few photos. Shortly before Millau I found an observation post and stopped for a few shots!
image.jpeg

Next Helen, hopefully with a few rocks and the viaduct!
image.jpeg

After taking a few shots here, the raised observation platform was quite good I made my way to the Aire next to the Aire at the viaduct itself.
image.jpeg

The Aire was clean and it was a simple walk to a viewing platform for pictures. A small sculpture on the way.
image.jpeg

Next a selfie, not a good idea for me as I prefer to remain anonymous.
image.jpeg

Crikey I look old and I think the tefal head is because of wearing my hat for protection from the sun, well that's my excuse.
After this stop of about an hour I made my way toward Albi, stopping at Villefranche d'Albigeois (cimetère) for the night compliments of Park4night!

Should be Toulouse-Lautrec tomorrow. Short and sweet today!

Clive

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
jour 57 samedi le 24 juin

Good evening from Villefranche d'Albigeious.

Having travelled on the train yesterday and following a close and very warm night I decided to make my way to the Millau viaduct today for a few photos. Shortly before Millau I found an observation post and stopped for a few shots!
View attachment 170533
Next Helen, hopefully with a few rocks and the viaduct!
View attachment 170534
After taking a few shots here, the raised observation platform was quite good I made my way to the Aire next to the Aire at the viaduct itself.
View attachment 170535
The Aire was clean and it was a simple walk to a viewing platform for pictures. A small sculpture on the way.
View attachment 170537
Next a selfie, not a good idea for me as I prefer to remain anonymous.
View attachment 170538
Crikey I look old and I think the tefal head is because of wearing my hat for protection from the sun, well that's my excuse.
After this stop of about an hour I made my way toward Albi, stopping at Villefranche d'Albigeois (cimetère) for the night compliments of Park4night!

Should be Toulouse-Lautrec tomorrow. Short and sweet today!

Clive
Nice to put s face to the name Clive and a great selfie with the awesome bridge behind you!!! Safe travels as ever!!

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Great pictures of the bridge ....glad you are wearing a hat in all that sunshine...says she who burnt her shoulders gardening last weekend.

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Just read through your latest adventures, brings back memories from some years back when I visited some of the same region and reminds me to redouble efforts to return.
Looking forward to the next chapter..

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
jour 58 dimanche le 25 juin

Hello from Albi, Tarn

First, so as not to deter anyone NO TRAINS TODAY!

What a fabulous day I have had. Though at first it may not have seemed that way....

I awoke reasonably early and took advantage of a stroll round Helen in the blissfully cool morning air 19°C (au natural) it had been a comfortable night and my neighbours were dead quiet. I did not see a soul (according to my limited exposure to the "fairer (hah) sex" I don't have one of those either). At one stage I thought the common denominator in all this was me, then I realised I was wrong, the common denominator is women! Flak jacket and tin hat on. So here is a picture of shortly before the crack of Daphne, sorry Dawn.
image.jpeg

My first tea of the day was taken shortly after this followed by petit dèjeuner, usual muesli stuff and orange. I then packed up and set off for Albi. Sunday morning before 10.00 on the French roads is lovely. My target, courtesy of Park4night was adjacent the salle de fêtes at Albi at Rue de Lamothe. I used the GPS coordinates, some narrow streets and a bridge but got there in the end only to find I could not park as the area had been taken over for une Festivale Guitares. Merde, that cosy spot was gone and I was not hopeful. Back into the app and it suggested one in the centre of town next to the cathédrale. The remark said it was good "when you could find a space", as you can imagine my half glass full was on the edge!
I took advantage of Doris (my Garmin 660MTL Camper) and she is pretty good but despite her accurate instructions I missed a turn. So had to do a prolonged turn around, my fault entirely. Some of Albis streets you need like the plague and despite the 30kph limit and elevated bumps the impatient French driver does not understand how damaging hitting these things at speed in a mature camping car can be and overtakes. I am beginning to believe that the poor standard of French driving is actually natural and natures way of reducing the population, little by little. I am doing my best to stave off death but these people (both sexes) seem to be rushing into the clutches of death with their arms held out. They are not good avec les cliquants aussi et cedez le passage, vous n'avez pas priorité!

Anyway after my second attempt at the main drag I turned in the correct place with a level of uncertainty thinking I was going to be up diahoreah drive without a saddle so naturally I missed the car park entrance thinking it was cars only to see milliseconds later the assorted camping car roofs below and to to my right, encore de merde, off to the next roundabout and back, hung a left and negotiated my way into the parking spot reserved for camping cars. I elected to reverse in, i) it would make leaving easy ii) the sun would be on my offside for the afternoon and evening. There were two places left when I arrived though I was treated to the French camping car woman routine described in someone else's thread when my neighbour left shortly after my arrival. So my good luck had held out yet again, it would not be a 20 minute walk to the cathédrale from the original plan but 2 or 3 minutes. So, here's a picture of Helen and the cathédrale.
image.jpeg

You can't say fairer than that can you. If you are thinking of visiting Albi then look here first. I am sure people are put off by the thought that they will get here and find nowhere to park and for that reason there are spaces. When I got back from my stroll there were three spaces and since I started this two of the three on my (as I sit on spun round seat) left have gone.
You are left in no doubt what the conditions are and it is gratuit. Honda will not be running tonight but I am happy to bin the contents of the fridge and replace which is far cheaper than a campsite out of town meaning fees and additional costs getting back and forth. What today's youth seem to call a 'no brainer', awful expression to mitigate things I am consuming the rosé before it gets too warm.
And (I know bad English) a sign ....
image.jpeg

Off then on my stroll up a few steps across a road and loads of pictures just one for you the end of la cathédrale Ste Cecile.
image.jpeg

Next stop was the Cloiture St Salvi where you are asked not to feed the pigeons and judging by the amount of guano on the steps up to the location I hope that anyone who does feed them slips on it and learns the error of their ways.
image.jpeg

After this I made my way back to the cathédrale and the Palais Berberie which houses the musée Toulouse-Lautrec, recommended minimum time to allow for a visit 1 1/2 hours or in my case, just under 5 hours. I have been meaning to visit this site for many, many years and something has always conspired to prevent it, well NOT anymore!
No pictures of inside the museum or the many works therein but you will almost all be familiar with his works in one form or another. I do include a picture of the formal garden outside though which was absolutely beautiful (if you like that kind of thing - and I do).
image.jpeg

You may have noticed the bridges top left, guess what is coming next ... First the old bridge originally built in 1040 and subject to modifiation the oldest French bridge carrying regular traffic.
image.jpeg

Next a picture of the boat that does pleasure trips, it is called Rio Bravo, at least it is not the African Queen!
image.jpeg

Now a picture which judging by the architecture was and possibly is a railway bridge. The style is identical to the standard French railway multi-arch bridge. The weir is also present.
image.jpeg

Next shot I am a little uncertain about. I wonder if once it was an écluse (lock) and then became some sort of landing stage for merchandise as there is evidence of lifting apparatus at some stage. Was the building a water mill at some stage, simple answer is I do not know as I have not researched this aspect.
image.jpeg

Off course it could have been all or none of the above, perhaps I should be a politician. Last shot today is of a small islet from which nearby you can either rent a plastic canoe (I am thinking of getting one of those) or take a trip on the Rio Bravo.
image.jpeg

I am going to have a good mooch about here tomorrow and leave Tuesday morning so what tomorrow will bring your guess is as good as mine but I only came here for Toulouse-Lautrec and I am staying for more.

Thanks for looking, don't forget if you like this hit one of the buttons, if not I won't tell if you don't. If you have a leaning towards art (I am supposed to have - really) then visit the musée, I was like a 'mad dog with tripe.'

à bientôt

Clive

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Love your witty descriptions Clive! Thanks for taking the time to share!

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
jour 59 lundi le 26 juin

Bonjour mes amis

An early report today. I have been expecting orage et vent since before 11.00 but so far nothing. I did go out for my mooch and found that lundi is a quiet day in Albi. As you will see from the few photos, not many people about!

It was a not unpleasant night but I kept hearing a mosquito, had it be de Haviland it would have been ok but it was the type I prefer dead. Sadly no matter how marvellous I believe myself to be even I can't see these perishers in the dark. Clearly a net failure somewhere and a board of inquiry to follow. Then, as my sleep pattern had been disturbed I decided it was time I put my solo mosquito net into service (why oh why had I not done this after leaving relatively mosquito free Suisse) within minutes (most of them finding it) my net was up (should my fortunes change - there is room for two in there) and I was safe from the marauding swine and able to lay comfortably au natural on top during this relatively warm night. I started listening to Steve Allen and promptly fell asleep, safe! I got up about 08.00 and took petit déjeuner before checking météo France. From 11 for most of the day thunderstorms and at times hail. I elected to take my stroll. Please note it is now 15.27 as I write this, it is 30°C in here and though close there has been not the slightest hint of weather.
Target No1 was the birthplace of Henri de Toulouse Lautrec a short walk from the car park.
image.jpeg

That's the one and now a picture of the plaque. I think our French brothers and sisters can be the masters of understatement at times.
image.jpeg

I had mistakenly thought that the 'family home' was nearby but I was wrong and committed to being here until tomorrow. I will see if it is along my route. Next door was the former home of a French sailor who disappeared while exploring and who had apparently given us some jip at Hudsons Bay when we were having our usual falling out with our closest neighbours (unless you count the Welsh and the Scots - don't round on me I have tenuos links to both and the French!).
image.jpeg

I plodded on around the empty streets and took shots of the half timbered buildings, just a couple for you here.
image.jpeg

This one housed a display of interest but not open until 14.00 on a lundi so in the words of the immortal bard they dipped out on my few euros.
image.jpeg

Above, peeking through an open door - almost through the keyhole!
Back up toward the cathédrale I found an assortment of charming buildings which I suspect will be a subject for a future work - don't ask when but it all happens eventually (much to the annoyance of some; hah, hah).
image.jpeg

Then on to today's final shot, according to the adjacent plaque these are all that remains of a Roman late 4th or 5th century église/cathédrale pre dating the much later Ste Cecile and on what was the old town. Reading up on the place on my return the sources suggest there are no Roman remains at Albi. I don't know which is correct but I liked the fountains and arches.

image.jpeg

The offending plaque is on the wall to the right of the arches, dark rectangle.

Well it has still not begun a deluge and I suspect it will not, it is close and uncomfortable, sadly surrounded by campers in this car park it is not possible to strip off, so I must suffer in silence.

Tomorrow I head south and will be looking to stay somewhere around Limoux for an overnight - probably the dead centre again but I will see what the app comes up with. It has become a bit of a challenge to see how much free camping I can get! Sad.

Anyone thinking of parking here in the centre of Albi, go for it. The internet speed is fantastic!

More tomorrow from wherever I end up.

Clive

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
jour 60 mardi le 27 juin

Good afternoon from the more or less disused Gare St-Martin-Lys next to the Aude. If I am not moved on, I intend to spend the night here. I arrived about 30 minutes ago and set the Honda up so the fridge could start to chill. Then took a snack. I will have a salad later but I had not eaten since about 08.00.

Today has been a travelling day leaving the car park at Albi about 08.45, managed to miss a a turn or two and added a few unnecessary kilomètres to my journey. Plan A (later abandoned as usual) was to drive from Albi to Castres, Mazamet, Carcassonne and finally Limoux where I was thinking of spending the night next to Notre Dame de Marceille (Park4night).

No photos until I had started the zig zag climb out of Mazamet up the 'black mountain', I eventually found somewhere I could pull over so here is a view over Mazamet.
image.jpeg

I carried on towards Carcassonne and shortly before arriving on the outskirts and the ring road I passed the following écluse on the Canal de Midi. There was no obvious place to pull in so it was up to the roundabout and do a twirl and turn back on myself. First picture is of boats in the lock.
image.jpeg

Next the shear force of the water entering the lock, there were a number of gates in the series.
image.jpeg

Now the identity plate on the wall of what I imagine was and may still be the lock keepers home.
image.jpeg

No report would be complete without the star of the show, so here is Helen beside the canal.
image.jpeg

There were off course other shots. Returning to Helen I drove back toward another roundabout permitting a safe U turn and back to circle Carcassonne. There was one small hold up but the rest was simple. I made good progress to Limoux and stopped at E Leclerc for shopping - I had binned most things this morning, and fuel. Then I made my way up to Notre Dame de Marcielle, it is shown as a lookout point and Park4night had it down as a night stop. Arriving at what to me appeared to be a fully functioning religious order with a number of young women deep in some kind of devotions plus the well maintained religious statues I decided to turn around an find somewhere else. I looked at Quillan but that did not inspire me and continued toward Axat. Leaving Quillan I passed the Sapeurs pompiers workshop and station, parked on the grass in the corner were a couple of old vehicles, one a unimog and the other a Laffly, they did not have the appearance of being preserved. First the unimog.
image.jpeg

and secondly the Laffly, surprisingly this was right hand drive.
image.jpeg

This one gets a further shot
image.jpeg

I do like old vehicles. Back to Helen and on towards Axat, then, sorry, off to my left I saw two French Caravelle rail cars and stumbled across the apparently disused station of St-Martin-Lys. I saw an entrance and turned in. To my surprise the red train Touristique was just leaving to make its way bay to Rivesaltes just North of Perpignan. I did not realise just how close I had come to my coastal target at Elne. A couple of pictures of the train.
image.jpeg

The next is of the open carriage at the rear. I am wondering if the passengers had been perhaps dropped at Axat and the train had then come up here for the engine to run around the train for the return journey. I think this could be the case as there were only two people on the train!
image.jpeg

Next a picture of the bridge at the entrance to the station giving access over the Aude.
image.jpeg

Finally Helen, hopefully resting until tomorrow when I will make my way possibly to Elne, though I see Font Romeo is not that far away with the electric Train Jaune. I will be studying the map and if there is some reasonable camping I may go there.
image.jpeg

That is it for today. Let's see what the morrow brings. All the best Clive

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
jour 61 mercredi le 28 juin

Good evening from Mazères sur Sarat

Plenty of water here but no beach. Today has been a funny old day and the travel more of a mystery tour than anything else. I have ended up pretty close to my friends Sarah and Dennis but I am not due there for over a week. I shall be reviewing my destination for tomorrow, overnight. I may pop in and say hello. Perhaps a pit stop. I will Skype Dennis later.

My original idea was to go to Elne and visit the beach but looking at météo France this morning that did not look like a good idea as it is supposed to be wet around here for the next 3 or 4 days. I thought I would continue to Axat and take the road to Font Romeo and look at the train jaune. Shortly after that decision was made and before I had moved off the heavens opened and I was not going anywhere for a while. It really did throw it down and I was glad I decided against the beach. After a while it cleared and I set off towards Axat, this proved to be an interesting road, beautiful overhangs and great cliffs sadly the road was narrow and required my full attention. Axat did not look bad but they had created their own form of chicane on the main road and then there was a deviation up a narrow road and I decided I had had enough of that malarkey and would turn round. As luck would have it (it was not orchestrated by me), at the top of this road I found the railway station with its large car park to turn in and for me there were a few bits of rolling stock I could take pictures of. I will only put a couple up as I do not wish to lose any faithful followers.
image.jpeg

The picture above is of a 2 car diesel unit. That nearest is the unpowered unit, the further car sadly covered in grafiti is the power car. Oh well, I will make it 3 pictures of trains so you can see the grafiti - it may actually be decoration but it does nothing for me and I detest grafiti.
image.jpeg

No, I think it is rubbish. Last train picture today then is of one of a diesel locomotive, probably used for switching/shunting and short local freights when working on the national rail system (don't quote me).
image.jpeg

Well my taster of the roads in the planned direction had proved a disappointment. It was one thing to negotiate the bends and cliffs but with the pouring rain as well, I drew the line. I back tracked through Axat negotiating the chicane and wondering which part of the brain is switched out by so many that even though (if they are actually looking) they can see the road is filled, parked car to steel street furniture railing, by an old German camping car and still they continue into the blocked hole. Then discover they are unable to reverse very well and amuse every one and his brother. I love that sort of thing! So back I tracked up to Quillan and took the D117 in the general direction of Foix. The plan now was to find a service point and refill my water tanks. I was keeping a look out for an accessible cimetière. The weather improved and I enjoyed a lovely drive stopping for lunch (jambon/fromage baguette) at Bélesta.

I was treated to beautiful scenery but nowhere to stop and get a picture. I must rig up something in the windshield to film as I go. All the while I was looking for a service point. Soon I was in Foix, there should have been something there but I missed it and found myself on the D117 heading towards St Girons. Eventually I found one at Castelnau Durban. Now all I needed was a cimetière. That I found at Mauvezin but I did not like the look of the water so I am down to my last 15 litres now. I will find somewhere tomorrow. Shortly after leaving Mauvezin a good and proper thunderstorm set in with very good lightning and very heavy rain. I am pleased Helen's wipers kept up with it. That was enough for me for the day and I checked Park4night for somewhere adjacent to park and it suggested Mazères s/ Sarat and I made my way there.
On arrival there was a very much more recent Hymer present and I parked well away from him so I could use the generator. There is a lot of water here so here are a few pictures of this free Aire. It is under threat of closure because people leave it in a mess and I won't touch the water because there seems to be only one tap and we all know what some people are like.
image.jpeg

This was the view from beside Helen after I had set up the generator. Now a view incorporating Helen
image.jpeg

Note I had put the generator on my offside to be away from the other Hymer but the river makes so much noise it is inaudible from where they are parked. Another view
image.jpeg

All this is just behind Helen and makes a fair amount of noise.
Shortly after I started this a Dutch registered Camping car arrived. There was quite a lot of greenery on his roof so I suspect he had been up a leafy lane. He pulled in beside the Hymer and a short time ago a French registered Dethcleffs has parked on my offside so I have been out and moved the generator. They said not to bother but I insisted and asked them to tell me if it became a problem. Doubtful with that lot going on behind me.

That is all for now. Don't know what is happening tomorrow yet but whatever it is I will report it here. Thanks again for your interest and support.

Clive

late extra, we are now up to 5 camping cars here. There is room for one more between me and the othe Hymer and if that is filled I will be turning the generator off and bringing it in.

I am having the time of my life:france::france::france::clap2::france::france::france:

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
jour 62 jeudi le 29 juin

Bonjour from Gardouch,

I have found a place to park next to the canal de midi at the Écluse de Gardouch. Another site from the Park4night app. I decided that I needed to get some exercise and get on the bike. As I am not as fit as I would have liked I wanted a relatively easy course I could follow and 'ease' myself back to fitness. The choice was between disused railway lines that had been turned into cycle paths or the tow path next to the Canal de Midi. The opening line shows which I chose.

Expecting the weather to be poor I laid in until just after 8 this morning and then took the usual breakfast. I could see a footbridge across the river behind me and thought I would like to take a couple of photos from it. Sadly I could not find my way to it and suspect it is connected to a former industrial complex next to the parking. I settled for a couple of shots, the first shows the suspension bridge up river which I would be crossing when I left.
image.jpeg

The second shows a cascade to the side of the weir where the flow is turned back on itself. I do not have the slightest notion why this has been done and welcome any suggestions.
image.jpeg

After my short walk and photo shoot I returned to Helen, did the odd jobs and pondered over where I was going to go and which cemetery would I visit to uplift my water. Having decided on the canal I looked for a suitable location between Carcassonne and Toulouse. Castelnaudry looked promising and I checked the app for a nightstop. Looking toward Toulouse I saw Gardouch which had a couple of sites, one of which was by a cimetière. I looked on the map and sure enough there was a cimetière on the D16 close to the canal. Easy, peasy (not), I packed everything up and set course for my target. This was to be cross country and I would cross the little suspension bridge then follow the D62 to Cazères then follow D10 to Carbonne where I would pick up the D626B to Lezat sur Lèze, hang a left up the D919 to St Sulpice sur Lèze where I could follow the D622 virtually the whole way to my destination next to the D16. Well it all went very well (again I lament not having set up the dash cam replacement) until I got to Carbonne. It was bad enough dealing with a few narrow one way streets with badly parked cars but then I arrived in the 'market square' complete with market and road closures. Naturally my D626B was one of these and I was obliged to turn left not the right of my personal choice. As I did this I saw the policier from Police Municipal moving the barrier from the road I wanted. Good I thought, drove down the road a bit and when clear did a 3 point turn and made my way back, including a tour of the square to where I wished to turn right. M. le policier was there and he had put the barrier back. I had a chat to him and he suggested a course of action. I am confident I started off ok but some how found myself on a restricted road so performed another twirl and had a good look at the map. I would follow the D10 to Marquefave where I would follow the D48 until it rejoined the D626B. I include this information so any of you with the Michelin departmental map No343 may examine the routing. I point out that it is a lot further, bendier and narrower in real life than it looks on the map and it has the added random hazard of French drivers anxious to make their midday lunch appointment.
Once back on the D626B the rest of the drive was a breeze and I made good progress to the cimetière near Vieillevigne where I checked the water quality - excellent and filled the tanks. I had put the Honda on to give the fridge a boost while I baked one of those self bake baguettes in the oven for my late lunch treat. While this cooked I reviewed the location which did not seem to tally with the location description in the app. Of course it didn't, I was at the wrong cimetière. There was another one 3.5km back, so after lunch I packed up and made my way to the other cimetière. This one was unsuitable for Helen, possibly ok for a PVC but definately not Helen. I looked again at the app and decided to try the one next to the écluse. The comments suggested that I would not have a snow flakes chance in Hades of finding a place which is why I had discounted it in the beginning. Did my usual trick of taking the wrong turning and found it was only accessible from the end I had missed so off to find somewhere to turn and in the correct way. There did not appear much in the way of parking with the right hand side reserved for residents, an area for the French nautical service but some parking. I reversed in and staked my claim. I hope not to be moved on. Shortly after I saw a boat approaching the écluse so I grabbed my camera and took a few shots.
The first shows the boat entering the lock.
image.jpeg

Once in the man in the white T shirt pressed a button on the grey post and the gates behind closed. The water then reduced to the next level. Cue photo (doubts about that cue now, mmmm).
image.jpeg

Not quite as good a shot as I would have liked! Then when level it vacated the lock, next photo. In the picture above you can see a lady in a white baseball cap. She and her husband were sailing through in their catamaran, sadly his health is beginning to fail and this will be their last year of doing this. They are thinking of getting a camping car though.
image.jpeg

Next picture then is of the English couple's catamaran in the lock travelling the opposite direction toward Beziers.
image.jpeg

Now, I know that no report is complete without a picture of the star so here is Helen posing canal side.
image.jpeg

Finally the worst ever, timed exposure selfie ever published. Thank goodness the bollard was a long way away.
image.jpeg

I think I may have mentioned on here some time ago that I was considering buying a boat to sail through this canal from North to South but sadly the person I had in mind to accompany me jumped ship. My interest is rekindled but probably it will have to stay on the back burner.

Cycling and superU tomorrow.

All the best Clive

:france::france::france::wine::france::france::france:

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Lovely photos Clive...feeling just a tad jealous :sick: as after a spell of good weather here in Wales it's now more like winter ...your weather looks beautiful :)

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
jour 63 mercredi le 30 juin

Good afternoon from Gardouch. An early report today. Weather here is change able. The temperature was down to 15°C overnight and 24°C now. Cool compared to recent days. I am pleased that I elected to do my ride to the Obelisque and back this morning as there are intermittent showers now. I left Helen and set course a little after 11.00 and today's pictures are courtesy of the iPhone.
image.jpeg

The picture above is of one of the larger péniches which has been converted to cruiser use. It was about to enter the lock to ascend to the next level. I stayed to watch so my average speed for today was abysmal (made worse by the other stops where I read every information panel).
A little after this I found an area which helps to maintain the water level in the canal by allowing surges or other increases in volume to be offloaded into an adjacent water course. At least that is what I think it is for. Hopefully the high level of water will show. Not as good a picture as I would have liked.
image.jpeg

The picture was taken from above the ruisseau and you can see the inclined area ahead which channels the water across. It looked able to move a large quantity of water easily. Simple mechanics, love it.
Next then I continued to the Obelisque de Riquet. I reached the adjacent écluse and found a helpful small sign with the word Obelisque with a directional flèche. It pointed up an avenue of trees like I had seen on google maps so I felt confident (fool). The trees ended at a small pont with a large building which houses a restaurant among other things but no Obelisque. There were no signs and no one to ask so I followed what appeared to be a continuation of the track. It did not lead to the Obelisque but I did read a panel explaining it was a water feed (the water had been sourced at Black Mountain (yes the one Helen and I crossed a few days ago up by Mazamet)). I turned and made my way back to the bridge, called up google maps on my phone and checked my location relative to the map. I moved around to what Google maps referred to as a local government office - now a closed refreshment kiosk with two information panels and a map on its walls. I looked across what is I think a car park and saw a large information panel and made my way to that. While looking at it I noticed another of the little signs saying Obelisque + flèche out of the corner of my eye. I moved off in the direction shown and eventually I saw the Obelisque and made my way up to it. At last I thought. Sometimes I believe the poor signage is quite deliberate. I include a picture showing the side with the sun on it. The entrance is gated and locked so the only views are from the base.
image.jpeg

Next a sign reflecting American and French engineering interest. Plus of course my bike, I used my road bike which was fine while I was in Haute Garonne but the surface changed from a well maintained Tarmac sort of surface to grit mud and odds when I crossed from department 31 Haute Garonne into department 11 Aude. Such a shame, I was pleased I had slowed down when I found a lot of loose chippings on a descending bend. A recipe for a fall.
image.jpeg

I will use the hybrid in future but tomorrow I plan to ride in the opposite direction so should be ok on the road bike!
A steady ride back stopping to take photos and wonder at some of the people riding the route. There had been a few spots of rain and I mean a very few but people were approaching wearing capes!
Final shot is of a plaque celebrating Thomas Jefferson and the Franco-Américaine relationship.
image.jpeg

Have taken lunch, it has become blowy and odd showers. I may get brave and walk up to superU (2.2km) or just sit here read and watch the boats going up and down.

A large space seems to have appeared, I hope it will disappear when I post this. All the best Clive

Oh, the ride was just under 30km, so not a bad start as I don't think I have ridden for a month. Bye

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
jour 64 samedi le 1 juillet

Bonjour from St Blanchard

Weather was forecast to be poor today and has been I must admit rather mixed. I consequently abandoned my cycle ride this morning and also elected to skip my visit to the Chemin de Fer Touristique Tarn tomorrow. I have been there a number of times in the past. So a bit of a lie in was followed by a refreshing shower and easy breakfast. I decided I would drive to Lombez where I would refuel, buy some salad things and stay at the free Aire.

I did my usual trick of missing a turn at Autrive quickly corrected then when I got to Rieumes the roads were blocked with diversions as the pompiers Sapeurs were having their special day in the centre ville, I guess there will be the obligatory ball ce soir. This prompted me to take my next wrong turn of the day and I ended up on the D3 going towards L'Isle en Dodon not quite on my way but I followed it until I reached the D626 putting me back on track. Reaching Lombez first stop was Aldi where I bought my rabbit food and a bottle of very cheap rosé which I am drinking now while making a mental note not to buy it again. I would chuck it away but I will try and be green and not waste it. Aldi was followed by Intermarché for gazole for Helen and essence for Honda. I then made my way to the Aire. It had been raining and the loose surface with puddles did not look inviting, I paused thought and decided NAH. I decided I would go to another location at St Blanchard next to the lake (reservoir). Provided there was no ban on camping cars this would be a good location. I have been here more than once with my friends Sarah and Dennis but never stayed the night.

On arrival I was reassured to see a modern camping car already in residence and set up in a position which I hope will not spoil their view of the lake. Mine is not to bad. I set up Honda to chill the fridge (sadly chilling will never rescue this wine) and made a cup of tea to take with my late lunch.

A view of the lake
image.jpeg

As I was approaching the location I could see weather approaching and shortly after setting up it arrived.
image.jpeg

I carried on listening to Alice in Wonderland on radio 4 extra (iplayer) and tuned the tv for the TDF. Sky seem to be doing well but I am saddened to see riders dropping their bikes in the terrible conditions.

That is it for today. Hoping for a really lazy day tomorrow.

à bientôt

Clive

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Your own TDF seems to be progressing well, not to fast not to slow, just right, sounds ideal..
Looking forward to the next episode.

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
jour 65 dimanche le 2 juillet

Bonjour mes amis

Very short report today. Really good sleep followed by a relatively lazy day. This morning I tightened the hinges on the habitation door and boot lid plus I replaced the plastic inlay around the habitation door, gas locker and boot lid. I had been meaning to do this for a long time.
A view or two of the lake this morning before I set about my 'little jobs'.
image.jpeg

First towards Boulogne sur Gesse, second away from.
image.jpeg

Finally Helen enjoying her rest day before I started doing my little odd jobs!
image.jpeg

After my little odd jobs I settled to watch the Tour de France, chatted with Dennis on Skype and inexplicably fell asleep waking a few minutes ago to make coffee and write these few words.

à bientôt mes amis, Clive

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
jour 67 mardi le 4 juillet

Good evening from beside Lac Gimone.

I did not report yesterday as I had nothing of value to post. I took a trip to Lombez and emptied the loo. I have made mental note that in future if the 'cassette' is more than 2/3 full then I will empty it as a matter of course and save myself unecessary journies in the future. I picked up some salad items from intemarché at Boulogne sur Gesse along with another 3 departmental maps for my future travels. After the TDF next week and the Bastille day celebrations I will be making my way towards Mimizan stopping at a steam railway en route. So you will get a few quiet days from me until around 16th July probably an update somewhere though.

I was up quite early this morning and the view across the lake was beautiful with the sun making an effort to rise.
image.jpeg

I stood and just drank in the view before getting the kettle on for the first of many cups of tea. I seem to be going to sleep quite early and waking correspondingly early. I have to say that with the life style I am enjoying at the moment that it is not a problem. I listened to Steve Allen on LBC and when he finished at 0800 (CET) I took breakfast and got my bike ready for a ride. I had decided I would ride around the lake following the roads, not the shoreline.
When I went to dump the rubbish the view south to the Pyrenees was stunning, next picture.
image.jpeg

I never tire of looking at those mountains. That done I decided to transfer the pump carrier from my Specialized bike to my Cannondale the reason being that the lightweight outfit I inteded to wear would not adequately hold my mini pump. That done I was off. One or two of the hills were a little unfriendly but I did not get off at any time. My Garmin edge 1000 recorded a new heart rate award and also a new altitude record. I used my Garmin vibe to record the ride but have not taken any snap shots from the video yet. The map below shows my route around the lake, a little over 22km. I did not take a map relying on the built in one. This caused two longish pauses while I made sure I was going the correct way. The red stop marker is superimposed on the start marker.
image.jpeg

After my ride I settle back to watch the TDF on French TV. Sagan deserved his 30 second penalty. I will listen later to see how Cavendish is doing.

Presently I am sitting under the awning in the cool breeze with the mountains on my left and the lake ahead.

Thanks for looking, more in a day or two.

Clive

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Sagan's been disqualified! Decision changed, it was a deliberate elbow out IMV. Still don't know about Cavendish though, hope he's ok.
Loving your thread.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Last post on here was from Riverbankannie on 4thJuly,unless I am missing something,which is more than likely given my appalling computer skills.
Has Clive posted since then? It's now the 14th,hope he's OK

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Hi all, finally able to pen a quick couple of lines. Update on its way. We went up to Porte de Balès on Tuesday. There had been no internet at Sarah and Dennis's or mobile signal since the weekend. Then to my amazement nothing up at the Porte or tv (terrestrial) no satelite on Helen.
I have a story to tell but it will be probably late Monday as I return to civilisation. Thanks tor thinking of me. Long post to come with pictures. Excitement at the tour when a motorcycle crashed into our group we were all ok but a lady in front ended up needing paramedics etc. More on Monday

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Hi all, finally able to pen a quick couple of lines. Update on its way. We went up to Porte de Balès on Tuesday. There had been no internet at Sarah and Dennis's or mobile signal since the weekend. Then to my amazement nothing up at the Porte or tv (terrestrial) no satelite on Helen.
I have a story to tell but it will be probably late Monday as I return to civilisation. Thanks tor thinking of me. Long post to come with pictures. Excitement at the tour when a motorcycle crashed into our group we were all ok but a lady in front ended up needing paramedics etc. More on Monday
Glad you are alright and look forward to your post ! We were a tad worried!

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Rough draft for the Tour de France 2017

Jour 75 mercredi 12 juillet
Porte de Balès

Hello from Port de Balès, we arrived here yesterday having left Frontignan Savès after lunch. The route was via Lombez as a) it was necessary for me to empty the loo and b) it had been decided that the shopping could be done then. Dennis and Lawrence would shop while I went to the dump point and emptied the loo. I did not rush my duty but was back at the Intermarché car park before they emerged. Though I am pleased to say that this year they were much quicker. I had only just started to watch the tour on tv when they reappeared. We left Lombez about 1400 and set off via Isle en Dodon for here. I am pleased to say the roads were excellent with little traffic the distance of 150 kilomètres covered in just 3 hours. The last 10-15 kilomètres taking about 30 minutes. The road being exceedingly narrow, steep and with few passing places.
We saw a few campers on the climb but on reaching the Porte de Balès were quite surprised by the huge number already here. Parking close was not going to be an option and many spaces were not available as areas had been cordoned off for commercial use and the tour itself. We headed off in the only direction available and parked on a very irregular surface joining a line of campers. The view out of the windscreen across the valley and mountains was fantastic.

image.jpeg

We set everything up including the flags then had a beer sitting down in the warmth of the afternoon sun. Lawrence is an excellent chef and Dennis a very willing assistant, this enabled me to sit back and be bone idle while they prepared dinner. Dennis had brought his Cadac with him so the cooking was done outdoors and no smells in the camping car. We sat out and chatted until it turned chilly and we went inside. Despite being just under 6000 feet up there was no useful tv signal and at the parking no phone signal either, though by walking South for maybe 200 metres you could get a service. Not important for me but Dennis and Lawrence wanted to let their significant others know they were here. The lack of service is why this report is so late.
Lawrence had brought a DVD and we watched that for a while before surrendering to sleep.

image.jpeg

Helen and flags

Jour 75 mercredi le 12 juillet

Everyone was up remarkably early and after breakfast I lit the boiler for showers etc. I was a little surprised that it would run but then shut off with the failure light. I thought that maybe it was because we were not level so turned Helen around and got quite level. The fault persisted so I checked the gas and switched tanks. Still a problem. I ran the water but there were no air locks. By this time the water had heated enough and Dennis was able to take a shower. When all were ready we took a stroll down to the Porte and mooched around chatting to some excellent Australian riders who had just ridden up. I am shamed.

Sadly no riders but here is a picture of the sign all the riders posed beneath after doing their individual climbs - very well done!

image.jpeg

Returning for lunch the mist had rolled in and it became quite cold so we adjourned inside to the relative warmth and dry. Lawrence read for a while then he and Dennis dozed off. I mused over what I could do and decided to look at the Truma Boiler manual to see what might be going on as I had had no problems up until now. Reading the manual I found that I needed to leave the unit switched off for 5 minutes before turning it on again. This appears to have been my mistake and experimenting a short time ago seems to bear that out.

After a while the sleeping uglies awoke and after dinner we watched dvd I had with me issued in the centennial year of the tour. That lasted around 2 hours and required significant drinking. Following the video it was bed time. We had hoped to stay up for the feu d’artifice (fireworks) around midnight but gave that idea up. I was awoken by the noise of the fireworks and was able to watch quite a lot of the display through the open door, sadly I did not last the course.

image.jpeg

These were burned at the time of the fireworks leaving little trace in the morning!

Jour 76 jeudi le 13 juillet Stage 12 Tour de France

The morning dawned beautifully with blue skies and looking great for the tour. After breakfast we assembled our requirements and made our way over the grass bank onto the track to find somewhere to watch the tour. Dennis must give off some kind of signals because no sooner we joined the track than a man on/in a quad bike like thing appeared and offered us a lift. We were happy to put our junk in the back and let Dennis ride down with the man, Lawrence and I walked down but the opportunity relieved us of a lot of carrying. Meeting Dennis we grabbed the junk and walked down the hill in the opposite direction to the tour to find somewhere to sit. We found a good spot on the bend in a small space between two camping cars. Speaking to the owners I found they had arrived on SUNDAY and were from Carcassonne. I don’t think Alison and Sarah minded letting Dennis and Lawrence off the leash for 3 days but I think 5 would be pushing it.

Some costumed men passed by and a band set up opposite

image.jpeg

These are the men

image.jpeg

This is the band

We were in situe about 1030 with around 5 ½ hours to wait for the tour but the caravan would be through around 2 hours ahead.

Dennis and Lawrence decided to go for a walk to an nearby cliff so I was stuck looking after our bits.

image.jpeg

The two of them on cliff.

Dennis is our star catcher of junk so Lawrence and I lazed in our seats and let him get on with it. Sadly an ill mannered person kept jumping out in front of him grabbing stuff he should have caught but we still ended up with an assortment of hats and tat.

Sadly the mist rolled in and eventually it became quite foggy which precluded the helicopter coverage of this part of the stage and stopped up seeing the riders come up the zig zag hill behind us.

Eventually the tour arrived and the riders passed.

image.jpeg

When Chris Froome’s group came through I was disappointed to hear the crowd booing but moments after he passed two of the motorcycles following and filming the tour became entangled by the camera cable of the leading bike. The first was able to continue but the cable pulled the second over and launched the bike at the three of us. My video shows a lot including the cable until my camera is at my side and I am moving back away from both the bike and Dennis coming at me. Dennis ended up sat in his chair and was fine. I had no problems nor Lawrence who filmed the whole thing. Sadly a lady who had constantly been jumping in front of us continually appeared to have jumped one to often and was hit by the motorcycle receiving minor injuries but is seemed significant shock. The nearby Gendarme came over and luckily a paramedic was close and attended. As I had already indicated no phones working on the mountain so a runner was sent. Help arrived but I had to tell the supervisor who was trying to arrange transport that she was wasting her time with her phone as no service. Another runner sent and when the tour had passed the Sapeurs pompiers wagon arrived. Dennis showed the gendarme his video and arranged to copy it to him.

Before the excitement we had met an interesting father and son from Nuneaton and invited them over for drinks in the evening. I had already decided I would not be leaving the mountain in the mayhem until Friday morning sadly this meant missing the Agassac walk for the first time for many years.

Saturday was a visit with Sarah and Dennis to the wife and daughter of a sadly now deceased mutual friend and lunch taken in the attractive little town of Marciac. Excellent lunch on the 20€ menu! and I was treated. Great company and so pleasing to be able to see them after quite a while.

image.jpeg

Sunday, yesterday we were off to St Frajou where mutal friends were celebrating a birthday (Jill and Pete (21 again)). A great time had by all and new faces met.

So here we are on jour 80 lundi le 17 juillet. This morning around 1030 I left Sarah and Dennis, Alison and Lawrence leaving minutes ahead of me. They will be pleased to have the peace (but only for a day or so as another descends on them come Wednesday).

I have filled the fuel and shopped at Lombez. Emptied the loo and made my way to St Blancard at the lake to overnight before heading west tomorrow.

I don't know where I am going but the odyssey continues. All the best to you all.

This had been a longer report but I screwed up somewhere in word and lost it. Merde

à bientôt

Clive

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
There are a couple of errors above which I am sure you have worked out but it was Lawrence not Dennis who was able to give the gendarme the info. I know I should have read it through but I had already lost a shed load before. If I had read it quick enough I could have corrected sorry!

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
jour 81 lundi le 18 juillet

Good evening from Biscarosse

Not the most fulfilling of days. I left the lake at St Blancard this morning intending to visit the Ecomuesée at Sabres where there used to be a steam locomotive but now just diesels. Arriving there the engine looked so dilapidated that I decided to forget the idea and continued on to Mimizan Plage. Sadly another disappointment with no parking for camping cars close to the beach unless outside someone's house which I did not fancy so I made my way out of town found somewhere to park to take lunch and decide what I would do.

image.jpeg

Above the view from the parking on the way out of town! After lunch I meandered up the coast stopping first at Gastes but I did not like the rough surface for a charge of 7€50 a night. I should point out it was a little under 40°C by then and quite uncomfortable.

I found myself in Parentis-en-Born and visited the superU station service to get petrol for the generator. Picture below of Helen in the car park.

image.jpeg

The park4night app suggested that I could park overnight for free at Biscarosse where the market is held on a Friday so I made my way there. Picture of Helen in car park below.
image.jpeg

Below next the sign at the entrance, I am not the only camper here at the moment but despite the sign I suspect the other has been here some time.
image.jpeg

Not entirely sure what I will be up to tomorrow but whatever it is I will let you know.

All the best
Clive

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back