Health insurance

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by sally47, Nov 23, 2015.

1. sally47

sally47 Funster

I know I should expect I will but does everyone else take out personal health insurance for three weeks in France

2. The Wino

The Wino Funster

we always have an annual policy cheap so might not be he best but better than nothing

3. Eddystone

Eddystone Funster

Yes, even for those three weeks you don't know if you will need assistance, or at worse, need to be brought home.

Brian

• Like Like x 1
  4. FIDGET

FIDGET Funster

Been over , 10 times between 2 & 3weeks , up until now never bothered just took my EHIC card.
    I might do it next year as going twice & not sure how long each time.

• Like Like x 1
  5. grasscutter

grasscutter Funster Life Member

We always take out health cover. If you need repatriation and you don't have cover be prepared to sell your house.

• Like Like x 2
  6. The Wino

The Wino Funster

Would have probably done the same but we go ski-ing!!!

• Like Like x 2
  7. themogs

themogs Funster

ditto, ditto(y)

8. Tea Bag

Tea Bag Funster

Hi.
    Don't do "Planning",but i remember first wife taking out Red Pennant at least once,and a mate Brian S.... took out R/pennant and was taken very ill,heart attack,in France and were treated like royalty by R/P-Caravan club. All hospitals sorted and repatriation of car and caravan to Derbyshire,this might be worth a punt?
    Tea Bag (Transportation only... Well,that's why you get a wife!)
    PS. Keeping another mans daughter in luxury...SHEER luxury. DOH!

9. FM02MZO

FM02MZO Funster

Take your EHIC card by all means, I had to spend two nights in a hospital S E of Bordeaux last year, but although I had my EHIC card it still cost me 280 euros, that did not include any medicine only tests. When we got back home I sent all the relevant paper work up to DHSS Newcastle and they promptly replied saying that they no longer pay for any or part any treatment in EU. I then sent it to Red Pennant who reimbursed me by return.

• Like Like x 3
  10. WillH

WillH Funster

Yes, always....

11. Tea Bag

Tea Bag Funster

Hi.
    Re EHIC card,we paid in Portugal,before moving over,but it was only minor visits not worthing claiming for. We do pay for prescriptions and to see the doctor,but get a rebate from the Portugues system as we are "Older" LOL.
    Mates wife broke an arm,cost ? 35 euros.
    Tea Bag

• Like Like x 1
  12. Oriel

Oriel

Yes, we do.

13. Foghorn Leghorn

Foghorn Leghorn Funster

Always take health cover out with RP , the cost is immaterial I would rather be covered for all eventualities

• Like Like x 1
  14. sedge

sedge Funster

Well so would I but when your insurers turn round and want an extra £600 one year (That was AXA, who did Lloyd's Banks travel insurance) when you've had your pre-existing for longer than the bank account and nowt has changed, it does rather make you stick your two fingers up at them! I haven't found anyone else who will do longer than 3 month trips on an annual policy.

• Like Like x 1
  15. denisejoe

denisejoe Funster

Yes we always have health insurance. Currently use bank's annual insurance but it's limited to 30 days at a time. This is OK at the moment but once Joe retires will need to contact them to find out how much it will be to extend that and indeed if they'll even do it.

If it's not possible then will need to do a bit of a search for longer period annual insurance.

Denise

16. Dazzlin

Dazzlin Funster Life Member

If 3 months max only on offer on annual policy, try a longer single trip policy.
    We have a single trip travel policy from sept/oct til june.
    Opt out of the baggage and cancellation cover then we don't have to give dates of travel, but covered for medical.

17. scousebird

scousebird Funster

Yes. Annual multi-trip policy

18. scousebird

scousebird Funster

Taken from .gov website

Each country's health system is different and might not include all the things you would expect to get free of charge from the NHS. This means you may have to make a patient contribution to the cost of your care. For more information, see our county-by-country guide.

New EHIC rules mean you will no longer be able to claim refunds for patient contributions (co-payments) in the UK for treatment received after July 1 2014.

[​IMG]
    In an emergency, you can dial the European emergency number 112 from any telephone or mobile phone.

• The EHIC will cover any medical treatment that becomes necessary during your trip, such as an illness or accident.
    • The card gives access to reduced-cost or free medical treatment from state healthcare providers. This includes treatment for a chronic or pre-existing medical condition that becomes necessary during your visit.
    • It includes routine maternity care (not only because of illness or an accident), as long as you're not going abroad to give birth. However, if the birth happens unexpectedly, the card will cover the cost of all medical treatment for mother and baby linked to the birth.
    • The card covers the provision of oxygen and kidney dialysis, although you will have to arrange and pre-book these treatments before you go on holiday. You can ask your GP or hospital for advice, but make sure you are not booked with a private healthcare provider, as these are not covered by the EHIC.
    • The card also covers routine medical care for people with pre-existing conditions that need monitoring.
    [​IMG]The EHIC is not an alternative to travel insurance. It will not cover any private medical healthcare or costs, such as mountain rescue in ski resorts, being flown back to the UK, or lost or stolen property. This makes it important to have both an EHIC and a valid private travel insurance policy. Some insurers now insist you hold an EHIC, and many will waive the excess if you have one.

The EHIC will not cover your medical expenses if you are going abroad specifically to have treatment (including giving birth). Read more about planned treatment abroad.

You may not be able to use the card in some parts of the EEA as state-provided healthcare may not be available.

• Like Like x 2
  19. sedge

sedge Funster

Yes - you have also to be aware that some state's health cover is not as comprehensive as ours - eg I get free scrips - I'm retired plus had a medical exemption - here - but in France though the state will provide my treatment free and my scrip free, I will have to pay upfront at the pharmacy and there is ALWAYS a co-pay on the drugs. The EHIC will not refund that co-pay. It won't be an arm and a leg in most cases - unless of course you have some sort of dire emergency and need extra-expensive drugs.

I have thought of doing one-off covers, it's such a PITA though when you've always had annual cover and not had to think about it.

Could you tell me please, which insurer(s) allow you to exclude baggage cover? - haven't come across any that were at all flexible since about 1980!!

20. Dazzlin

Dazzlin Funster Life Member

We use justtravelcover.com
    Exclude baggage and cancellation.
    No loading for t2.
    Don't know about t1. Good luck