Health insurance (1 Viewer)

Apr 29, 2014
Warwickshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Chieftain
Exp
Since 2004
I know I should expect I will but does everyone else take out personal health insurance for three weeks in France

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
we always have an annual policy cheap so might not be he best but better than nothing

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
Yes, even for those three weeks you don't know if you will need assistance, or at worse, need to be brought home.

Brian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Been over , 10 times between 2 & 3weeks , up until now never bothered just took my EHIC card.
I might do it next year as going twice & not sure how long each time.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Don't do "Planning",but i remember first wife taking out Red Pennant at least once,and a mate Brian S.... took out R/pennant and was taken very ill,heart attack,in France and were treated like royalty by R/P-Caravan club. All hospitals sorted and repatriation of car and caravan to Derbyshire,this might be worth a punt?
Tea Bag (Transportation only... Well,that's why you get a wife!)
PS. Keeping another mans daughter in luxury...SHEER luxury. DOH!

FM02MZO

Free Member
Jun 22, 2012
Castle Donington
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
30 years caravan, 2 year motorhome
Been over , 10 times between 2 & 3weeks , up until now never bothered just took my EHIC card.
I might do it next year as going twice & not sure how long each time.

Take your EHIC card by all means, I had to spend two nights in a hospital S E of Bordeaux last year, but although I had my EHIC card it still cost me 280 euros, that did not include any medicine only tests. When we got back home I sent all the relevant paper work up to DHSS Newcastle and they promptly replied saying that they no longer pay for any or part any treatment in EU. I then sent it to Red Pennant who reimbursed me by return.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Re EHIC card,we paid in Portugal,before moving over,but it was only minor visits not worthing claiming for. We do pay for prescriptions and to see the doctor,but get a rebate from the Portugues system as we are "Older" LOL.
Mates wife broke an arm,cost ? 35 euros.
Tea Bag

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Always take health cover out with RP , the cost is immaterial I would rather be covered for all eventualities
Well so would I but when your insurers turn round and want an extra £600 one year (That was AXA, who did Lloyd's Banks travel insurance) when you've had your pre-existing for longer than the bank account and nowt has changed, it does rather make you stick your two fingers up at them! I haven't found anyone else who will do longer than 3 month trips on an annual policy.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Yes we always have health insurance. Currently use bank's annual insurance but it's limited to 30 days at a time. This is OK at the moment but once Joe retires will need to contact them to find out how much it will be to extend that and indeed if they'll even do it.

If it's not possible then will need to do a bit of a search for longer period annual insurance.

Denise

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
If 3 months max only on offer on annual policy, try a longer single trip policy.
We have a single trip travel policy from sept/oct til june.
Opt out of the baggage and cancellation cover then we don't have to give dates of travel, but covered for medical.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Taken from .gov website

Each country's health system is different and might not include all the things you would expect to get free of charge from the NHS. This means you may have to make a patient contribution to the cost of your care. For more information, see our county-by-country guide.

New EHIC rules mean you will no longer be able to claim refunds for patient contributions (co-payments) in the UK for treatment received after July 1 2014.

Tip_C.jpg

In an emergency, you can dial the European emergency number 112 from any telephone or mobile phone.

• The EHIC will cover any medical treatment that becomes necessary during your trip, such as an illness or accident.
  • The card gives access to reduced-cost or free medical treatment from state healthcare providers. This includes treatment for a chronic or pre-existing medical condition that becomes necessary during your visit.
  • It includes routine maternity care (not only because of illness or an accident), as long as you're not going abroad to give birth. However, if the birth happens unexpectedly, the card will cover the cost of all medical treatment for mother and baby linked to the birth.
  • The card covers the provision of oxygen and kidney dialysis, although you will have to arrange and pre-book these treatments before you go on holiday. You can ask your GP or hospital for advice, but make sure you are not booked with a private healthcare provider, as these are not covered by the EHIC.
  • The card also covers routine medical care for people with pre-existing conditions that need monitoring.
CSE_45x45_183286803.jpg
The EHIC is not an alternative to travel insurance. It will not cover any private medical healthcare or costs, such as mountain rescue in ski resorts, being flown back to the UK, or lost or stolen property. This makes it important to have both an EHIC and a valid private travel insurance policy. Some insurers now insist you hold an EHIC, and many will waive the excess if you have one.

The EHIC will not cover your medical expenses if you are going abroad specifically to have treatment (including giving birth). Read more about planned treatment abroad.

You may not be able to use the card in some parts of the EEA as state-provided healthcare may not be available.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Yes - you have also to be aware that some state's health cover is not as comprehensive as ours - eg I get free scrips - I'm retired plus had a medical exemption - here - but in France though the state will provide my treatment free and my scrip free, I will have to pay upfront at the pharmacy and there is ALWAYS a co-pay on the drugs. The EHIC will not refund that co-pay. It won't be an arm and a leg in most cases - unless of course you have some sort of dire emergency and need extra-expensive drugs.

I have thought of doing one-off covers, it's such a PITA though when you've always had annual cover and not had to think about it.

Could you tell me please, which insurer(s) allow you to exclude baggage cover? - haven't come across any that were at all flexible since about 1980!!

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
Yes - you have also to be aware that some state's health cover is not as comprehensive as ours - eg I get free scrips - I'm retired plus had a medical exemption - here - but in France though the state will provide my treatment free and my scrip free, I will have to pay upfront at the pharmacy and there is ALWAYS a co-pay on the drugs. The EHIC will not refund that co-pay. It won't be an arm and a leg in most cases - unless of course you have some sort of dire emergency and need extra-expensive drugs.

I have thought of doing one-off covers, it's such a PITA though when you've always had annual cover and not had to think about it.

Could you tell me please, which insurer(s) allow you to exclude baggage cover? - haven't come across any that were at all flexible since about 1980!!
We use justtravelcover.com
Exclude baggage and cancellation.
No loading for t2.
Don't know about t1. Good luck

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
Well so would I but when your insurers turn round and want an extra £600 one year (That was AXA, who did Lloyd's Banks travel insurance) when you've had your pre-existing for longer than the bank account and nowt has changed, it does rather make you stick your two fingers up at them! I haven't found anyone else who will do longer than 3 month trips on an annual policy.

The world of travel insurance changes when you are over 65. My wife is under 65 and I am 66 and previously we have paid about £70.00 for an annual multi trip policy for the both of us. However now I am 66 they will only do trips of 30 days as standard. Therefore we have taken out "Single Trip" insurance for our 80 days away this winter and have found the company Annual Travel Insurance to be the cheapest at £117.00. As far as Caravan Club / Red Pennant is concerned they wanted in excess of £500.00 for the same cover.
We are, thankfully, as healthy today as we were 10 years ago. We take regular exercise and do not smoke, although we do like a little drinkie when there is a "Y" in the day. If I was a 64 year old couch potato who smoked 100 fags a day I would have no problem with insurance. So if you are happy to reward companies like Red Pennant for abysmal value for money in what is supposed to be a competitive market place then please feel free to do so.

The Tinca's

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Yes always. We buy an annual policy, not a huge expense when compared to other costs. The insurance industry is like the Wild West ....full of Cowboys, be careful to tell them all your health issues or they will use any excuse to avoid their liabilities, their natural behaviour is to run to the hills and leave you stranded, so be careful not to give them an excuse.

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Just done our Travel insurance with Staysure they wanted the exact date we will be arriving back in the uk , not when our tickets were valid until .
No problem when i said we were going to Morocco.

The Van insurance was no problem ( Safeguard ) got the 3 month green card just in case ...

Just the personal health / travel insurance , We were with C & CC but it has gone up over £200 since last year .with less cove and more restrictions with the number of days out of the UK ,

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We take out backpacker with insure and go single trip policy covers us for 130 days £176 for the two of us over 60 with medical screening .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back