headlight deflectors

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Adam b, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Adam b

Adam b Read Only Funster

looking at taking our first trip to france, can someone tell me the best deflectors to fit, its new shape transit,

2. Allanm

Allanm Funster

Eurolites seem to be the main ones. Get them from Halfords if you are in a hurry or Amazon for a third the price.
    Some people stick on bits of tape in the right places, but you risk burning the plastic headlight lenses.
    Or, do as most people seem to do, don't bother, just aim your headlights down as much as you can. :RollEyes:
    I use Eurolites from Amazon, £2.84 a set with free delivery.

Allan

3. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

Waste of time don't bother, most of the time you will be parked up during the dark hours...........:Eeek:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Allanm

Allanm Funster

Apart from running the risk of an instant fine for not having them fitted at all times ( day or night), if you have a bump over in le continent and you don't have deflectors fitted, your insurance company has a legal get out to helping you by telling you that you were not conforming to the legal requirements of the country you are driving in.

If you are planning to go over a lot, you can also buy headlight protectors with beam deflectors built in, or just stick a set on the protectors for use abroad and remove them when you are back home

Allan

• Like Like x 2
  5. Rapide561

Rapide561 Read Only Funster

Tape

I use a bit of black tape and remove it as soon as we are home. Google will help you where to position it. One 20p roll will last as long as me!

Russell

6. keith

keith Funster

I don't quite understand this, because the ones you buy are stick on, so what's the difference?

7. Allanm

Allanm Funster

The ones you buy have reflective backs to reflect the heat back into the lamp. I have read that black tape can cause heat build up and could burn or discolour the plastic headlamps.
    I would use it, as I have done countless times on glass headlamps, but, I'd rather pay a bit more to save my lamps unless someone can discount that rumour( probably put out by the people who make the proper deflectors!)
    Having said that, I just bought some headlamp protectors with beam deflectors built in so won't be buying anymore deflectors.
    £25 well spent
    Allan

8. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

As Rapide.. A couple of bits of black tape.. Absolutely fine..

Park mh facing wall ( about 4 metres away )

use a bit of card to experiment where to put the tape. All you are looking to do is blank the bit of beam ( on dip ) that points to the left.
    Once you know where it has to go just use a couple of bits of black sticky tape.

Addendum:

This method is acceptable even for an MOT here in the UK, if you have a lhd motor with the right hand dip lights still fitted.
    You may get an advisory but it is perfectly acceptable and legal

9. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

But But But according to Allanm your insurance will not cover it as back sticky tape is not covered. I stick to my original post "Waste of time"
    How do I know we were stopped by traffic cops on A1 in March for routine check ( we drive a Spanish registered van ) he did his checks ( 10 minutes worth ) and DO NOT once look at my head lights!!!! He even asked about our scooter and removed the cover and again DID NOT look at the headlight......... Don't waste your money, but at the end of the day it's up to you.......

10. froggy59

froggy59 Funster

we have a transit base vehicle and have just done 3 weeks in France,didn't bother with beam bender this time for the fear of damaging the plastic headlight lens.:cry:

Alan

• Like Like x 1
  11. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

Enough said I think......:Wink:

12. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

13. keith

keith Funster

For the last 6 winters we have spent 5 months in southern Europe and each year I have applied some form of stickers to our headlights every year.

Paid the money and used the Halfrauds stick on ones, a bugger to get off, with no damage to the plastic.

Then tried black tape, no problem and they came off easily with no damage to the plastic.

Then tried white tape (still blocks the glare) still with no damage to the lens.

Driving through Europe in the winter means our headlights are often on all day so people who say they never use theirs maybe only go in the summer.

So, all in all why worry? Our MH is now 6 years old and the plastic of the headlights are like new.