Adam b

Free Member
Jul 3, 2013
South queensferry
Funster No
MH
Auto cruise carrera4
Exp
looking at taking our first trip to france, can someone tell me the best deflectors to fit, its new shape transit,

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Eurolites seem to be the main ones. Get them from Halfords if you are in a hurry or Amazon for a third the price.
Some people stick on bits of tape in the right places, but you risk burning the plastic headlight lenses.
Or, do as most people seem to do, don't bother, just aim your headlights down as much as you can. :RollEyes:
I use Eurolites from Amazon, £2.84 a set with free delivery.

Allan

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Waste of time don't bother, most of the time you will be parked up during the dark hours...........:Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Apart from running the risk of an instant fine for not having them fitted at all times ( day or night), if you have a bump over in le continent and you don't have deflectors fitted, your insurance company has a legal get out to helping you by telling you that you were not conforming to the legal requirements of the country you are driving in.

If you are planning to go over a lot, you can also buy headlight protectors with beam deflectors built in, or just stick a set on the protectors for use abroad and remove them when you are back home

Allan

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Tape

I use a bit of black tape and remove it as soon as we are home. Google will help you where to position it. One 20p roll will last as long as me!

Russell

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Some people stick on bits of tape in the right places, but you risk burning the plastic headlight lenses.

Allan

I don't quite understand this, because the ones you buy are stick on, so what's the difference?

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
The ones you buy have reflective backs to reflect the heat back into the lamp. I have read that black tape can cause heat build up and could burn or discolour the plastic headlamps.
I would use it, as I have done countless times on glass headlamps, but, I'd rather pay a bit more to save my lamps unless someone can discount that rumour( probably put out by the people who make the proper deflectors!)
Having said that, I just bought some headlamp protectors with beam deflectors built in so won't be buying anymore deflectors.
£25 well spent
Allan

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
As Rapide.. A couple of bits of black tape.. Absolutely fine..

Park mh facing wall ( about 4 metres away )

use a bit of card to experiment where to put the tape. All you are looking to do is blank the bit of beam ( on dip ) that points to the left.
Once you know where it has to go just use a couple of bits of black sticky tape.

Addendum:

This method is acceptable even for an MOT here in the UK, if you have a lhd motor with the right hand dip lights still fitted.
You may get an advisory but it is perfectly acceptable and legal

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
As Rapide.. A couple of bits of black tape.. Absolutely fine..

Park mh facing wall ( about 4 metres away )

use a bit of card to experiment where to put the tape. All you are looking to do is blank the bit of beam ( on dip ) that points to the left.
Once you know where it has to go just use a couple of bits of black sticky tape.

Addendum:

This method is acceptable even for an MOT here in the UK, if you have a lhd motor with the right hand dip lights still fitted.
You may get an advisory but it is perfectly acceptable and legal

But But But according to Allanm your insurance will not cover it as back sticky tape is not covered. I stick to my original post "Waste of time"
How do I know we were stopped by traffic cops on A1 in March for routine check ( we drive a Spanish registered van ) he did his checks ( 10 minutes worth ) and DO NOT once look at my head lights!!!! He even asked about our scooter and removed the cover and again DID NOT look at the headlight......... Don't waste your money, but at the end of the day it's up to you.......

froggy59

Free Member
Jul 12, 2011
walkden
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2009
we have a transit base vehicle and have just done 3 weeks in France,didn't bother with beam bender this time for the fear of damaging the plastic headlight lens.:cry:

Alan

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We got these, have been told about sticking things on plastic lenses, but the choice is yours. :Smile:
Protects the headlight its marked for Europe and we spend 6 months over there. :Eeek: Bob.

Link Removed

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
For the last 6 winters we have spent 5 months in southern Europe and each year I have applied some form of stickers to our headlights every year.

Paid the money and used the Halfrauds stick on ones, a bugger to get off, with no damage to the plastic.

Then tried black tape, no problem and they came off easily with no damage to the plastic.

Then tried white tape (still blocks the glare) still with no damage to the lens.

Driving through Europe in the winter means our headlights are often on all day so people who say they never use theirs maybe only go in the summer.

So, all in all why worry? Our MH is now 6 years old and the plastic of the headlights are like new.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back