Has anyone upgraded their motorhome themselves....without going through svtech etc? (5 Viewers)

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
My personal experience with JR Colsutancy was a positive one like so many others. I contacted John, sent him a picture of the manufacturers plate and tyres fitted, confirmed that I had disc brakes all round with ABS/traction control. John confirmed with me what I could uprate to with and without fitting rear air assistance. On the basis I wanted the maximum uprate in GVM, I would need to send him evidence that the rear air assistance had been fitted. He then supplied me with the necessary paperwork to send to DVLA.

Overall a very positive experience and wouldn't hesitate to recommend his services.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
That is an interesting point which I hadn't appreciated. One (normally) has front and rear axle limits and an overall vehicle limit which is less than the sum of the two. I would have guessed that one could reduce the overall limit without reducing the individual axle limits, but would obviously have guessed incorrectly. If this can be easily answered, how does this work? Is there a formula by which they reduce the individual axle loads in such a case?
I would imagine that if you downplate the axle weights will revert back to the original ones (assuming it was uprated previously) otherwise if the axle weights remained at the higher level you could run the risk of ending up with your camper sitting on its haunches if you get carried away! Never done a down plate so can't say for sure but something to check out just in case.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I would imagine that if you downplate the axle weights will revert back to the original ones (assuming it was uprated previously) otherwise if the axle weights remained at the higher level you could run the risk of ending up with your camper sitting on its haunches if you get carried away! Never done a down plate so can't say for sure but something to check out just in case.

You can actually uprate just one axle without changing the gross weight.

That would be the next thing for me if I needed to - we're at the max gross we can have on the chassis but if I wanted to faff around with air suspension and tyres I could add another 240kg to the rear. The gross would stay the same.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You can actually uprate just one axle without changing the gross weight.

That would be the next thing for me if I needed to - we're at the max gross we can have on the chassis but if I wanted to faff around with air suspension and tyres I could add another 240kg to the rear. The gross would stay the same.
I understand that, we could go further with ours if we did some mods etc and gain another 250kg but we've got more than we need as it is now but when downplating it may mean that the axle weights are also reduced as a safety measure as much as anything.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I understand that, we could go further with ours if we did some mods etc and gain another 250kg but we've got more than we need as it is now but when downplating it may mean that the axle weights are also reduced as a safety measure as much as anything.

They don't. When we bought ours the two axles were plated at their max as they are now but the gross was considerably lower.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi
I am awaiting the upgraded plate details from John....but I'm finding it hard to get him to explain what I do next! Where did you get your engraved updated weight plate please? And also how did you get the VTG 6 R ...do we get anything from John to send to them, he may be cheaper.and seems a pleasant enough bloke..but I'm struggling to get him to explain things clearly!
Hi Sue,
It is not necessary to install either an updated engraved weight plate, nor a VTG 6 R. John Ruffles supplies all you need, in the way of a sticky backed label, and his own design weight certificate.
I have chosen to get my VTG 6 R from Swansea, to replace the one that (the then) VOSA arranged for me on the first weight uprate about two years ago.
I have also chosen to install an engraved weight plate under the bonnet, which I received today from a mate down the pub ;) who works for an HGV body converter company. They apply converter's plates to every truck that leaves their factory, so it's a pucka plate which has been produced for me..................and very official looking it is too. :) The plate, and the tube of Sikaflex adhesive to affix it, cost me 3 x pints of Guinness (not charged, but offered and accepted). ;) Job sorted. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: Sue
Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
I once repaired a car for an employee at a vosa (DSA)site, I asked if it was possible to change a motorhome weight myself without using an agency like SV tech, he had a chat with his colleagues, collectively they decided that depending on circumstances it may well be possible, after all they said part of their work involved doing this with horse boxes and the like. Apparently many horse boxes are down plated so they can be driven on a car licence. I haven't followed it up, many years of towing race cars all over Europe has taught me that the various road agency's have little interest in the weight of private vehicles, driving fast in the third lane towing a trailer however is a different matter entirely.

Reactions: Sue

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back