Has anyone upgraded their motorhome themselves....without going through svtech etc? (1 Viewer)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
You can use another engineer instead of SV Tech. The one Mel found is JR Consultancy. You need to do more yourself than you do with SV but he's a bit cheaper.

If the question is can you do it yourself without using any engineer or consultant at all then I believe the answer is no. You can't just phone them up and say I want my van to be plated at 4000kg or whatever.

You need to supply DVLA with certain data to prove that the vehicle is capable of carrying the new weight and they require this data to be from someone who is qualified to provide it which is where the engineer comes in.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: DBK

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You can use another engineer instead of SV Tech. The one Mel found is JR Consultancy. You need to do more yourself than you do with SV but he's a bit cheaper.
You don't need to do much more than you would for SVTech and he's about half the cost.

If the question is can you do it yourself without using any engineer or consultant at all then I believe the answer is no. You can't just phone them up and say I want my van to be plated at 4000kg or whatever.

You need to supply DVLA with certain data to prove that the vehicle is capable of carrying the new weight and they require this data to be from someone who is qualified to provide it which is where the engineer comes in.
Correct ... despite our PVC being built on the heavy chassis and capable of 4250kg I still had to get this confirmed by John (engineer).

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You can downgrade yourself but to upgrade you an engineer's statement confirming the chassis is capable of taking the additional load.
When I upgraded my van I found I was still limited to 2000 kg on the read axle I wouldn't have known without speaking to SV Tech.
Also the weight plates can only be produced by recognised engineers/companies.

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
Wouldn't the motorhome manufacture certify it, in a letter / email if it could originally have been either?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Wouldn't the motorhome manufacture certify it, in a letter / email if it could originally have been either?
You'll be lucky ... they usually don't' want to know ... I tried that and got nowhere!

I did a LOT of research, ringing round etc before I found John ... even other companies told me to ring try him ... if you want to try to find another way I'm sure others would love to know but I seriously doubt if there is one as I'm sure I would have found it.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
If you want a complete package SVTech are your best choice.
You can contact SVtech easily, JR can be hard to contact.
If cost is important and you dont have any questions then JR is an option.

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
You can downgrade yourself but to upgrade you an engineer's statement confirming the chassis is capable of taking the additional load.
When I upgraded my van I found I was still limited to 2000 kg on the read axle I wouldn't have known without speaking to SV Tech.
Also the weight plates can only be produced by recognised engineers/companies.[/QUOTE

Interesting how do you go about down rating, just as a matter of interest, 70 next birthday?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
@Kevan ... ref downrating ... AFAIK it's just a paper exercise, probably just complete the bottom sections on page 2 of your V5C and send it in BUT before you do so you need to make sure that you will still have sufficient payload to use the vehicle and also bear in mind that in doing so you will reduce your individual axle weights, eg if you have 2400kg on the rear this will likely drop to 2000kg ...

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Suffolk. Near Bury st Edmunds
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
You'll be lucky ... they usually don't' want to know ... I tried that and got nowhere!

I did a LOT of research, ringing round etc before I found John ... even other companies told me to ring try him ... if you want to try to find another way I'm sure others would love to know but I seriously doubt if there is one as I'm sure I would have found it.
Thanks for this , I have contacted John...and will use him. He is a little (don't know which word to,use....vague? Maybe?...although he does reply to emails) , but I am pleased that you recommend him

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Thanks for this , I have contacted John...and will use him. He is a little (don't know which word to,use....vague? Maybe?...although he does reply to emails) , but I am pleased that you recommend him
John's fine, he's an older chap and 'old school' so doesn't like to 'promise' he can do it for you without all the info ... nothing to worry about as it's just his way.

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
@Kevan ... ref downrating ... AFAIK it's just a paper exercise, probably just complete the bottom sections on page 2 of your V5C and send it in BUT before you do so you need to make sure that you will still have sufficient payload to use the vehicle and also bear in mind that in doing so you will reduce your individual axle weights, eg if you have 2400kg on the rear this will likely drop to 2000kg ...
will just mean getting everything out batts, gas bottles, spare wheel, etc and a trip to the weigh bridge, it was uprated by svtech from 3500 to 3850

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Correct ... despite our PVC being built on the heavy chassis and capable of 4250kg I still had to get this confirmed by John (engineer).

The reason for that is pretty simple.

The DVLA is little more than a call centre and the people there are by no means engineers.

You could tell them 4250 or 42 tonnes and most of them wouldn't know the difference. Most of them wouldn't even be able to look at manufacturers design data to verify what you were telling them even if DVLA maintained a database of such information for every vehicle available in this country which they don't.

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I agree, all down to the medical i think, or change Motorhome, if i have to, typical off the French and German Motorhomes giving little payload, would be a shame because we really like this Moterhome had, it from new.
... in which case get yourself to a gym this year and get really, really, REALLY fit then you'll pass the medical to keep your licence without any problem ... just don't keel over by doing too much! :D

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
You don't need to do much more than you would for SVTech and he's about half the cost.

As Jez has posted I think the difference is that John is fine if you know what you want to do, SV are better if you don't really know.

You knew that you wanted 4250kg, that you could get 4250kg as a paper exercise and you didn't need advice. All you wanted was the paperwork so the least expensive option was the obvious way to go.

For people that don't have a clue what their options are or have other questions SV are the better choice. It's the motorhome specific product knowledge and experience that you pay for. When I rang them for mine all I said was it's a Rapido 9090df and he immediately said "oh yes, that's the Alko one isn't it" and rattled off three or four upgrade options for me from the top of his head.

For a newbie or for someone who doesn't really understand what they're doing or what their options are the cheapest person isn't necessarily the best person for the job.

Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010

That is an interesting point which I hadn't appreciated. One (normally) has front and rear axle limits and an overall vehicle limit which is less than the sum of the two. I would have guessed that one could reduce the overall limit without reducing the individual axle limits, but would obviously have guessed incorrectly. If this can be easily answered, how does this work? Is there a formula by which they reduce the individual axle loads in such a case?

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
SVTech informed me that uplating the GVW of the vehicle, would not increase the GTW. Really? :eek:

It's strange then, that uplating through JR Consultancy instead, has increased my GTW from 5300 to 6500Kgs. (y)

I hope to pick up my updated weight plate today, which is being engraved with all the same details on the design weight certificate, as supplied by John Ruffles. Because I personally feel that his looks a bit pants, I also have a more official looking design weight certificate from Swansea, ie, a VTG 6 R

Cheers,

Jock. :)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
SVTech informed me that uplating the GVW of the vehicle, would not increase the GTW. Really? :eek:

It's strange then, that uplating through JR Consultancy instead, has increased my GTW from 5300 to 6500Kgs. (y)

I hope to pick up my updated weight plate today, which is being engraved with all the same details on the design weight certificate, as supplied by John Ruffles. Because I personally feel that his looks a bit pants, I also have a more official looking design weight certificate from Swansea, ie, a VTG 6 R

Cheers,

There are sometimes genuine motorhome specific reasons why the train weight doesn't increase with the vehicle weight. I've even read of a couple of cases where uprating the gross has caused the train weight to decrease.

I know it's easy to listen to the person telling you what you want to hear but be careful.

I'd be inclined to ask SVTech exactly why they said that and then refer that to John.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

That is an interesting point which I hadn't appreciated. One (normally) has front and rear axle limits and an overall vehicle limit which is less than the sum of the two. I would have guessed that one could reduce the overall limit without reducing the individual axle limits, but would obviously have guessed incorrectly. If this can be easily answered, how does this work? Is there a formula by which they reduce the individual axle loads in such a case?

The axle weights don't have to reduce as well.

There's nothing anywhere that says the combined maximum axle weights have to equal the maximum gross weight.

If you have a higher total, for example 1850 front, 2000 back and 3500 gross, all it means is that you can have 2000 on the rear as long as the total weight doesn't exceed the 3500.

It's particularly useful for vehicles where the weight distribution isn't great.

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
A question slightly off topic from what the OP has asked but same subject.

Where do you place the uprated sticker, on top of the converters sticker or next to it?

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Suffolk. Near Bury st Edmunds
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best

Cheers,

Hi
I am awaiting the upgraded plate details from John....but I'm finding it hard to get him to explain what I do next! Where did you get your engraved updated weight plate please? And also how did you get the VTG 6 R ...do we get anything from John to send to them, he may be cheaper.and seems a pleasant enough bloke..but I'm struggling to get him to explain things clearly!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
A question slightly off topic from what the OP has asked but same subject.

Where do you place the uprated sticker, on top of the converters sticker or next to it?

Anywhere convenient. Ours is in the cab.

As long you can point it out to anyone who needs to see it then it really doesn't matter.

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
Hi
I am awaiting the upgraded plate details from John....but I'm finding it hard to get him to explain what I do next! Where did you get your engraved updated weight plate please? And also how did you get the VTG 6 R ...do we get anything from John to send to them, he may be cheaper.and seems a pleasant enough bloke..but I'm struggling to get him to explain things clearly!
John will send you all the info as well as what you need to send DVLA. Just waiting for my V5 to be returned following the helpful services of JR consultancy(y)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Hi

It doesn't necessarily have to be an engraved metal plate. A printed sticker is fine.

You should get all the paperwork you need from John to send off with your V5C.

KEEP COPIES OF EVERYTHING. The nice people in Swansea have been known to lose paperwork and then deny all knowledge of ever receiving it. :whistle:

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
What are the costs & timescales of SVTech vs JR Consultancy?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
What are the costs & timescales of SVTech vs JR Consultancy?

As has already been posted JR is considerably cheaper but you need to pretty much know exactly what you want to do and what to ask him for. If you don't know what the options are for your particular vehicle or don't understand how the process works in general then you would be better off using SV.

It's not their timescales you need to worry about, I think both are usually pretty good. It's DVLA that will cause you a problem there. Once you send the paperwork off to them it could be anywhere between 10 days and 6 months depending on how lucky you get.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back