Hands free ban in France.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by New Dawn, Mar 3, 2015.

1. New Dawn

New Dawn Funster

Just been informed of this ban. Ideal in one way. Just don't let the other half talk whilst driving in France. past a gendarme, or even police car, in case they think your on the phone. At last !!! Our ears get a well deserved rest. Peace & quite, only the radio to listen to. :clap2::clap2::clap2::Ta2::merci:

• Like Like x 2
  2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

should also ban them here

more info

http://www.languedocliving.com/france-bans-hands-free-kits-to-cut-road-deaths-news-2352.html

also a good move

Zero tolerance on alcohol for young drivers

Despite several shock campaigns aimed at dissuading young people from drink-driving, it appears they have failed to work and the government has decided to get tough. There will be a zero tolerance approach towards young people and drink driving. The legal alcohol limit will be reduced from the current 0.5mg/ml to 0.2mg/ml for young drivers, which is basically the equivalent of less than a half a pint.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

The hands free bit seems to be talking about these ones thst fit in your ear or other headsets. The hands free in my car is part of it and cannot be removed.
    The hands free as far as I am concerned is not a distraction as I get very few calls, but I do find passengers talking to me a distraction, so don't answer if they talk to me, they usually take the hint and stop.

• Like Like x 1
  4. John & Joan

John & Joan Funster

I can make my Nuvi5000 SatNav act as a hands free phone. No need to touch anything and the phone can even be in the back if the MH out of reach.

This may be of interest:
    http://www.fleetpoint.org/top-news/drivers-norfolk-get-mobile-warning/28740/
    Following a successful trial, a new system that detects whether a mobile phone is being used in a vehicle is about to be rolled out across Norfolk.

The Mobile Phone Detection System (MPDS) is a portable system which identifies whether people are using their mobile phone in a vehicle.

The MPDS is part of the latest enforcement and promotional campaign being run by the Think! Norfolk road safety partnership to remind drivers that using a mobile when behind the wheel is one of the biggest causes of accidents and fatalities on our roads.

The rollout came following a national enforcement campaign in the county last month which targeted drivers using mobile phones.

So far the MPDS is exclusive to Norfolk but it has been welcomed by many road safety groups as an innovative way to get the message across to drivers that using your mobile while driving is one of the most dangerous driving behaviours.

The system targets those using a mobile phone in a vehicle whether on a phone call or receiving/sending a text message… although the daft thing is it can’t differentiate if the mobile phone is being used by a passenger or not which may leave the driver feeling unfairly persecuted or paranoid about prosecution.

Norfolk Constabulary is warning that if drivers are caught using a mobile phone while behind the wheel they will be given a £60 fixed penalty notice and have their licence endorsed with 3 penalty points. This fine can also rise to £1000 if taken to court and £2500 if driving a bus, coach, or heavy goods vehicle.

Iain Temperton, Road Safety Manager at Norfolk County Council, added: “The system can’t detect whether its a passenger using a phone in a vehicle or whether a hands-free device is being used. But of course, those people don’t need to be worried if they get a flash from the sign.”

5. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Ban drinking completely as far as I'm concerned I see no point in having a limit which no one understands.
    Hands free yeah we have one a Parrot in van and an automated one standard in the car. Both are dangerous even though hands stay on the wheel amazing how when you've finished a conversation you have no idea about the driving you've just done can't be good for concentration.

• Like Like x 5
  6. bungy

bungy Funster

would i be right in assuming they mean using - as in holding it to make calls?

or using as in, my phone is in my bag in the boot but im on a call through the Bluetooth set up in the car and control on the wheel in front of me...as are the stereo, cruise control and all the other bits and bobs?

If its the former - yeah good! if its the latter..well...what next...banning the radio and talking in a car?????

• Like Like x 2
  7. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I agree, and I've always maintained it's not the physical part of using a phone that is dangerous, but the conversation that distracts .. .

• Like Like x 4
  8. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

"Hans free" the German lady said as she left the divorce court.

• Like Like x 6
  9. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Should ban talk about Welsh Rugby in all vehicles or public places that would get my vote.;)(y):)
    Mate:whistle:

• Like Like x 3
  10. WillH

WillH Funster

When I was working one of my responsibilities was the company Health and Safety Policy Document, as we were a multinational company operating ferries it was quite a hefty manual. I always had trouble explaining to senior managers that "hands-free" telephone systems fitted to company vehicles were prohibited by this document. We deemed them unsafe to use whilst driving. I still hold the same view.

• Like Like x 1
  11. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

So which is it to be.....zero tolerance or 0.2mg

Zero tolerance is exactly that...zero, nothing, nada. Zilch.

12. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

13. busby

busby Funster

Fully agree but the old CB for some reason did not cause the same lack of concentration. I was terrible for using phone years ago but after having a near miss i never never even look to see who is ringing..Can always pull up when it is safe..Nothing is that important it cannot wait ten minutes. BUSBY

14. Tea Bag

Tea Bag Funster

Hi.
    When doing a trip with a passenger/mate chatting away in the cab,it took longer than when being on my own in the lorry.... Diastraction ? Yes.......... Or was i driving more carefully ?....... This is a tough one to call.
    Tea Bag
    PS ...Distraction as well....LOL

• Like Like x 1
  15. cruiser

cruiser Funster Life Member

its all right for the police to use them when driving solo. and its alright for people to smoke. until you stop all it will take life's.

16. tofo

tofo Funster

Got differant ringtones for important callers
    Eg Mrs t ,son and daughter,

Phone. Rings pull over turn engine off
    keys out ring em back

Anyone else tuff wait till journey end

17. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

The reason that it isn't zero is because you don't need to have had an alcoholic drink to produce a reading of breath alcohol. Mouth wash contains alcohol, in fact the human body will produce alcohol after consumption of some sugary foods! Hence it is totally unenforceable to have a zero limit that has no discretion.

18. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

The article appears only to be talking about bluetooth ear piece, head phones etc; all of which are totally banned here. Only a completely hands free auto answer/disconnect is legal.
    I agree with other posters in that talking on any phone system is the same as talking to a passenger. You do not have undivided attention on the road.

Another point in the article re; tinted windows isn't going to get far as the EU already had multiple fines pending & enforced against any country , greece being the worst, that does not allow tinting under EU rules.

19. busby

busby Funster

There are no police patrols anywhere now days so really you can please your self...BUSBY:):):)

20. sedge

sedge Funster

Our son-in-law WAS on his mobile phone talking as they drew towards the exit on a busy French supermarket carpark a couple of years ago. A gendarme stopped them and was waving and pointing at something, so he put the phone down on the dash, raised both hands and waved back at the policeman, who first looked as if he was about to explode - and then laughed and waved them on.

Yes - our daughter was driving on that occasion!

• Like Like x 3