sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Your departure will be a couple of days in front of us ! What is your route down, if you don.t mind me asking.
Sure, as we live in Cornwall we are doing Plymouth Santander, then down to Barca, then over to Civitavecchia then across to Ancona and ferry down to Patras. We return via Igy-whatsit to Venice at the end of June and up to the factory in DE for warranty stuff. Then home via Roscoff in July. Maybe are paths will cross? We have no plan in Greece yet, just see as much as we can.
Michael

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Odd price from Viamare? They did quote me €728.40 but that was a return with motorhome from Ancona -Igoumenitsa. Patras - Ancona.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Ok hold on to your hats everyone here it is....

Ancona - Patras 11th June camping on board 1 x motorhome 2 x passengers.
Viamare quote €728.40
Anek direct €271.40
Cost of open return ticket purched direct with Anek 1x motorhome 2 x passengers €194.20

I have not put the actual booking confirmation sent by Anek on the post as it includes passport numbers etc

You also have to factor in that the ferry from Bari - Igoumenitsa takes approx 9hrs where as the Ancona - Patras costs more as it takes 24hrs

Pete
That Viamare quote is almost the same as my Ancona-Patras & return Igy to Venice,!! All for only €885 with a Junior Suite! she must not like you, what did you say to her.:rolleyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
Odd price from Viamare? They did quote me €728.40 but that was a return with motorhome from Ancona -Igoumenitsa. Patras - Ancona.

Apologies on my part, I should have made it clearer, that price included the open return ticket! They didn't break down the cost each way.

Pete

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Crossing to Dubrovnik and driving down to Greece is doable but not sure of details, Boarder crossings , Insurance etc., I would have thought it more practicable and cost effective to just get a ferry across to Greece.
Just looked at Bari to Durres in Albania. 260 euros one way. Been looking at the Wildering Camper Blog where they go from Greece to Albania, Montenegro and Croatia. They cover the border crossings and don't appear to have too many problems. As said just thinking about it now but the main issue will be the insurance.

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Sure, as we live in Cornwall we are doing Plymouth Santander, then down to Barca, then over to Civitavecchia then across to Ancona and ferry down to Patras. We return via Igy-whatsit to Venice at the end of June and up to the factory in DE for warranty stuff. Then home via Roscoff in July. Maybe are paths will cross? We have no plan in Greece yet, just see as much as we can.
Michael
OK Thanks for that. We are taking a different route to Greece and our plan is to follow the coast south then visit Delphi and double back to continue exploring beaches in the Peloponnese. We plan to hook up with Busman Dave and Maggie mid June and cross over to Crete for a few weeks. We will depart Greece end of July and head up to the Brena pass, spending a few days on the top of Lake Garda then push on into Germany spending a few weeks around the romantic road/Valley region before heading home. No doubt we will chat again nearer the time and we might cross paths in Greece. If they do I will make sure we come and say hello.

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
No worries! You did amazingly well to get an open return with Anek for €194.20 . What route is that ?

Patras - Ancona. Anek say that by booking an open return, it doesn't secure either place or availability so it is very possible that one can't get the sailing day required, since the camping on board offer is provided in limited availability.
The return leg (Greece - Italy) is always that much cheaper for both cars/motorhomes and deck passengers

Pete

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Patras - Ancona. Anek say that by booking an open return, it doesn't secure either place or availability so it is very possible that one can't get the sailing day required, since the camping on board offer is provided in limited availability.
The return leg (Greece - Italy) is always that much cheaper for both cars/motorhomes and deck passengers

Pete
Still only 100 each way. I'm going to Sicily in September I'll run my plan past you before I book.

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007

Pete
Thanks again. Is that also Ancona - Patras on the first leg ? I assume you have to give a date for your first crossing in order to get the open return booking ? I was told by the Viamare people in London to forget about trying to get an open return with camping on board as there would be no availability and I would have to pay for another crossing, including paying for a cabin. The only way I could get the camping on board for both crossing was to change my route from Ancona to Igoumenitsa to Bari to Igoumenitsa and to provide a return date so the camping on board was could be booked in advance. My return date is 30 July from Patras to Bari and the total cost for both confirmed crossings was under €450. I note this was very similar to the prices made y some Funsters making the same crossings this year, so very happy with that. Amazed you managed to get a return crossing for €194.20.

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
Thanks again. Is that also Ancona - Patras on the first leg ? I assume you have to give a date for your first crossing in order to get the open return booking ? I was told by the Viamare people in London to forget about trying to get an open return with camping on board as there would be no availability and I would have to pay for another crossing, including paying for a cabin. The only way I could get the camping on board for both crossing was to change my route from Ancona to Igoumenitsa to Bari to Igoumenitsa and to provide a return date so the camping on board was could be booked in advance. My return date is 30 July from Patras to Bari and the total cost for both confirmed crossings was under €450. I note this was very similar to the prices made y some Funsters making the same crossings this year, so very happy with that. Amazed you managed to get a return crossing for €194.20.

No, that is the price for the open RETURN ticket (Patras - Ancona), the price I paid for the OUTWARD journey of Ancona - Patras is €271.40 Making a total price of €465.60 as per my post #30.

Pete

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
No, that is the price for the open RETURN ticket (Patras - Ancona), the price I paid for the OUTWARD journey of Ancona - Patras is €271.40 Making a total price of €465.60 as per my post #30.

Pete
Ah Ha! Now it makes sense. Not wanting to spread any gloom and doom on your return journey but this is what I was told.

Hello again, Mr Tew!

You had that conversation with me. J

I hope we will be able to help with everything that you need regarding your ferry crossings.

We do not recommend an open return ticket with the offer Camping On Board as this is a limited offer and space goes very fast.

That means that if there is no space available for Camping On Board on your chosen date, you will not travel, travel at a later date or you will have to change your tickets – buy a cabin and have your vehicle booked in the closed garage (again, subject to availability).

You may be OK if you can wait a few days after turning up at the port if no camping on board available. Either way, I have my fingers crossed for you.

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
Ah Ha! Now it makes sense. Not wanting to spread any gloom and doom on your return journey but this is what I was told.

Hello again, Mr Tew!

You had that conversation with me. J

I hope we will be able to help with everything that you need regarding your ferry crossings.

We do not recommend an open return ticket with the offer Camping On Board as this is a limited offer and space goes very fast.

That means that if there is no space available for Camping On Board on your chosen date, you will not travel, travel at a later date or you will have to change your tickets – buy a cabin and have your vehicle booked in the closed garage (again, subject to availability).

You may be OK if you can wait a few days after turning up at the port if no camping on board available. Either way, I have my fingers crossed for you.
So all that glitters is not gold!

This was already known about, just as I said earlier in post #38

Pete

Yorkshire Puds

Free Member
Aug 3, 2019
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
2020 Chausson 711
Exp
Since 2002
Well that's us well and truly committed as I have now purchased our Ferry tickets . Dover - Dunkerque return and Italy - Greece return. Just need to get return ticket to Crete when the timetable becomes available. Looking forward to meeting up with Busman and perhaps the other odd Funster.

Proper Jealous. This is our goal eventually.

Please can you keep a diary or create a blog to follow with up to date costs, routes, stops and tips along the way?

Enjoy and please keep us updated.

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Proper Jealous. This is our goal eventually.

Please can you keep a diary or create a blog to follow with up to date costs, routes, stops and tips along the way?

Enjoy and please keep us updated.
Err No! I will put on posts and pictures on an a ' as and when I feel like it basis' and you may get all the information your seeking. There will be other Funsters who will be vlogging/blogging I'm sure and if you look at this years trips you will get some really good stuff from the guys who have already been and U Tube has shed loads of wild camping/campsites/beaches/ families/dogs.........it goes on and on. Love your avatar. Yorkshire Puds is a classic. Nice one.

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Lucky people this is on our to do list one day. Please Please post your journeys so I can nick your ideas and routes.

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
Just caught up with this thread ?
Looking forward to meeting up with Phil & Mena (ok just Mena) in Greece. So far got 2 quotes mid June Ancona/Patras €420 & Bari/Patras €255 both o/w and camping on board, waiting on Anek price. Then Crete July/August/mid September ??????

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Just caught up with this thread ?
Looking forward to meeting up with Phil & Mena (ok just Mena) in Greece. So far got 2 quotes mid June Ancona/Patras €420 & Bari/Patras €255 both o/w and camping on board, waiting on Anek price. Then Crete July/August/mid September ??????
You need to ask Pete, Tykatem to do your booking he gets much cheaper deals!

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007

Captain Pants

Free Member
Dec 19, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg PVC
Exp
Since 1982
Just had 2 quotes from Viamare for Italy - Greece ferry next May.
Ancona - Igoumenitsa €530
Bari - Igoumenitsa €295
On the face if it Bari is a no-brainier given the savings for an additional 250miles drive into Italy (I’m not in any hurry). I’ve driven in Italy so know what to expect from the roads and drivers! My wife hates sailing so shorther the crossing the better for all concerned.
The only negative is Bari crossing gets into Igoumenitsa at 23:00, so question is does anybody have experience of this route arriving so late and can recommend campsite accepting late arrivals or good overnight spot near Igoumenitsa?

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Just had 2 quotes from Viamare for Italy - Greece ferry next May.
Ancona - Igoumenitsa €530
Bari - Igoumenitsa €295
On the face if it Bari is a no-brainier given the savings for an additional 250miles drive into Italy (I’m not in any hurry). I’ve driven in Italy so know what to expect from the roads and drivers! My wife hates sailing so shorther the crossing the better for all concerned.
The only negative is Bari crossing gets into Igoumenitsa at 23:00, so question is does anybody have experience of this route arriving so late and can recommend campsite accepting late arrivals or good overnight spot near Igoumenitsa?
I think you can just overnight in the port itself then head off first thing in the morning. If not there are suitabble spots to overnight a short drive away. Have you got P-Jay's stop overs !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back