GPS

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by kglblue, Dec 29, 2015.

1. kglblue

kglblue Funster

I've tried Tomtom, Garmin and one I shan't name but was expensive and less than useless, I want a GPS that is large enough to read comfortably with my "poorer" than it has been in the past, ...65+ eyesight. When I'm on the road and driving I want a GPS that is easy to read and accurate, a Motorhome or large truck is ideal, but they don't always do what it says on the tin. I have been in some very, very tight spots.

This has been recommended

Garmin StreetPilot 7200 if any one has experience of this or others and has views like, does it work? Help with this will be much appreciated. UK and western Europe is ideal.

• Like Like x 1
  2. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

The cheap Chinese trucknav on ebay.. search this forum for Chinese sat nav and you will find it..

But don't get me started on driving with

• Like Like x 2
  3. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

might be better of with a tablet and a co pilot or similar app that way you can go up to a 12inch screen theres bracketry around to fix any tablet in the van

4. John & Joan

John & Joan Funster

I use the Garmin Dezl 760LM. 7" screen and is easy to read with loud clear verbal instructions. Designed as a truck satnav so you can enter length, height, width and weight. You can also add multiple vehicles ie. MH + trailer with dimensions. Changes at junctions to show a picture as you see it with signage and the road you want highlighted.

It will avoid traffic and may route you a slightly longer way to avoid problem locations.

With any satnav you have the option to ignore it if you think you know better.

5. ceejayt

ceejayt Funster Life Member

I useCoPilot truck on iPad. Very good - and large!

6. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

7. ceejayt

ceejayt Funster Life Member

8. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

No, you are right but I've never found the need. Its a big screen and you can easily download free POI's.
    That's a great price.

9. GWG

GWG Funster

We use Navmii (free app) on an IPad, so 10" screen.
    Set on "Truck" as we are 4.25t. It routes around all the tight spots. Set on toll free, we just arrived in Beni today, after leaving Tunnel on Sunday, it worked a treat. Easy to see, easy to use.
    Even takes you off and on the "peage" south of Bordeaux, to miss the Toll Booths. We also have an "caravan&motorhome" Satnav. An Aguri, heavily advertised in the C&CC Mag. It's Rubbish. We just use that for the camera and don't bother with the Satnav, as going "toll free" confuses the hell out of it.

10. maxi77

maxi77 Funster

I gave up on Tom Tom after my all Europe box became a 1/3 Europe box because the stupid thing did not have the memory to keep up to date. On the motorhome and Bongo my main unit is a 7 inch truch unit bought from Ebay from Juggling Frogs, been using it for nearly 3 years and apart from occasional brain freezes has done well and I still get e-mail support from the seller. My back up is a 7 inch tablet with Sygic car version, which is not too bad.

Regrettably as far as I can see there is no satnav that does not really depend on some ability to manipulate files on a computer.

In the car I use a Garmin which is OK as long as you have a postcode or full street address, otherwise it can take a bit of fiddling. For example it will not just direct you to the town centre, unless you know its postcode or street.