GPS Speedo ? (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
I have an imported dethleffs, put up with speedo being in KPH for a couple of years, used to do the conversion in my head but if i was not concentration fully did catch me out. Did use the speedo on the tom tom but not ideal
Fitted a lockwood conversion disc which was a doddle and for around £50 made driving a little easier and legal, a no brainer really

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
My Mercedes Sprinter had a Kenwood double DIN satnav "infotainment" already fitted when I bought it. I use the speedo on this machine all the time & it's really accurate, its also really easy to read & shows the speedo in all of the other screens (CD player, radio etc.) except the DVD player which oddly works even if your driving! I'm adding a full time rear view & reversing camera kit so I'll make sure the DVD is deactivated when driving, not because I'd be daft enough to use it when driving but its against the law for the DVD to be visible whilst driving.

PS; It also has some stealth equipment that tells me how fast SWMBO has been driving lol.

Apr 21, 2009
East Cowes, PO32 6RU
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Caravan since 1970, motorhome or RV since 1999 then back to a caravan in 2017.
When I bought our '92 Fiat based Hymer 694, back in 2002, the speedo read KPH. I looked at the price of a replacement MPH card that just replaces the one in the binnacle but found a complete second hand binnacle for less money in a scrapper. Bought the binnacle and swapped the cards. What I now have found in the shed is the old binnacle with bulbs and gauges but minus the card! Have just checked Ebay for 2006 Fiat speedo and found nothing under £40 but have placed the link below.

Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I have an imported dethleffs, put up with speedo being in KPH for a couple of years, used to do the conversion in my head but if i was not concentration fully did catch me out. Did use the speedo on the tom tom but not ideal
As I said you used to be able to do it before 2011, you can't do it now.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If you use a GPS speedo, you won't have an odemeter. Surely one is needed ?
Yep....one is required to confirm current mileage at MOT.
If it doesn't work then fine...it will pass this time.
But Presenting the vehicle next year with the same mileage could be a major problem.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Yep....one is required to confirm current mileage at MOT.
If it doesn't work then fine...it will pass this time.
But Presenting the vehicle next year with the same mileage could be a major problem.
That's what I was alluding to :)

Nov 15, 2013
Rochester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
5years Motorhome. 25yr tugger
Speedo doesn't have to work for MOT providing it looks in good condition. There is no method of inspection to verify if it works or not. But your vehicle is still illegal without a working speedo in mph. Just because your vehicle passes MOT it doesn't mean it's legal. Silly but there's lots of differences between MOT and construction and use legislation.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
My sons speedy was broken on his car when it went in for a MOT, he forgot to tell them to replace it. The car passed and still has a broken speedo :eek:

My mates packed up here & he never fixed it even sold it on with out a working speedo.

Might be difficult top explain zero miles travelled next time though

:)(y)

It went for 4 ,if not 5 yearly mot's with the same mileage recorded every year.:)

Nothing to do with countries it's all to do with LHD or RHD.

I'm a bit lost with this. I cannot see how you can have a set of rules re; kph/mph speedo's that are different based on whether the vehicle is lhd or rhd when imported? I've never been asked .
No one except the insurance company ever asked me where the steering wheel was situated ?
I've even converted rh drive to lhd & vice-versa & only ever told insurance companies ?

We are even more fortunate here as even the insurance companies aren't loading premiums for rhdrive.

Deleted User
If you use a GPS speedo, you won't have an odemeter. Surely one is needed ?

Going back to the original post, there will still be a working odometer in km and the GPS will be giving the driving speed in mph so I can't see a problem

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back