Got to be a way.... But how... ??

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by old-mo, Jun 23, 2014.

1. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

You know the situation, A "Funster" is good enough to organise a Rally/Meet..... Advertises the venue... The dates.. Times etc.. :thumb:

About 60 funsters put their names down, and over the months some more are added, and a few ask to be taken off the list for what ever reason...

And when the Rally/Meet day arrives loads don`t turn up, and have not let the Rally organisers know they wont be coming... :Sad:

Which is a shame, as a lot of rally`s have a limit on numbers, and some organisers arrange entertainment and other activity`s... for the members benefit...

Rally organisation`s take a lot of time and effort for the benefit of member...

How could the practice of putting your name down and not turning up, be stamped out.. ???

On restricted numbers, even with a reserve list some dont turn up,,, and some who put their names down on the reserve list think they wont get in/on... so organise some thing else... which is fair enough as long as they let the organiser know, and are taken off the reserve list..

How can this practice be over come.. ??? :RollEyes:

Deposit... ???..... Advertise the meet, but only take names a few weeks before the meet.. ??? .... First to arrive at the gate on the day, and when numbers are at what has been set, turn people away... :Blush:

Shows are a different kettle of fish,,,,, you pay up front and turn up or lose your deposit..

But what about the ordinary rally in a field.... which are becoming more popular...

Is a deposit the way to go... ???

What say you... :Smile:

• Like Like x 14
  2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

No idea Mo..

I organised a meet in 2009, and out of about a dozen who said they were coming.. one couple turned up.. :Sad:

On another occasion, in 2007, while a Facts member, I organised one and I couldn't find space for the numbers that turned up .. :Doh:

• Like Like x 3
  3. chaser

chaser Funster

Don't do rally's so not really the one to comment but I would think if someone is seriously going , a deposit or even the full amount is not out of the question, you are not talking loads of money but if they don't turn up at least you are not out of pocket.:thumb:

• Like Like x 4
  4. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

No easy answer, even for the experienced.

A few weeks ago we went on our first MCC weekend rally. The stewards expected about 20 vans and over 40 turned up. Happily there was plenty of space.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Steve

Steve Funster Life Member

Pay up front, then if you have to pull out your problem to find a replacement.
    Steve

• Like Like x 1
  6. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Prepayment can be the only way to go, then funds donated to the rally charity if cancelled or no show, most of us now have paypal accounts, even if we have to add a few £'s for the paypal fees

And follow on the rally thread, naming the no shows, the genuine will already have posted or PMed the organisers to say they are not going so can be shown as cancelled or apologies given, the rest need a warning, followed by a possible rally ban if they do it again (am I getting a bit too severe now?)

Having not organised a meet or rally, although I have heard of the no show practice I did not realise the problem was this bad

Some people in life in general have become so rude, a sad fact of modern life, my hope is that the kind of person who just doesn't show up would not be much fun at the rally anyway

In small defence of a few, possibly me now I have stuck my head over the parapet, memory is not what it was, I might genuinely forget to go:Eeek:

On a similar vein, will they be the same people who post a question and never seem to return with thanks or any follow up

• Like Like x 8
  7. Dawn B

Dawn B Funster

Pay up front

• Like Like x 5
  8. Electraglide

Electraglide Funster

Did not realise it was that bad either, I would be happy to pay up front.

• Like Like x 3
  9. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Pay up front is one solution.. .. but how ?

when booking.. do members send a cheque, bank transfer or paypal.. ?

It's easy for Jim , he is set up to take payments.. not easy for the ordinary member..

Frankly I think you just have to accept that there will be xx% no shows..

• Like Like x 1
  10. Dawn B

Dawn B Funster

Some people are just inconsiderate. Or in the case of Joy, forgetful :Doh:

• Like Like x 2
  11. Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels Funster Life Member

I would be happy to pay up front. As we have done for some of Haggers meets.

Having just pulled out of two meets in succession due to house moving, if I had paid a deposit and lost it as no one else came forward to take my place, I would accept that and get on with it.

When we pay Haggers via PayPal, there are no fees as there is the option to tick paying a friend. I don't think Haggers pays a fee either, but if the organiser had to this should be built into the rally fee.

At the end of the day it is up to the individual organiser. If you want to go to their meet then you go under their rules.

• Like Like x 10
  12. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

You should try a rally... you dont know what you are missing..

Great fun, with like minded people... :thumb:

• Like Like x 5
  13. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Well said. :thumb:

• Like Like x 3
  14. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Do people tell..........MOJOKES all. day???:Eeek::Eeek::Wink:

• Like Like x 2
  15. runrig

runrig Funster Life Member

Hi Mo,

As a old hand at organising meets we total agree with you regarding funsters putting their names down to come and then not turning up (illness & house moves etc. excepted).

As you say these do take a lot of organising and in the case of Misterton this is a campsite which is part of the livelihood of the owners Phil & Chris who do everything they can to accommodate the funsters but still have regular campers week in and week out as well as casuals who ring them for pitches, the point being that if x number of funsters say they wish to come and spaces are allocated on the campsite and then don't turn up (without telling us) then Chris could have taken casual campers and still get revenue.

We appreciate that meets are advertised early in the calendar mainly to get an idea as to whether the meet is worth doing, but as the date gets nearer a PM would be appreciated if funsters cant come so that anyone on a reserve list gets the chance to come.

We personally do not like the idea of taking a deposit for any of the meets that we do as no one knows whats round the corner which prevents attendance.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

For the meets I put on I sell tickets with payment accepted by paypal, cheque or cash

Those who pay get a security number.

When they arrive their security number and reg number are checked agin the spread sheet.

Easy simple and easy to maintain :thumb:

I still get no shows but at least the 'x's are covered so I am not fiscally penalised for organising the meet

Any and all 'profits' from meets I organise goes to Air Ambulance, but with ticket prices kept to an absolute minimum the OTT column rarely exceeds needs by much !

Having said that, the last meet we had in Thetford raised a total of over £1400 with all the bits and bobs added up ! :thumb:

• Like Like x 9
  17. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Paying a deposit is perfectly fine with me.

• Like Like x 2
  18. runrig

runrig Funster Life Member

IMHO, taking deposits for meets is taking the first steps to making FUN go down the road of CC, C &CC and MCC where you need a Treasurer etc which is not what FUN is about, Funsters are charge only the fee negotiated with the owners of the site i.e. no profit made so no need for accounts etc. Ok so some don't have the decency to inform meet organisers that they are not coming, we can live with that but a PM would be nice especially if the meet is limited.
    As I said earlier no one know what will happen in the future between putting your name down for meet and the time the meet happens. If funsters don't turn up then that's their loss, we do everything we can to give those who do a good time and hopefully have FUN

• Like Like x 2
  19. triclops

triclops Funster Life Member

I would be happy to pay up front.
    Having attended to joint RVOC/Funsters meet at Southport I was horrified to learn that 20 Funster units did not show up - only Dally posted his reason (and having thieving scrots breaking into your van is a very sickening reason)
    I am a strong believer in naming and shaming - but realise that the unexpected does crop up and in the middle of a crisis the last thing you think of is PMing the rally.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

It is not the money, its the hanging around waiting for "no shows" and the feeling of being let down when people don't let you know. Or tell lies then turn up at another show held at the same time. No need for it whatsoever. Anything can happen at any time just let the organiser know, its not too much to ask is it? My memory is shot to pieces I don't remember what I had for breakfast today let alone yesterday but when I have a list of unticked arrivals I find that upsetting.
    I would not go down the route of taking deposits but would hope people think more about the effects on others.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
    • Like Like x 12