Got to be a way.... But how... ?? (1 Viewer)

MrMotorhome

Funster
Deceased RIP
May 19, 2009
Funster No
No-show

An 'info' post after the Rally/Meet from one of the organisers which includes a list of who attended the Rally/Meet with the 'no-shows' from the 'final list' in bold or starred as no-shows.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
IMHO, taking deposits for meets is taking the first steps to making FUN go down the road of CC, C &CC and MCC where you need a Treasurer etc which is not what FUN is about, Funsters are charge only the fee negotiated with the owners of the site i.e. no profit made so no need for accounts etc. Ok so some don't have the decency to inform meet organisers that they are not coming, we can live with that but a PM would be nice especially if the meet is limited.
As I said earlier no one know what will happen in the future between putting your name down for meet and the time the meet happens. If funsters don't turn up then that's their loss, we do everything we can to give those who do a good time and hopefully have FUN

Unsure if you have seen how I do the big meet here in Thetford, but basically............

About November time I confirm there is gonna be a meet and ask folk interested to put their names down

If there is deemed enough interest I then go forward and book the site, the music and anything else that has to be organised.
That means I shell out anywhere from £700 to £1400 up front

But even then I do not take firm bookings unless pressed.. Tickets for the event ( last bank holiday weekend in May ) do not go on sale until March..

Ticket prices are kept to an absolute minimum and for the past several years has been £10 per head with kids 15 and under free. That is for a 4 day event and includes entry to all the silly games including moped racing and various other daft things ( yes, I supply the peds too ! )

Now, just to cover my bum I need about 80 people to book ( that is people not vans.. Most vans have at least two peeps in them :winky: ) .. And as the meet has grown in popularity year on year that def has not been a problem to reach, and as mentioned earlier and witnessed by many many folk, any and all lolly raked in over and above the actual costs all goes to Air Ambulance :thumb:

BUT..
If I went by the list of folk who would LIKE to attend agin those that do attend gawd only knows what would happen ! :ROFLMAO:

So up front ticket sales are pretty important

Addendum.. The ticket prices MAY be lower this year as we are featuring our own Funster music makers who are kindly donating all their efforts to the cause.. But it does depend on how much we have to pay the Thetford Rugby Club for the ground rental

runrig

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 22, 2007
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Compass Kensington
Exp
25 years
Hi John,

My post is not a reflection on how you run your meet that is up to you and as you have to book the site up front and fund this until you can get payment from funsters then taking a deposit is probably the best way, but after saying that at Misterton we do not have to pay up front as we use the rally field and pay rally related fees i.e. £5.50 per night and not the usual £9 per night campsite rates.

No we don't do the various events that you do, ours is just a chill out affair with like minded people with simple entertainment provided if funsters wish to partake.

Our comment was regarding our own rally/meet that we will not take deposits, we do not charge for bacon butties etc. nor take out expenses, initial cost of barrels of beer excepted, anything that funsters give freely is given to Help the Heros. :getmecoat:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
You know the situation, A "Funster" is good enough to organise a Rally/Meet..... Advertises the venue... The dates.. Times etc.. :thumb:

About 60 funsters put their names down, and over the months some more are added, and a few ask to be taken off the list for what ever reason...

And when the Rally/Meet day arrives loads don`t turn up, and have not let the Rally organisers know they wont be coming... :Sad:

Which is a shame, as a lot of rally`s have a limit on numbers, and some organisers arrange entertainment and other activity`s... for the members benefit...

Rally organisation`s take a lot of time and effort for the benefit of member...

How could the practice of putting your name down and not turning up, be stamped out.. ???

What say you... :Smile:

Repeat this thread, or better still bump it every month, it might prompt a few more to officially cancel

Hopefully there are a few readers of this thread in the no show camp who now feel some of the disappointment caused

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Hi John,

My post is not a reflection on how you run your meet that is up to you and as you have to book the site up front and fund this until you can get payment from funsters then taking a deposit is probably the best way, but after saying that at Misterton we do not have to pay up front as we use the rally field and pay rally related fees i.e. £5.50 per night and not the usual £9 per night campsite rates.

No we don't do the various events that you do, ours is just a chill out affair with like minded people with simple entertainment provided if funsters wish to partake.

Our comment was regarding our own rally/meet that we will not take deposits, we do not charge for bacon butties etc. nor take out expenses, initial cost of barrels of beer excepted, anything that funsters give freely is given to Help the Heros. :getmecoat:

Now worries good sir.. basically I took an early opportunity to start promoting the Bash !! :winky: :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
It`s not only "Funster" rally`s/Meet`s..... it also happens with the caravan club... and possibly most others.. :Sad:

How many times have you rang to book a pitch, on a caravan club site (If you are a member) only to be told that there are none available.... They were booked months ago ,, and some times at the start of the season... only to find out you could have got on the site because a few of those that block booked their trips didn`t turn up... :Angry:

I wonder if they get charged or what happens...

Any Caravan Club members on here had it happen to them ????

And know what happens... Do they still have to pay or is it the norm to book your pitches for the next 12 months, and only turn up if you feel like it..

Perhaps Rally organisers should put with the advert for the rally they are going to hold...
PLEASE ONLY SUBMIT YOUR NAME IF YOU ARE REALLY GOING TO TURN UP.... In fairness to the organiser/s and those on the reserve list, should there be one.. :thumb:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
This is almost as frustrating as people who book sites in advance, and because there is no deposit-no show. Then people who want to go are denied a place, very selfish.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
This is almost as frustrating as people who book sites in advance, and because there is no deposit-no show. Then people who want to go are denied a place, very selfish.

and why the C&CC have introduced a a deposit of 25% of the total fees when you book, with a minimum charge of £25 or the total cost of the booking – whichever is lower.

but have read complaints about it on here.. :RollEyes:

.. time the CC followed suit ..

you can't please all of the people all of the time..

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
With regards to the discussion about Caravan Club cancellation policy:
"Late Cancellation Policy
The minimum notice required for any pitch cancellation is 72 hours, this will be calculated from Midday on your arrival date. Members who cancel inside this period or fail to turn up at a booked pitch on three occasions between 1 January and 31 December will be contacted and may have their membership suspended for 14 days and forward bookings cancelled."
Apparently this is their new harder line that they have taken & according to their magazine articles it is working & they have less cancellations than before. We find that now we have a motorhome & usually plan for 2-3 nights before moving to the next area & site it is easier to book last minute but when we had our caravan & wanted a week or more at one site in the school holidays we had to book in December for the next summer! It's always worth ringing the warden at the site anyway as there are often phone cancellations that haven't made it onto the website yet:thumb:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Having held meets we know how much is involved and how much time and effort it takes to come together.
We were lucky had a great landlord who was happy with what ever numbers turned up, we never had to pay up front and if funsters spent in the pub great.
But if people cant get on the list because its FULL and you cant be bothered to contact us and cancel, you not only pi$$ us off but also the fellow funster that wanted to go and could not. :cry:
And I'm afraid if you no showed with us, you would not be top of the list for the next meet your name was on, no mater how quick you got your name down. :Angry:

So next time you put your name on a list and can't make it, have the decency to say so.

The same goes for Rallies at Shows, believe me we have spent hours waiting for members that never turn up. :whatthe:

Just remember that anyone who marshals a Rally, or holds a Meet, is doing it for YOU so you can go away and have a good weekend with fellow funsters.

Rant over. :Smile: Bob and Jane.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I'd actually prefer to pay up front. It saves having to find who to pay and making sure you have the correct change. I generally pay site fees up front as well.

Not that I've been to a meet / rally yet.

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
An 'info' post after the Rally/Meet from one of the organisers which includes a list of who attended the Rally/Meet with the 'no-shows' from the 'final list' in bold or starred as no-shows.

:shout: Totally agree name and shame, but the likelihood being there would be no shame felt ................especially by those who agree to attend and then cancel and go elsewhere at the last minute. :Angry:

SPUD'N'T

Free Member
Aug 25, 2008
YORK ENGLAND
Funster No
MH
COACHBUILT (LOW PROFILE)
Exp
since 2008
Did not realise it was that bad either, I would be happy to pay up front.

.....this goes for us too, we paid for our meals "up front" at the excellent Southport rally and it worked so why not increase it to pay for the rally as well, those of us who go to the shows pay up front without any problems.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp

I agree with Andrew, although some may think actually publishing the "list" is a bit "OTT".
But why not have a resource somewhere on the forum for rally/meet organisers to be able to vet applicants if they wish to enable them to exclude persistent offenders?

I'm perfectly willing to pay up front, especially if organisers have "up-front" payments to make.

Terry

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I've not experienced it of late, in fact on show rallies this year we have had the opposite with loads more arriving than have told us they are coming! That can be just as problematic as not showing up:Doh: This experience includes rallies that don't require a deposit, so that is not always the answer.

That said, on rallies with no deposit, I do send a reminder in the last week, sometimes people book well in advance and forget, I've done it myself.

Yes it is a pain waiting for people, I always get a phone number too so I can call them should I need. It's rude to not just turn up, and I do follow up with a call or email " Are you OK, you're supposed to be on a rally in..."

However, in my experience if they are reminded and given the opportunity to tell you they are not coming then it is only a tiny minority (if any) who just don't turn up and I don't let their rudeness ruin my day. I smile and look at it as their loss not mine, :Smile:I don't want rude people at a rally anyway::bigsmile:

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Having been involved in organising events, whilst not motorhome related, which in some respects still 'attendant related', ie, space is held on the understanding that it is needed for such event to happen, I've actually lost one venue in the past due to said attendee's who 'booked' space not turn up...........and the site owner getting very :Angry:issed off.........

Not saying this would happen here, BUT having just returned from Excellent Dorset Funsters event organised by Jez and Lin, where numbers were down on those who did appear on expected attendance list Jez was keeping up to date prior to event,..........some of whom I do understand didn't have the decency to contact him to explain why they couldn't be there in person.

..........and yes, I do know life can get in the way at times,.......BUT, these days communication by whatever means is (normally)not any great problem.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Although Rita and I were at Southport, we weren't aware until now, that there had been 20 "no shows". :Angry:
Whilst at Stratford, unfortunately, we did learn of "no shows" at Jez & Lyn's Dorset Holiday Rally. :Angry: That is such a shame, especially as it was their first as organisers. :cry:
It's just not on.

As well as for the meal, we would gladly have paid deposits for the pitch at Southport, (had they been required), as we did for John's Thetford meet.

Many years ago, the CC did charge a £10.00 deposit per booking, and where for genuine reasons you had to cancel, you didn't mind losing that particular deposit. The worst thing they did, was to do away with deposits, resulting in folks making more than one booking coovering the same dates, but only turning up where the weather was best, for example. I complained to the CC management about this abuse of the system. Now with online booking, you cannot make more than one booking covering the same dates..............as the "COMPUTER SAYS NO". :roflmto: A result. :thumb:

If an indiviual is rude enough to "no show" without informing the organisers one way or another, then lets get their name on that shame list. :Angry: So come on, lets "ALL" show a bit of common courtesy and respect, for those willing to put themselves out for the benefit of others. :Smile:

Regards,

Jock (& Rita).

P.S. Sheila & Mick, we'll be arriving at Misterton, around tea time today. :winky:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
My personal view on this is that if I had the choice I would book all meets and shows. The problem is that life gets in the way such as one of the many hospital appointments or some other catastrophe, so I rarely book far in advance. The downside to this is that I miss many shows and meets as they are fully subscribed by the time I realise am able to go. What I would like to see is perhaps a percentage of places kept free until maybe 2 weeks before the due date for late bookers. This I realise would be difficult for the organisers, but am sure I am not alone in this dilemma. I think maybe this is half the problem, people do not want to miss a meet and book well in advance to secure a place, then something happens at the last minute and they can't go. I dont think its such a selfish thing as many suggest. What you must realise is that many fun members are getting on in years and do not know what is going to happen in 6 months time.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
My personal view on this is that if I had the choice I would book all meets and shows. The problem is that life gets in the way such as one of the many hospital appointments or some other catastrophe, so I rarely book far in advance. The downside to this is that I miss many shows and meets as they are fully subscribed by the time I realise am able to go. What I would like to see is perhaps a percentage of places kept free until maybe 2 weeks before the due date for late bookers. This I realise would be difficult for the organisers, but am sure I am not alone in this dilemma. I think maybe this is half the problem, people do not want to miss a meet and book well in advance to secure a place, then something happens at the last minute and they can't go. I dont think its such a selfish thing as many suggest. What you must realise is that many fun members are getting on in years and do not know what is going to happen in 6 months time.
Yes Dave, and I agree with you regarding not booking until sure about availability, only to lose out because the lists are full. :Sad: Unfortunately, we've been caught out that way too, due to either work, or medical circumstances.

I have no problem with folks putting their names on the list early on, (first come, first served), as long as they withdraw at the earliest opprtunity, when they know they can't make it. I have to put my hand up and admit, that instead of holding back as we did before until we knew for sure, now we put our names down as soon as we see the thread, having first checked our planning chart for possible attendance, then try and sort out leave from work, or rearrange appointments.
The larger show type rallys aren't such a problem, as there is usually a cut off date for numbers.

Cheers,

Jock.

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
It`s been interesting reading the answers... :thumb:

Must be very disheartening to those good enough to arrange these meet`s.. to find a percentage just don`t bother to let the organiser know they will not be attending after putting their names down.... :Sad:

If nothing else,,,, hopefully this thread will make those who append names to Rally`s/Meet`s and just don`t turn up, may have second thought`s about doing it again... :thumb:

So come on Guy`s and Gal`s, you know who you are.. play the game... :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back