Good value on truckers sat nav

Discussion in 'Motorhome Accessories' started by JohnH, Feb 4, 2015.

1. JohnH

JohnH Funster

2. oldflemo

oldflemo Funster

Can I ask respectfully what does it do that units £200 cheaper can't do?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

Certainly cheaper than some of these trucknavs but it would have to go some to beat the Chinese satnav many of us bought from @Jaws for around £30.

• Like Like x 2
  4. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

I thought they were Dash Cameras that John was selling. I know I bought one. ;)

I have to say, that the sixty something quid I paid for a Chinese Truck Sat Nav from Navibuzz on Ebay, was definitely money well spent. Although I have kept a hold of my TT720 with European Truck Maps, I prefer my Chinese one.

No way will I spend hundreds of pounds on a Sat Nav device again, whilst these reliable Chinese units are available.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...+Sat+Nav&_nkw=Navibuzz+Truck+Sat+Nav&_sacat=0

Cheers,

Jock.

• Like Like x 4
  5. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

If it was save £249.99, only £60 I might go for it :)

I agree with Jock.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bailey58

Yes you're right Jock. There were so many threads on both and I bought both and it was sooooo long ago . . . . . :blush:

• Like Like x 1
  7. JohnH

JohnH Funster

Allows the user to enter vehicle dimensions which should inhibit using narrow roads, low bridges etc. it is a reputable make with both traffic and mapping updates for life. I have a Garmin sat nav and the map updates reflect changes to the roads and come usually every quarter.
    I only quoted it because truck sat navs are usually more expensive.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

The Chinese one's do that too. Very pleased with mine

• Like Like x 2
  9. JockandRita

And more. ;)

They also come with "lifetime" software and map updates. (y)

I used to think that TomTom was good, but now, I just think that we the buying public, have been ripped off over the years. (n)

Cheers,

Jock.

• Like Like x 2
  10. trekkin

trekkin Read Only Funster

Looked at these a few times, but reluctant to commit as The choice of models/suppliers/manufacturers was vast and I was unsure of what quality /functionality these were. Do I take it from your post that this one in your link is good and reliable and a good buy

Many thanks

11. cruiser

cruiser Funster Life Member

thanks a lot. but the Chinese one are very good

12. JockandRita

The link showed several, and whilst most of them will be the same or similar, many of us reliably purchased from Navibuzz. I am not recommending any on the link, and only posted it as an example.
    Click on an item, then look at the seller.

Sorry, but I don't know how to search for the seller.

HTH,

Jock.

• Like Like x 1
  13. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Nothing wrong with the OP, help is always appreciated (y)

The problem with sat navs from the well known manufacturers is that they are often over priced (especially large vehicle ones).

14. JohnH

JohnH Funster

I don't know. I made a posting commenting on something I thought was a reduced price buy and get "shot down in flames". I can see how some of these posts get some hot under the collar.
    It is almost like saying I have seen an advert for Lagavullin Scotch Whisky and then being told by many that they can buy a single malt from Aldi for a fifth of the price. We all know you can but the one from Aldi is not Lagavullin.
    So please, if someone goes to the trouble to post a positive (however minuscule the benefit) be positive and just be thankful that you know more than you did previously.

• Like Like x 7
  15. Bailey58

Sorry John, I don't think I was too negative in my reply but whilst it is cheaper, as said, than many labelled brands many of us thought there were better options and said so. Wouldn't do if we agreed with everything so keep posting. (y)

• Like Like x 3
  16. bhs

bhs Read Only Funster

I have aquired 3 sat navs over the years, two of them from the big guns, all still work but a map update for our european trip is about to cost me much more than the purchase of a new, bigger, more featured truck version from our chinese friends, am happy to take a chance on the thing lasting but what I'm not clear on is who's maps are being used? Is the mapping any good? Anyone have experience? Mr Tom Tom has taken us up some interesting dead ends so I know none of them are perfect, Thanks

17. Zains Pops

Zains Pops Funster

My £40 Chinese sat Nav has gas just taken us around France ok. I will ever buy another TT or Garmin. These Chinko units can't be beaten.

18. RowleyBirkinQC

RowleyBirkinQC Funster

We bought the Garmin Camper 760 on a St George's day sale from Halfords for around £220 (missed out on the Aldi offer). Applied the latest software and map updates before leaving for France, which was an easy/painless exercise. Setup vehicle dimensions to be slightly larger than our AT Tracker with "fastest route" preference. However, despite this, it has still attempted to direct us down some questionable routes/roads around some small French towns/villages on our current trip. I guess the vehicle size routing is only as good as the mapping data available, not all roads will necessarily have it.

On reflection, with benefit of hindsight and the reported experiences of others here, I would now probably give a cheap Chinese truck variant a go. May even get one for comparative purposes with the Garmin.

19. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

That is true of all the large vehicle sat navs, the factor which put me off from buying one for so long. Having said that, I think "questionable" can be a matter of perception sometimes. As I posted Here, a couple of weeks ago, after doing the sort of comparison you mention, some routes might be uncomfortable for some drivers even though they are passable, as buses prove every day.

I would be very interested in your observations if you do buy a Chinese model for comparison. As I said, mine was hands-on rather than scientific so it would be interesting to see what other people find.

20. RowleyBirkinQC

RowleyBirkinQC Funster

Just read your linked thread, very interesting.

By "questionable" I recall a couple of examples which made no sense to me at the time (don't recall the specific road or towns without referring to map):-

1) being setup for fastest route, the Garmin took us off the main route and around inner town roads, to meet up with the same main route thereafter. Presumably, the main signed route was a minor bypass which perhaps the maps were unaware of? It was not unpleasant from a tourist perspective though. :)

2) Attempted to direct us down a very narrow side street off the signed route which was through a small town. No clue what happened there, we ignored Ms Garmin and carried on without needing to take any corrective action or re-routing thereafter.

3) Similar to above, Ms Garmin attempted to direct us off of a main route by referencing a right turn into a 'D' road number which did not correspond to the signed 'D' road number for said road junction. I also could not find the claimed 'D' road in the road atlas at that point. Go figure... Again, we carried on in the original direction of travel without needing corrective action or re-routing.

Just highlights that you need to use the electrickery with some common sense, act accordingly if it doesn't "feel right".