Good starter vans.

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Snowbird, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

As some of you know I am a lover of quality older motorhomes and spend a considerable amount of my time searching the net both here in the UK and Europe and America looking for these rarities.
    So, if it will be of any help to potential first time buyers who are like me on a limited budget I will put on this thread from time to time what I consider a good buy for what is a good van at the right money.
    Some of the vans you will see on this post you will never have heard of, but don't be put off by that as one of my main priorities when purchasing a MH for myself is parts availability. Body panels on motorhomes are obsolete when the vehicle is only a few years old, so this will not be taken into consideration, but mechanical parts are of course the main thing to worry about when thinking of an older MH. So any vehicle that appears on this thread will have to have good parts availability.
    This is one of my favourites and one to start you off. Its an Orion, built on the Mercedes chassis and of monocoque construction. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140913443917?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

• Like Like x 16
  2. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

beautiful van dave, hope it gets a good home...:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Only problem with ebay links is that they will not be accesible after about six months of the listing ending

Peter

4. Snowbird

Cant see a problem with that Peter as anything on ebay thats the right money will be sold in 10 days.

5. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

Mmmm not sure on that one, could do with a few more photo's:BigGrin:

I think he missed out the tyre valves:Doh:

• Like Like x 4
  6. chesterfield hooligan

chesterfield hooligan Funster

:Rofl1: go on then :Rofl1:

:Rofl1: whats the red light :Rofl1:

:Rofl1: on the roof for :Rofl1:

:Rofl1: red light district :Rofl1:

7. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

When I first saw it I thought its a bit ugly but after looking at the pictures it kind of grew on me its got character

8. buyer

buyer Funster - Life Member Life Member

I love it,old Mercs are bomb proof if this was in the uk I'd be trying to buy it.:thumb:

9. alfandM

alfandM Funster

A great find Dave, has a lot of potential for some one at not bank robbing money either, a great winter project, :thumb:

10. Snowbird

What I will try to show is vans that looked after properly will never depreciate. But with luck and if bought correctly, should show a little profit if you can ever bear to part with them.
    My problem has always been that I have bought them to use and then sell for a little profit, but then I have become so attached to them I cant bring myself to part with them.
    For this reason I had 3 on the go at the same time last year :Doh:.

• Like Like x 2
  11. yodeli

yodeli Funster Life Member

Hi Dave!!

What a good idea to have started this thread. Being on the road with JJ taught me a few things already and I must say it has changed my priorities list, still having my own ideas though , but every advice, I take it in high consideration.
    I am not a fan of brand new motorhomes, mostly because there is too much electronic stuff in them, and I feel just the same with cars.
    A friend of mine got prisoner in her own car , while the waters were raising (very heavy rain)just because the car locked all the doors and windows. I guess the water interfered with the electronic/electricity and blew up the whole thing. You can't get stuck like this in an old car:RollEyes:

Would it be possible to copy/paste the pic of the van please as I am not allowed to see it. E-bay says NO, not for you...not very fair to be a froggy sometimes:RollEyes:

Anyway will be following this thread with interest

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::Smile:

12. Snowbird

This one is a little different as its a self build. I know that large American RVs are out of fashion at the moment, but this one is an absolute Duzy. Just look at the workmanship both inside and out on this bus. If you had to pay someone by the hour to rebuild something like this it would cost a ransom. Its for sale under very sad circumstances and I really feel sorry for the widow who is selling it. If nothing else it just goes to show, dont let the grass grow under your wheels, time is running out faster than we think. Imagine building something like this beauty and then only having time to cover 6000 miles in it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Imma...RVs_Campers&hash=item4d0958e27b#ht_500wt_1184

13. chesterfield hooligan

chesterfield hooligan Funster

:Rofl1: there you go :Rofl1:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  14. yodeli

:thumb: Waoooo Nice one !

Thanks for the pic!!

Frankie:Smile:

15. Snowbird

Hi Frankie, Am so sorry you cannot open ebay links. I had no idea this was not allowed in France. We take so much for granted here in the UK. I thought ebay was worldwide as I scour ebay all over the world from my desk here in the UK.

16. yodeli

This is what I get.... Never mind !

If it comes from UK only it will be RHD and to be honest I do prefer to have a LHD. It should work with other countries though!
    And as long as there will be a funster to send the pic so I can see it ...then:thumb::thumb:

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::Wink:

Attached Files:

17. cbrookson

cbrookson Funster

• Like Like x 1
  18. canopus

canopus Funster Life Member

Frankie, It's a left hand drive and is presently located on the island of Majorca :Cool:

19. Andrew G M

Andrew G M Read Only Funster

Great looking van, lots of character. Shame there are no photos of the internals.

I am still hunting for a nearly new Aspire 265 as someone who is less than handy, would struggle to maintain an older van.

Would i be right in thinking that older mhs are more sturdy than newer ones which do tend to feel like a coke tin ?

Andrew

20. alfandM

alfandM Funster

there use to be a caravan built on the same lines with the little sky lights as this one, but i just can't remember the builder built again in the early times ,they collectable today