LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
As some of you know I am a lover of quality older motorhomes and spend a considerable amount of my time searching the net both here in the UK and Europe and America looking for these rarities.
So, if it will be of any help to potential first time buyers who are like me on a limited budget I will put on this thread from time to time what I consider a good buy for what is a good van at the right money.
Some of the vans you will see on this post you will never have heard of, but don't be put off by that as one of my main priorities when purchasing a MH for myself is parts availability. Body panels on motorhomes are obsolete when the vehicle is only a few years old, so this will not be taken into consideration, but mechanical parts are of course the main thing to worry about when thinking of an older MH. So any vehicle that appears on this thread will have to have good parts availability.
This is one of my favourites and one to start you off. Its an Orion, built on the Mercedes chassis and of monocoque construction. Link Removed

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Only problem with ebay links is that they will not be accesible after about six months of the listing ending

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
When I first saw it I thought its a bit ugly but after looking at the pictures it kind of grew on me its got character

Upvote 0

buyer

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 29, 2008
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
american coach
Exp
20 plus another 12years tugging/small campers
I love it,old Mercs are bomb proof if this was in the uk I'd be trying to buy it.:thumb:

Upvote 0

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
A great find Dave, has a lot of potential for some one at not bank robbing money either, a great winter project, :thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
What I will try to show is vans that looked after properly will never depreciate. But with luck and if bought correctly, should show a little profit if you can ever bear to part with them.
My problem has always been that I have bought them to use and then sell for a little profit, but then I have become so attached to them I cant bring myself to part with them.
For this reason I had 3 on the go at the same time last year :Doh:.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Hi Dave!!

What a good idea to have started this thread. Being on the road with JJ taught me a few things already and I must say it has changed my priorities list, still having my own ideas though , but every advice, I take it in high consideration.
I am not a fan of brand new motorhomes, mostly because there is too much electronic stuff in them, and I feel just the same with cars.
A friend of mine got prisoner in her own car , while the waters were raising (very heavy rain)just because the car locked all the doors and windows. I guess the water interfered with the electronic/electricity and blew up the whole thing. You can't get stuck like this in an old car:RollEyes:

Would it be possible to copy/paste the pic of the van please as I am not allowed to see it. E-bay says NO, not for you...not very fair to be a froggy sometimes:RollEyes:

Anyway will be following this thread with interest

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::Smile:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
This one is a little different as its a self build. I know that large American RVs are out of fashion at the moment, but this one is an absolute Duzy. Just look at the workmanship both inside and out on this bus. If you had to pay someone by the hour to rebuild something like this it would cost a ransom. Its for sale under very sad circumstances and I really feel sorry for the widow who is selling it. If nothing else it just goes to show, dont let the grass grow under your wheels, time is running out faster than we think. Imagine building something like this beauty and then only having time to cover 6000 miles in it.

Link Removed

Upvote 0

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
:ROFLMAO: there you go :ROFLMAO:

$(KGrHqNHJE!FEN1l02ggBRDsUIRpLw~~60_57.JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi Frankie, Am so sorry you cannot open ebay links. I had no idea this was not allowed in France. We take so much for granted here in the UK. I thought ebay was worldwide as I scour ebay all over the world from my desk here in the UK.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
This is what I get.... Never mind !

If it comes from UK only it will be RHD and to be honest I do prefer to have a LHD. It should work with other countries though!
And as long as there will be a funster to send the pic so I can see it ...then:thumb::thumb:

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::winky:

Attachments

• e-bay interdiction.jpg
    e-bay interdiction.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 34
Upvote 0

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Frankie, It's a left hand drive and is presently located on the island of Majorca :Cool:

Upvote 0

Andrew G M

Free Member
Jun 15, 2012
Abergele
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Great looking van, lots of character. Shame there are no photos of the internals.

I am still hunting for a nearly new Aspire 265 as someone who is less than handy, would struggle to maintain an older van.

Would i be right in thinking that older mhs are more sturdy than newer ones which do tend to feel like a coke tin ?

Andrew

Upvote 0

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
there use to be a caravan built on the same lines with the little sky lights as this one, but i just can't remember the builder built again in the early times ,they collectable today

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Great looking van, lots of character. Shame there are no photos of the internals.

I am still hunting for a nearly new Aspire 265 as someone who is less than handy, would struggle to maintain an older van.

Would i be right in thinking that older mhs are more sturdy than newer ones which do tend to feel like a coke tin ?

Andrew

I have a theory about older quality built motorhomes, and that is like quality cars such as Rolls Royce they were very expensive when new and only the very wealthy would be prepared to pay the price for them. They tend to be checkbook maintained and serviced correctly as money is not in the equation. This is why most Rolls Royce's built are still on the road. For the same reason the more expensive vans are still in good condition and have now lost whatever depreciation they are going to lose. Once a motorhome gets to a certain age it will level out price wise and will hold its price indefinitely if looked after. I have found that although they are generally slower and less fuel efficient than a modern van, they tend to have far less mechanical problems.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Well I have a real gem for anyone looking for a starter van today. This was one of the last Karmann campers built on the bullet proof VW 6 cylinder turbo diesel, and with just over 60000 miles from new on an engine that will cover over 200000 with ease, this one is barely run in. Its a one owner from new so will be looked after well. I have seen these Distance Wide Golds change hands for upwards of £15000 at VW shows here in the UK. So looked after properly this one will always be worth £10000 for ever. This van looks unmarked and was built to a quality by Karmann, parts will always be available for it and it has the added advantage of a huge worldwide owners club. Am even tempted to have a go at this one myself, its that good :RollEyes:. For Frankie, if the link does not work. ebay item number 130849063374

Link Removed

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cbrookson

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001
Whoops sorry mistook it was Cbrookson who sent me a link which allowed me on UK e-bay.

Can you do it again , pleaaaaase??::bigsmile:

Je vous en prie .... Last time I cheated and replaced the .co.uk by .fr. That does not work this time! This is because of a French Court Ruling not to allow people to buy cosmetics on ebay :whatthe:. Seems you can fix it by removing French as a language in your web browser!

Some background:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1288035

Cheers

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Am so sorry about this Frankie as I know you have an interest in these older motorhomes. Maybe one of the techi funsters will be able to help you out. Unfortunately I am of little use with these things. Where is JJ the technophile when you need him. Oh sorry I forgot, its before lunchtime :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Heres a nice one for the money -- a little TLC and you should get your money back for the next ten yrs ::bigsmile:
Link Removed

terry

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back