Getting on top!

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by OddSocks, Apr 13, 2014.

1. OddSocks

OddSocks Read Only Funster

Can I climb on my campers roof? Is it safe? Will I dent it or something? I want to inspect the solar panel and see if I can add a second one, (See what connectors are there) but I don't know if I am going to cause damage if I walk/crawl around on top of the van.

2. jockaneezer

jockaneezer Funster

I get up on mine to clean the roof, it‘s very sturdy even near the skylights. I tend to keep to my hands and knees and wear my crocs so I don‘t scratch anything.

3. PaulyP

PaulyP Funster

I use extended ladders with rubber lagging on it just where it leans against the MH.
    I'm sure you would be able to reach where you solar panel is without going on top.

4. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Whilst you should be OK on top (except on the Luton) I agree with Paul. I can reach more than half way across the roof of our van from each side using tall stepladders. Stepladders or a lagged ladder are normally safer.

• Like Like x 1
  5. OddSocks

Thanks peeps!

Not sure I have a ladder long enough to get to the top. Will see what I can find. I'll only traverse the roof from the luggage rack as a last resort!

6. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

the problem isnt really denting the roof, more causing leaks by disturbing joints. if you must get onto the roof, keep to the edges and well away from skylights and the raised overcab area as these are weak spots. the roof rack area though is reinforced with a thicker layer of ply under the outer skin, which is generally 0.8mm thick aluminium. so not much thicker than tin foil and flexes very easily. joints are made up of mastic in any overlapping panels, and this dries and goes brittle with age. so be extra careful on older vans

• Like Like x 1
  7. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I have a step ladder with 7 treads and top platform similar to This One. Using it I can reach more than half way over the roof from each side. It makes regular cleaning of the roof pretty easy as well as other maintenance :Smile:

8. OddSocks

That is really good advice, as my MH is 24 years old!! I think I will do everything I can to stay of he roof!!!! Thank you!

I have the largest step ladder I can fit in the largest cupboard on board! lol I will have to limit my maintenance to when I am my parents, and borrow one of dads ladders. I think that would be the most sensible option.

Thanks everyone! :)

9. martin1485

martin1485 Funster

I only actually stood on top of the roof when I fitted the solar panel. I used a couple of sturdy planks to spread the weight. Every other job, I have managed either on a set of tall step ladders or from inside the van through one of the skylights as you can reach a large percentage of the roof from inside on a smaller ladder. Much safer too.

10. Yorick

Yorick Funster

Here's a foolproof way to get on top:Smile:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy0gb16apZQ&feature=player_detailpage"]Human catapult!! - YouTube[/ame]

• Like Like x 1
  11. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

if your limited for storage space, get a telescopic ladder
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-2-6M-...9143?pt=UK_H_G_Ladders_RL&hash=item4864d29af7