OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Can I climb on my campers roof? Is it safe? Will I dent it or something? I want to inspect the solar panel and see if I can add a second one, (See what connectors are there) but I don't know if I am going to cause damage if I walk/crawl around on top of the van.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I get up on mine to clean the roof, it‘s very sturdy even near the skylights. I tend to keep to my hands and knees and wear my crocs so I don‘t scratch anything.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
I use extended ladders with rubber lagging on it just where it leans against the MH.
I'm sure you would be able to reach where you solar panel is without going on top.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I use extended ladders with rubber lagging on it just where it leans against the MH.
I'm sure you would be able to reach where you solar panel is without going on top.

Whilst you should be OK on top (except on the Luton) I agree with Paul. I can reach more than half way across the roof of our van from each side using tall stepladders. Stepladders or a lagged ladder are normally safer.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
OddSocks

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks peeps!

Not sure I have a ladder long enough to get to the top. Will see what I can find. I'll only traverse the roof from the luggage rack as a last resort!

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the problem isnt really denting the roof, more causing leaks by disturbing joints. if you must get onto the roof, keep to the edges and well away from skylights and the raised overcab area as these are weak spots. the roof rack area though is reinforced with a thicker layer of ply under the outer skin, which is generally 0.8mm thick aluminium. so not much thicker than tin foil and flexes very easily. joints are made up of mastic in any overlapping panels, and this dries and goes brittle with age. so be extra careful on older vans

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Thanks peeps!

[HI]Not sure I have a ladder long enough to get to the top.[/HI] Will see what I can find. I'll only traverse the roof from the luggage rack as a last resort!

I have a step ladder with 7 treads and top platform similar to Broken Link Removed. Using it I can reach more than half way over the roof from each side. It makes regular cleaning of the roof pretty easy as well as other maintenance :Smile:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
OddSocks

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
the problem isnt really denting the roof, more causing leaks by disturbing joints. if you must get onto the roof, keep to the edges and well away from skylights and the raised overcab area as these are weak spots. the roof rack area though is reinforced with a thicker layer of ply under the outer skin, which is generally 0.8mm thick aluminium. so not much thicker than tin foil and flexes very easily. joints are made up of mastic in any overlapping panels, and this dries and goes brittle with age. so be extra careful on older vans

That is really good advice, as my MH is 24 years old!! I think I will do everything I can to stay of he roof!!!! Thank you!

I have a step ladder with 7 treads and top platform similar to Broken Link Removed. Using it I can reach more than half way over the roof from each side. It makes regular cleaning of the roof pretty easy as well as other maintenance :Smile:

I have the largest step ladder I can fit in the largest cupboard on board! lol I will have to limit my maintenance to when I am my parents, and borrow one of dads ladders. I think that would be the most sensible option.

Thanks everyone! :)

Upvote 0
Jan 26, 2010
Conwy, North Wales
Funster No
MH
Relay self build
Exp
Since 2007
I only actually stood on top of the roof when I fitted the solar panel. I used a couple of sturdy planks to spread the weight. Every other job, I have managed either on a set of tall step ladders or from inside the van through one of the skylights as you can reach a large percentage of the roof from inside on a smaller ladder. Much safer too.

Upvote 0
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Here's a foolproof way to get on top:Smile:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy0gb16apZQ&feature=player_detailpage"]Human catapult!! - YouTube[/ame]

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
That is really good advice, as my MH is 24 years old!! I think I will do everything I can to stay of he roof!!!! Thank you!

I have the largest step ladder I can fit in the largest cupboard on board! lol I will have to limit my maintenance to when I am my parents, and borrow one of dads ladders. I think that would be the most sensible option.

Thanks everyone! :)
if your limited for storage space, get a telescopic ladder
Broken Link Removed

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back