Getting home when partner seriously indisposed

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Candapack, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Candapack

Candapack Funster

We are in Spain. I drive the van all the time. Wife does have relevant license but does not relish driving (a) a big van or (b) abroad. Or (c) alone.
    She had a minor panic attack about what might happen if something serious happened to me.
    We have travel insurance, which would get us both home if it was serious enough, but not the van. Is there a service which would do that?
    I can't see insurance helping, as said she can drive, just wouldn't want to. And we don't have relatives who could help, friends yes but it would be a big ask.
    Cheery thought, but the usual help and advice would be appreciated.

2. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

I think I am right in saying that ADAC if you were with them would bring the van home if the other driver could not/was not up to it.

Otherwise you would never be stuck as you could just post on FUN and somebody would fly out and bring it home for you as long as it was all insured, (and thoroughly enjoy the trip so don't worry about asking).

I offered to do this for a friend having long term health treatment in Switzerland, she managed OK on her own in the end, tell her not to worry.

Martin

• Like Like x 10
  3. busby

busby Funster

ADAC. When i injured my knee in Spain they pestered me to repatriate both of us and the van. Turned them down though,,much easier to recover in the sunshine. BUSBY.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I'm in a similar position and am considering dropping my wife off the insurance policy when it next needs renewing.

• Like Like x 2
  5. denisejoe

denisejoe Funster

Make sure your wife is not on your insurance,if she is she would have to drive home

Joe

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. eddievanbitz

eddievanbitz Trader - Funster

Lots of dry runs on quiet roads? To over come phobia? It is the only answer

Start off driving round car parks and move to quiet road

Or if your unable to drive, you could end up with a huge bill to get the van home if you can't drive

Equality and all that

• Like Like x 1
  7. parknride

parknride Funster

If she is certain she would not be able to drive it home take her name off the insurance. I believe, (ready to be corrected) that they will expect her to drive it otherwise. Or maybe she could keep driving a little at a time to up her confidence?
    FIL was with the co-op and MIL couldn't drive, van was transported home no problems.

Oops you are quicker than me!:)

8. reader

reader Funster

This is something we have to consider and a few years ago started to take out the Caravan Clubs Red Pennant Ins. Yes it is pricey but one of the main features for us is the chauffeur facility to get the van home.
    Touch wood to date we have not had to use it but have come across a few people who have and can vouch for the service

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Cavs

Cavs Funster

I agree with Martin. I do it if asked.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

Most insurance policies offer recovery for a price.
    As previously said, they will expect her to drive. You need to take her off the policy if she really doesn't want to else she should get practising, in small bits.

11. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Also if things are so bad that you need to be recovered to home, the MH would be bottom of my worry list

Other than that do as Martin suggests (y)

12. Viennese

Viennese Funster

Both Camping & Caravanning Club and Caravan Club run courses on driving motorhomes. If she did one and got a bit of practice in and drove regularly, it would not be a problem.

13. jonsea

jonsea Funster

Took my wife of the insurance for that reason(y)

14. Larby

Larby Funster

After pestering my wife for 4 years to drive MH she says perhaps she will. She realises if I get hurt when abroad she could drive. Now here's the woman's logic, she will give it a go once in France,:eek: I tried explaining it would be better to practise in UK where she is used to the roads, no, too busy she says, French roads are quieter.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Dawn B

Dawn B Funster

Rather her than me

16. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Nothing wrong with that, Jen decided to have a go with ours in Spain quiet motorway and nothing happening for 100 miles, after about 5 miles we hit thick fog:LOL:

So I was reinstated.

Martin

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. G T and Dottie

G T and Dottie Funster

I'm not alone I'm sure, but having recently retired and with all the driving licences you can get your hands on, many of us would be happy to spend a couple of days helping out a fellow funster.

Geoff

• Like Like x 5
  18. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

Me too.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I took swmbo off the insurance for that reason. Small increase in premium.

20. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

It happened to us!

A good few years ago we had a Rimor Sailer 645TC which was a low profile MH and over 7m long, we hadn't had it that long and hubby did the driving most of the time so I hadn't had a go in the UK, never mind abroad.

We got severe sunburn whilst canoeing down the Ardeche for 8.5 hours and within a couple of days hubby could hardly walk as his lower legs and feet had swollen and blistered - he had second degree burns - fortunately I wasn't quite so bad but still very burnt. I had to drive the MH all the way up from Millau (we'd gone there for a doctor) so it was quite a trek but I just hit the motorways as much as I could and took plenty of breaks ... the use of a walking stick to press the accelerator helped too! It was painful but it meant we got ourselves home ... first thing we did was arrange to have cruise control fitted!!!!!

Despite all this it wasn't hard to drive the MH, the hardest part was getting into/out of the aires on the way home ... but this wasn't overly difficult and if I needed help I could have easily asked others.