Getting home when partner seriously indisposed (1 Viewer)

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
We are in Spain. I drive the van all the time. Wife does have relevant license but does not relish driving (a) a big van or (b) abroad. Or (c) alone.
She had a minor panic attack about what might happen if something serious happened to me.
We have travel insurance, which would get us both home if it was serious enough, but not the van. Is there a service which would do that?
I can't see insurance helping, as said she can drive, just wouldn't want to. And we don't have relatives who could help, friends yes but it would be a big ask.
Cheery thought, but the usual help and advice would be appreciated.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I think I am right in saying that ADAC if you were with them would bring the van home if the other driver could not/was not up to it.

Otherwise you would never be stuck as you could just post on FUN and somebody would fly out and bring it home for you as long as it was all insured, (and thoroughly enjoy the trip so don't worry about asking).

I offered to do this for a friend having long term health treatment in Switzerland, she managed OK on her own in the end, tell her not to worry.

Martin

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
ADAC. When i injured my knee in Spain they pestered me to repatriate both of us and the van. Turned them down though,,much easier to recover in the sunshine. BUSBY.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Lots of dry runs on quiet roads? To over come phobia? It is the only answer

Start off driving round car parks and move to quiet road

Or if your unable to drive, you could end up with a huge bill to get the van home if you can't drive

Equality and all that

Reactions: GJH

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
If she is certain she would not be able to drive it home take her name off the insurance. I believe, (ready to be corrected) that they will expect her to drive it otherwise. Or maybe she could keep driving a little at a time to up her confidence?
FIL was with the co-op and MIL couldn't drive, van was transported home no problems.

Oops you are quicker than me!:)

reader

Free Member
Apr 27, 2011
IO83rk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
This is something we have to consider and a few years ago started to take out the Caravan Clubs Red Pennant Ins. Yes it is pricey but one of the main features for us is the chauffeur facility to get the van home.
Touch wood to date we have not had to use it but have come across a few people who have and can vouch for the service

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
Otherwise you would never be stuck as you could just post on FUN and somebody would fly out and bring it home for you as long as it was all insured, (and thoroughly enjoy the trip so don't worry about asking).
I agree with Martin. I do it if asked.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Most insurance policies offer recovery for a price.
As previously said, they will expect her to drive. You need to take her off the policy if she really doesn't want to else she should get practising, in small bits.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Also if things are so bad that you need to be recovered to home, the MH would be bottom of my worry list

Other than that do as Martin suggests (y)

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Both Camping & Caravanning Club and Caravan Club run courses on driving motorhomes. If she did one and got a bit of practice in and drove regularly, it would not be a problem.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
After pestering my wife for 4 years to drive MH she says perhaps she will. She realises if I get hurt when abroad she could drive. Now here's the woman's logic, she will give it a go once in France,:eek: I tried explaining it would be better to practise in UK where she is used to the roads, no, too busy she says, French roads are quieter.

Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
After pestering my wife for 4 years to drive MH she says perhaps she will. She realises if I get hurt when abroad she could drive. Now here's the woman's logic, she will give it a go once in France,:eek: I tried explaining it would be better to practise in UK where she is used to the roads, no, too busy she says, French roads are quieter.
Rather her than me

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Nothing wrong with that, Jen decided to have a go with ours in Spain quiet motorway and nothing happening for 100 miles, after about 5 miles we hit thick fog:LOL:

So I was reinstated.

Martin

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It happened to us!

A good few years ago we had a Rimor Sailer 645TC which was a low profile MH and over 7m long, we hadn't had it that long and hubby did the driving most of the time so I hadn't had a go in the UK, never mind abroad.

We got severe sunburn whilst canoeing down the Ardeche for 8.5 hours and within a couple of days hubby could hardly walk as his lower legs and feet had swollen and blistered - he had second degree burns - fortunately I wasn't quite so bad but still very burnt. I had to drive the MH all the way up from Millau (we'd gone there for a doctor) so it was quite a trek but I just hit the motorways as much as I could and took plenty of breaks ... the use of a walking stick to press the accelerator helped too! It was painful but it meant we got ourselves home ... first thing we did was arrange to have cruise control fitted!!!!!

Despite all this it wasn't hard to drive the MH, the hardest part was getting into/out of the aires on the way home ... but this wasn't overly difficult and if I needed help I could have easily asked others.

Nov 26, 2007
Exeter
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Since 2006
Take the wife off the insurance,

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
There's actually nothing wrong with that logic ... having had to suddenly drive our MH abroad for the first time it was much easier that it would have been in the UK.

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
I have taken out the Caravan Club red pennant policy for this reason. Although we both share the driving, SWMBO would not be comfortable driving home from France or Spain by herself.

We have just had an experience of how fickle life can be. We are keen hill walkers and we were halfway around a walk across the South Downs when SWMBO fractured her ankle walking on a pavement! This resulted in taxi to car and a period in A&E and 4-6 weeks in a plastic boot with no driving!

If that could happen here to one of us it could happen abroad, so we pay the higher insurance for the comfort it offers and hope for the best!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I have taken out the Caravan Club red pennant policy for this reason. Although we both share the driving, SWMBO would not be comfortable driving home from France or Spain by herself.
Does it actually state that they will send you a chauffeur even if one of you is still capable of driving?

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Rather her than me
Strange that Dawn, you drive the MH in the UK so I expected you would have no problem with France. You're hardly noted for your nervous disposition :lips:
Blimey, I've just realised that if she drives in France I am in the passenger seat facing the oncoming traffic :Eeek:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
So why are so many women scared of driving a motorhome? My Mum drove everything and anything, my Mother in Law is 80 and drives her Autotrail Cheyenne 696 and used to drive a yank, Lyn my wife drives our 33' RV even when the 27' boat trailer is on the back?

Most women on here would quite rightly be appalled if someone suggested that women should be banned from something or should be discouraged from doing something and screams of sexism and misogyny would be heard from all quarters, again I repeat quite appropriately

So why in these days of equality in all things, do so many women refuse to drive a motorhome?

Reactions: GJH

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I think a lot of the time it comes down to the fact that men still do most of the driving, especially the 'older generation' ... so a woman wouldn't be quite so familiar with a MH. I let my hubby do most of it ... after all ... why have a dog and bark yourself! :D

[plus he's crap at map reading!]

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
For the first time, I decided to sign up for ADAC..
This was prompted after last years fiasco with the trailer and then the ruddy gearbox all going phut

But if I was to become unable to drive I would def be on here shouting for help, and am 100% sure it would be forthcoming ! (y)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
So why in these days of equality in all things, do so many women refuse to drive a motorhome?

This is a gross generalisation so please don't shout at me!

I think in the past many women have been left with the tiny "run around" or "wife's car" to do shopping etc whilst the hubby had the monster company car that she may not even have been insured to drive.

I had a minibus as my everyday transport (long story short was that with 4 kids and a friend each plus kayaks a normal run around wouldn't work for us and I saw the minibus cheap on a garage forecourt....... ) I learnt more driving that minibus (later converted to a camper) than I had in th previous 15 years of driving. When it went to to scrappy we got an MH the size of a single decker bus, left hooker, and I loved driving that as well. I'm not so sure I would have been so confident driving the big MH if I had only driven something the size of a Fiesta prior to that though. I am also on the large size (height and girth) which helps.

I think a lot of the time it comes down to the fact that men still do most of the driving, especially the 'older generation' ... so a woman wouldn't be quite so familiar with a MH. I let my hubby do most of it ... after all ... why have a dog and bark yourself! :D

[plus he's crap at map reading!]

I'm sure you are correct @Minxy Girl . In the Duck House he does most of the driving and I am navigator, but I can and do drive and enjoy it. I tend to do the fiddly bits, narrow roads, parking, getting her on the ramps and putting onto ferries.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back