generators

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by johnbwhitehead, Jul 9, 2009.

1. johnbwhitehead

johnbwhitehead Read Only Funster

im looking to buy a small generator.
    anyone used one.
    theres a clarke g950 900w £252.98
    honda eu20i £1102.85

2. johnsandywhite

johnsandywhite Read Only Funster

:Cool: Yes, used one for several years as an extra to our onboard genny on the RV. The Clarke one is just a re-badged overpriced one that you can buy for around £60-£100. The Honda will always be expensive, but is usually highly recommended. It depends on how much you want to spend and how much you intend to use it? I have always had Solar power. But a genny comes in handy for WINTER and dark dismal days. Happy generating. :thumb:

3. Planetgen

Planetgen Read Only Funster

why is the clarke one over priced? have you looked at the fact one could be 2-stroke? Also the clarke has an inverter.
    The Planet 1 uses the same case but is totally different internally. This has a pure sine wave inverter and a 2 year warranty for £325. that to me seems like a good buy.

4. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

Please don't! running a generator withing hearing of most other M/H ers will never make you a friend but might make you an enemy

Nothing personal, just an observation.

Doug...

5. Planetgen

Why would it make someone unpopular? Having a Generator running for a couple of hours behind the van @ 7 metres will make the gennie quiet.
    Obviously dont use the Generator at 10pm! As long as people are sensible with it then no problem.
    What about kids running round screaming, dogs howling? Late night parties etc?
    Again common sense required, get a quiet one like a Honda or a Planet too and they really are not that bad.
    However a 2 stroke or an open frame will obviously be loud.
    Owning a Generator company I am privy to all sorts of people saying - "Oh thats not loud!" "I thought they were louder than that" Also if the Generator is too loud or screaming on load, then the Generator is probably the wrong Generator. As a for instance a 3 kva should really be run continuously at 2kva to avoid putting too much strain on things. Again people tend to go for the cheapest bare minimum which is a problem.
    Simon

6. Shubberdog

Shubberdog Deleted User

Apart from the noise, which is a problem to others on a campsite, there are also the fumes and pollution emitted which we all have to breath in. Don’t do it get a large solar panel and after the initial cost it’s free :thumb::thumb:

7. stagman

stagman Deleted User

More like 700 mts at 7mts any gennie is a nuisance .Dogs howling Kids screaming and late night parties along with noisy generators is all down to inconsiderate neighbours. Yes keep a small 4 stroke as back up to recharge your batteries 1kw is ample but priority would be for a solar panel :thumb:

8. Jim

Jim Ringleader

My advice if I was watching the pennies and needed more power.

1. An extra battery maybe all you need, this is the cheapest option, before you buy anything else get as many batteries on board as space and weight allow. If you still need more.. see '2'
    2. A small Genny to recharge all your batteries
    3. A solar panel to silently recharge your batteries

If money is no object, first choice is still the best, extra batteries, the only change is that a genny becomes the least attractive option. If you can afford a roof full of solar panels you will probably not need to carry a heavy smelly genny and the fuel for it. But if you can afford a roof full of panels you probably have a large motorhome and a butler in a car following who could carry the genny in the boot.

Options if you are loaded.

1. Lots of extra batteries, say 4 x 110 ah
    2. A solar panel to silently recharge all your batteries
    3. A small genny for instant power or when the sun don't shine

My Genny advice: Unless you are at a show when everyone seems to use their genny -Do not use a genny at night at all, do not use it to watch evening TV. Charge your batteries by day. (Place the genny as far away from others as possible). Use an inverter at night. This way you get to stay friends with most people. I say most people, because some people would moan if your genny made no more noise than a mosquito.:RollEyes:

9. johnsandywhite

:RollEyes: So let me see now?

I need a little bit of extra power to watch a little TV, charge Laptops, phones et al.

DO I choose a PURE SINE WAVE 900W genny at £325 or do I choose a £50/60 genny of between 600W and 900W? MMMMmmmmm. Difficult question. Do I REALLY need a PURE SINE WAVE genny? What could I use if for? MMmmmm. Run the fridge? Or perhaps some really awkward appliance like a Microwave that needs an instant boost? You pays your money and takes your choice. The £275 difference will buy an AWFUL LOT of fuel. IMH&HO. :thumb:

10. Planetgen

it would be great until, something blows in your van. Pure sinewaves effectively stop surges and spikes. Again you spend 10,000's on your camper then you go cheap on a Generator - does not make sense.
    Yes 275 is a lot of money, however a £70 2-stroke gennie that blows up is also a problem whn it takes your van out with it.
    A lot of the generators cant be heard at 7 metres now?

11. Planetgen

shudderdog - fumes? wht fumes? I think your experiences are with 2 stroke. Also, a solar panel is usefull yes, however it will never produce even close to the output of even the cheapest generator.
    Why would it be a problem to run for a couple of hours during the day.
    Oh and I know about rules and regs on campsites, even etiquette very well.

12. olley

olley Funster

Why would you run a genny on a campsite? Only reason I can think of is if you have booked late, or are tight, and booked a non-electric pitch.

At the shows every other person seems to have one, so I think they are hardly likely to upset the majority, more than likely its the minority trying to foster their views on others.

Olley

13. Planetgen

Hi Olley, I agree. :thumb: Also without going too much into it, a cheap £70 2 stroke generator, wont power your tv laptop or even your van. The reason being, it has an avr instead of an inverter and it means things will go pop. When tv's and laptops start doing this then it comes an expensive game, so dont be tight and but a better one in the first place! :Wink:
    We gat asked to part ex 2 strokes all the time, our answer is always no. They are pointless so we wont deal with them. There may be 1 or two on the used section on our site.
    If they are used correctly then no one should have a problem with a Generator.

14. johnsandywhite

:Doh: I must have been doing something wrong then? When my Alternator packed in on my 1988 Coachmen Classic, my 5KW generator packed in and my Solar power (2x120W + 1 x 50W and 4 x 110AH batteries) was not giving me sufficient power during dark winter days. I used my cheapo 900W generator to RUN:-

Fridge/Freezer/Satellite and TV and some charging to the batteries via the Truecharge 20/40 charger. Why did it only intermittently start hunting/struggling when the Fridge kicked in? I MUST have been VERY LUCKY then not do some real serious damage. I then used it for 4 years of Wildcamping instead of my repaired onboard genny. :thumb:

BTW. I must just mention that I always run my Laptops via an 800W Inverter (NOT Pure Sine Wave). The only time I had a problem was with an OLD Toshiba that would NOT operate via said Inverter.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
  15. Douglas

Its obvious that you are going to be biased in favore of generators and thats ok. But I have to tell you that in my experiance there are more people that dislike them than like them, I do a lot of wild camping so most of the people I meet go down the solar panel path.

Do you sell solar panels? if you don't maybe you should.

Doug

16. sinbad1

sinbad1 Deleted User

I agree ran a cheapo for 12yrs no probs at all, i would ony run the genny if out in the wild though, they can be annoying to others,and to be honest if you have a good set of batteries /solar pannels and inverters you can manage without a genny.

Regards

17. Douglas

Not True, with my setup using solar panels, In the last 5 years I have never used a generator and I have never pluged into the mains, solar panels are my only sorce of power.

Doug...

18. johnsandywhite

:thumb: I have had Solar power in varying amounts for the last 9 years. But being a heavy user of power I sometimes have to resort to a genny.
    BTW. I asked before? You have a Swift 630G? I am in the process of buying a 2004 Swift Suntor 630G to replace my 1989 Swift Kontiki as a commuter. Have you had any problems? Sorry to go off topic, but I am actually going to be fitting an 80W Solar panel to the 630G. So I suppose it is still on the subject? :thumb:

19. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

I use my 2KW kipor genny at shows which I seem to be at most recently but you cant beat a hook up (sheer bliss:Smile:)

I will one day soon get a solar panel though.

20. jezport

jezport Funster

I was next to their stand at Newark and their generators sound nice and quiet. They didn't even disturb my parrot:Smile: