generators (1 Viewer)

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Dont worry about being harsh on the manufacturer, the Planets are built for us to our specs. We own the machines!
I never thought they were expensive especially with the backup in place.
I am not adversed to selling "greener" items. We sell all types of solar panels and wind turbines.
In fact we have just got a contract to supply 16,000 Vertical Axis Wind Turbines, these are completely green. However everything has a purpose.
Not everyone can afford loads of panels and leisure batteries, nor do some people have the space to store them.
Yes of course ours produce fumes, I am not disputing that. They are however a lot more efficient than other types of Generators. Most of the suitcase Gennies are.
They do have other used too, with the 12v they are great for flat batteries on vans!
Also they will work whatever the weather.
I would never knock solar panels as they work very well in good weather as a trickle charger, the same with wind turbines.

If you could get the same Watts per £ spent on solar compared to a genny they would be obselete. I find it hard to believe that a complicated inverter generator can be built and sold for so much less than a decent set of solar panels.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I find it hard to believe that a complicated inverter generator can be built and sold for so much less than a decent set of solar panels.

A very good point. Gennies are old technology that can be piggybacked onto a vast motor manufacturing capacity.

Silicon is new technology and I suspect a big part of the cost is "because they can". It's going to fall soon as the Chinese get their teeth into to the ever growing green market. Getting the saving passed on over here is another matter.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
solar has been around along time .just not pushed hard in uk. iv got panels from maroc euro made half the price of uk . use a10 quid regulater also from n made in maroc. works fine . i only use my gennie for welding emergencies , nice big noisey diesel. what i dont under stand is people drive miles to a show for weekend as soon as arrive on goes genny, till night ,next morning on it goes n stays on all day. seems lots need to do it. i turn up fridge on inverter never need gennie , charge batteries on way .i have a 24 to 12 volt charge system sold by durite. 20amp charge n float facility. 3 x 80 wt on roof. 2.5 kw inverter house compressor fridge.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Planetgen

Free Member
Apr 29, 2009
Taunton
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
I agree, in time solar panels will become cheaper, in the grand scheme of things it is still a new technology, it also does not have the demand of generators.
We supply lots of big generators to building sites, outdoor events etc, and this moment in time, solar is not beefy enough to support that sort of output.

ayjaytee

Free Member
Jan 12, 2009
Leics
Funster No
MH
LP 2berth
Exp
Rated output of generator

Hello Simon
I've bought a generator whivh has a maximum output of 850kv and a continuous
output of 750kv.Would I be able to run my 800 watt microwave for short periods
on it?
Alan

Ant&Debs

Free Member
Jun 24, 2009
Alvorge,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Rockwood Fiver
Exp
2 years long time ago
Cor! this tread started a bit of a row! We have just Ordered a Kipor IG6000 for our 5ver and also solar panels.

I would like to think as a sensible person i would only use it when needed and try not to upset others.

However i would still have to put up with other peoples screaming kids! (Cos they never play around their own Vans). and other peoples Dogs Cr*ping/Loud Music/etc.etc.

It seems that anyone even thinking about buying a generator is about as popular as a dose of the clap, and made to feel that they alone are responsible for distroying the planet and giving people earache.

Where as if you buy an expensive RV its taken as read that it will have a Genny and be used!

Its A Funny World!:Doh:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Not True, with my setup using solar panels, In the last 5 years I have never used a generator and I have never pluged into the mains, solar panels are my only sorce of power.

Doug...
Me to, We have 3x75watt solars, charging 3x 110amp Hawkins UPS batteries and only time we use the genny is for the microwave.We can sit indefinatly without hookup or genny,and watch TV. IMO if you are going to spend £1000 on a GOOD genny,you may as well put the cash towards GOOD batteries and some form of solar panels,then at a later date when you have saved some more money with not buying fuel for your noisy genny you can buy another solar panel. After another year buy a third solar,then you can save a fortune by not having hookups on your campsite.::bigsmile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I've bought a generator whivh has a maximum output of 850kv and a continuous
output of 750kv.Would I be able to run my 800 watt microwave for short periods
on it?
Alan

Hi Alan ..

Is that cooking power or total power of the micro-wave ?

If the former, no .. 800w cooking power will be around 1200w total power .. if unsure, check the data label.

If 800w is the total power then probably be ok.. as you say, for short periods.

Jim

PS

The genny is rated in watts or VA .. not kv

geoff587

Free Member
Feb 13, 2009
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
How come no one can ask for advice about a generator on any Motor home Forum without being told he wants solar panels and/or a bank of batteries and generators are the Devils Spawn.
The question is which Generator do I need, probably asked because he wants a generator. :Eeek:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
How come no one can ask for advice about a generator on any Motor home Forum without being told he wants solar panels and/or a bank of batteries and generators are the Devils Spawn.
The question is which Generator do I need, probably asked because he wants a generator. :Eeek:

very good point Geoff,

i have both solar and genny and i use both.

my inverter isnt big enough to run the microwave and as i have a 2.6kva genny (bought primarily to run the aircon) i cant see the point in buying a larger inverter for one mains appliance.

you can never have too many power sources.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

This is quite typical ..

I saw another post on a forum, guy looking for better horns and got a lecture about the legal aspects of using them .. and how only bad drivers needed them .. guess what forum .. :RollEyes:

I always try to answer the OP's question without giving a lecture..

S

Shubberdog

Deleted User
C

It seems that anyone even thinking about buying a generator is about as popular as a dose of the clap, and made to feel that they alone are responsible for distroying the planet and giving people earache.

Its A Funny World!:Doh:

Don’t forget Asthma and Cancer from the fumes :whatthe:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I have a Kipor but am frightened to use it as Jim says it deafens people. Love solar so look what I have built up to over the years... there is just about room for one more but I will have to sack the butler to save the money for it...

Last edited:

Ant&Debs

Free Member
Jun 24, 2009
Alvorge,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Rockwood Fiver
Exp
2 years long time ago
Don’t forget Asthma and Cancer from the fumes :whatthe:

So I take that your vw does not contribute to the above. I thought that this site was called the fun site. We all have opinions regarding allsorts, however i feel that you seem to have some huge chip on your shoulder!

The Guy who started this post had what, was to him a serious question to ask before spending his hard earned cash. As I myself and debbie did before spending 40 odd grand on a 5ver and Pickup.

When I asked a question ref 5vers I was given help and advice from 5ver owners and RV owners alike.

We were not made to feel that we had just molested next doors hamster!

Please feel free to PM with your travel plans for rest of the year as we also have 2 quad bikes and 2 canoes and i would not like to spoil your holiday with the noise of our generator/quad bikes/and my coughing (as I smoke) or is that outlawed as well!!!!!:Smile:

Perhaps there should be a forum for the We Love Generators and all things bad for you.

Ant & Debs

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I have a Kipor but am frightened to use it as Jim says it deafens people. Love solar so look what I have built up to over the years... there is just about room for one more but I will have to sack the butler to save the money for it...
No competition between Kipor and Honda noise levels with that genny. Also the most frugal on fuel. Good setup.:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
only ever had one comment to my face about my (running) Kipor and that was from a flat-dweller at the edge of the camping area at stratford last year....at 4o'clock in the afternoon.

sure iv seen 'em walk by, at the show camp area's, and look at the running gennies with disgust then quitely tut tut! and mumble to themselves and their companions. Tough !!!

i run mine for one reason.......i need to.
i dont run it just to charge the batteries, i put the water heater on as well to get me money's worth from the fuel used.
yes, i do have solar but occasionally i need more than 5 or 6 solar amps going in to the battery and as my charger is a 25amp 3 stage its quicker and more productive to use the genny to top up.

im under no illusion that the folks who dont like them are required to stay put....they are free to move on........or speak to me directly.:winky:

but im going off thread here so.......

Ant&Debs

Free Member
Jun 24, 2009
Alvorge,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Rockwood Fiver
Exp
2 years long time ago
Just Found this one online! 550 KVA 3 Phase. Might have to cancel the Kipor Order:ROFLMAO:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
No what you want is a nice little Lister diesel genny, lovely and quiet. :ROFLMAO: Now that would upset the neighbours.

Olley

Ant&Debs

Free Member
Jun 24, 2009
Alvorge,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Rockwood Fiver
Exp
2 years long time ago
Our Generator for our Wildcat just arrived Kipor ig6000, that should pretty much run everything on it, as its a big un! £800.00:thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi ant n debs .. google lynton trailers look on their big artic theres a real gennie sat on the back of their tow unit. cheers alan.

Ant&Debs

Free Member
Jun 24, 2009
Alvorge,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Rockwood Fiver
Exp
2 years long time ago
hi ant n debs .. google lynton trailers look on their big artic theres a real gennie sat on the back of their tow unit. cheers alan.

Hi Alan

:ROFLMAO:Right that would really upset people! think we'll stick with the Kipor. at least ours has got wheels.

Cheers Ant & debs

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, did you have a look around the inside ?bit flash i thought. lots of 5ers though. thought you wanted a large one?

Nov 15, 2007
Nottinghamshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
20+ but 30+ as a tugger
Genny's you either love em or hate em.

Here is something that I've done that may help the genny following.

Most manufacturers fit 18A chargers as standard and if you fit extra batteries (good idea as a first step) it will take longer to recharge, maybe even hours and hours of genny running time. We fitted an additional charger that will wack in another 80A and seriously reduce the time you need to run the genny. You don't even need to wire it in so to speak you can run it direct from the genny and use the crockodile clips straight onto the battery(s)

We find that this worked very well and reduced the charging time quite significantly (of course we have solar now)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back