generators

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Mart grump, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Mart grump

Mart grump Funster

can anyone tell me if a generator with a power output of 1.6 kw will run a large motorhome

2. Speve

Speve Funster

Depends what you want to use?lots of people prefer to go solar and fit as many panels and batteries as they can.

3. Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill Funster

Whatever you get, make sure it's loud(y)

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Mi58ck

Mi58ck Read Only Funster

I've got a Honda 2kw and it supplied my motorhome and daughters caravan for week early June no problem,about 90 mins per day.Cost me £7 in petrol

5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

You will most likely need to turn off some appliances to run others........kettle and water boiler (on mains) won't run together.
    Only real way to know is add all the appliance watts you are likely to use together and see the total.
    All 230v appliances should have a data label with amps or input watts.

6. Steve

Steve Funster Life Member

not even enough for a house kettle. but if its only for a few lights and charging the batteries tv you should be ok.

7. daveandsan

daveandsan Funster

We havn't had a good generator thread for ages.:)

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Mi58ck

Mi58ck Read Only Funster

We did use a bit of common sense and boiled our water on the gas

9. PhilG

PhilG Funster

For anything other than kettles and water heater, 1KVA is fine. You dont need to boil water on electric, thats what your gas is for .

As was said, a couple of hours in the day will keep your batteries topped up, i have a 2Kva Honda that will run an A class and a decent size caravan, plus 2 double tube lights and two fridges without even breaking a sweat .

A bigger one doing nowt will cost more to run that a small one running hard , but its bigger and heavier.

My freind has a dinky little E start job that he has built in to his garage , so he can ping it on from inside if he needs to, just has to be well ventilated and the pipe extended

10. Mattyjwr

Mattyjwr Funster Life Member

I've heard this reasoning several times before. If you didn't top your batteries up with a genny every day, how long would you last? We get at least 3 days on a 90AmH battery.

11. wigster

wigster Funster

Ive got a solar panel that normally does the job . At this years Newbury rally where the weather , well lets say it weren't sunny , after 3 days the batteries were getting low .
    My old van came with an onboard 2 kw genny . Having read allot of genny threads before on here i was loath to start it up for fear of being an outcast (n).
    Stepped outside for a ciggie , oh no outcast again :) , 3 vans near us were running them. On it went did its job no problems.

I need more solar but, if the suns not out, its nice to know if push comes to shove etc that the option is there. (y)

12. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Our MH has a 3 litre diesel generator under the bonnet, tops my batteries up when / if needed (y)

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  13. wigster

wigster Funster

Also true mines got a 2.7 litre Diesel , yours is bigger than mine :)

14. wigster

wigster Funster

I suppose the annoyance with gennys is when people just use them to power there 230 volt gubbins without any consideration for others , i can go along with that .

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  15. wigster

wigster Funster

So to answer the OP , a 1.6 kw will provide 230 volt and charge batteries but wont run everything as if you were in a house on mains . As @pappajohn says (y)

16. PeteH

PeteH Funster

It's all about what you NEED to operate. I have a first generation Honda, which puts out .7Kw. It is used primarily to charge a mobility scooter, off grid, (and run the hair dryer!,) it also puts a charge back into the batteries. But don't expect to operate as if on shore power?.. Unless you have 4kw or more as in many RV's

Better to get as much battery capacity as the payload will allow and use dedicated 12v stuff. Or inverter. And a couple of decent solar panels. With gas for cooking and heating and frig.

Pete

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  17. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

And when they point their exhaust at their neighbour :)
    I noticed what I thought a very sensible requirement on one group's rally rules recently - generators must be sited on the user's habitation side :)

• Like Like x 2
  18. Allanm

Allanm Funster

We have a 3kva generator built in that will run everything in the van, including the air con unit, rated at 2kw.
    A lot of electrical items will require more than their stated power consumption when they switch on, for example, in our last van, we had an 800 watt microwave oven but our 1kva generator would almost cut out when we tried to microwave anything, so we didn't bother. It also wouldn't run the Hab heating system.
    I would go for a generator that has at least a third more power than the most power hungry item you are going to use, but use it considerately.

19. PhilG

PhilG Funster

I have no idea, because i have never done it , but having no power isnt something i can live with, having everything go flat in the evening or overnight isn't an option for us.

20. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

I fill timed in a caravan for a while and on a site with no mains. There were 3 of us on the site and we all had big 2kva at least 4 stroke generators. We used long cable runs and put them down the end of the field. Filling up fuel in the rain was an issue.

I used about 2 litres of fuel a day basically using electric as if I was in a house.