generators (1 Viewer)

Apr 26, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
can anyone tell me if a generator with a power output of 1.6 kw will run a large motorhome

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Depends what you want to use?lots of people prefer to go solar and fit as many panels and batteries as they can.

Mi58ck

Free Member
Aug 9, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since august 2012
I've got a Honda 2kw and it supplied my motorhome and daughters caravan for week early June no problem,about 90 mins per day.Cost me £7 in petrol

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You will most likely need to turn off some appliances to run others........kettle and water boiler (on mains) won't run together.
Only real way to know is add all the appliance watts you are likely to use together and see the total.
All 230v appliances should have a data label with amps or input watts.

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
can anyone tell me if a generator with a power output of 1.6 kw will run a large motorhome
not even enough for a house kettle. but if its only for a few lights and charging the batteries tv you should be ok.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mi58ck

Free Member
Aug 9, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since august 2012
We did use a bit of common sense and boiled our water on the gas

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
For anything other than kettles and water heater, 1KVA is fine. You dont need to boil water on electric, thats what your gas is for .

As was said, a couple of hours in the day will keep your batteries topped up, i have a 2Kva Honda that will run an A class and a decent size caravan, plus 2 double tube lights and two fridges without even breaking a sweat .

A bigger one doing nowt will cost more to run that a small one running hard , but its bigger and heavier.

My freind has a dinky little E start job that he has built in to his garage , so he can ping it on from inside if he needs to, just has to be well ventilated and the pipe extended

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
For anything other than kettles and water heater, 1KVA is fine. You dont need to boil water on electric, thats what your gas is for .

As was said, a couple of hours in the day will keep your batteries topped up, i have a 2Kva Honda that will run an A class and a decent size caravan, plus 2 double tube lights and two fridges without even breaking a sweat .

A bigger one doing nowt will cost more to run that a small one running hard , but its bigger and heavier.

My freind has a dinky little E start job that he has built in to his garage , so he can ping it on from inside if he needs to, just has to be well ventilated and the pipe extended

I've heard this reasoning several times before. If you didn't top your batteries up with a genny every day, how long would you last? We get at least 3 days on a 90AmH battery.

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
Ive got a solar panel that normally does the job . At this years Newbury rally where the weather , well lets say it weren't sunny , after 3 days the batteries were getting low .
My old van came with an onboard 2 kw genny . Having read allot of genny threads before on here i was loath to start it up for fear of being an outcast (n).
Stepped outside for a ciggie , oh no outcast again :) , 3 vans near us were running them. On it went did its job no problems.

I need more solar but, if the suns not out, its nice to know if push comes to shove etc that the option is there. (y)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Our MH has a 3 litre diesel generator under the bonnet, tops my batteries up when / if needed (y)

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
I suppose the annoyance with gennys is when people just use them to power there 230 volt gubbins without any consideration for others , i can go along with that .

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
So to answer the OP , a 1.6 kw will provide 230 volt and charge batteries but wont run everything as if you were in a house on mains . As @pappajohn says (y)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
It's all about what you NEED to operate. I have a first generation Honda, which puts out .7Kw. It is used primarily to charge a mobility scooter, off grid, (and run the hair dryer!,) it also puts a charge back into the batteries. But don't expect to operate as if on shore power?.. Unless you have 4kw or more as in many RV's

Better to get as much battery capacity as the payload will allow and use dedicated 12v stuff. Or inverter. And a couple of decent solar panels. With gas for cooking and heating and frig.

Pete

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I suppose the annoyance with gennys is when people just use them to power there 230 volt gubbins without any consideration for others , i can go along with that .
And when they point their exhaust at their neighbour :)
I noticed what I thought a very sensible requirement on one group's rally rules recently - generators must be sited on the user's habitation side :)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We have a 3kva generator built in that will run everything in the van, including the air con unit, rated at 2kw.
A lot of electrical items will require more than their stated power consumption when they switch on, for example, in our last van, we had an 800 watt microwave oven but our 1kva generator would almost cut out when we tried to microwave anything, so we didn't bother. It also wouldn't run the Hab heating system.
I would go for a generator that has at least a third more power than the most power hungry item you are going to use, but use it considerately.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
I've heard this reasoning several times before. If you didn't top your batteries up with a genny every day, how long would you last? We get at least 3 days on a 90AmH battery.
I have no idea, because i have never done it , but having no power isnt something i can live with, having everything go flat in the evening or overnight isn't an option for us.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I fill timed in a caravan for a while and on a site with no mains. There were 3 of us on the site and we all had big 2kva at least 4 stroke generators. We used long cable runs and put them down the end of the field. Filling up fuel in the rain was an issue.

I used about 2 litres of fuel a day basically using electric as if I was in a house.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
And when they point their exhaust at their neighbour :)
I noticed what I thought a very sensible requirement on one group's rally rules recently - generators must be sited on the user's habitation side :)
It's a very silly rule Graham, if i was to comply last night as i dried my Golden locks i would have gassed three motor homes as they had doors on our "wrong"side so instead i used not so common sense.
Geo

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I have no idea, because i have never done it , but having no power isnt something i can live with, having everything go flat in the evening or overnight isn't an option for us.

I'm not suggesting no power, just considering how long the batteries would last without being topped up every day. The battery meter would give a good indication of charge. Just a thought as some users have found that they are spending a lot of money topping up a couple of large leisure batteries every day when the same batteries would last for several days without a genny.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
I'm not suggesting no power, just considering how long the batteries would last without being topped up every day. The battery meter would give a good indication of charge. Just a thought as some users have found that they are spending a lot of money topping up a couple of large leisure batteries every day when the same batteries would last for several days without a genny.

No, I realize that , but for me I don't care , I need to be able to run laptops and charge stuff , and have external lighting as well , so im not likely to find out. Noise isn't an issue for us , you just respect your neighbour and position accordingly.

I tend to not worry about stuff, having had friends that wont go places because they 'don't want to put miles on it' or only use half the stuff they have so they don't kill the power, or use all the water etc... then they will swap to a new one 'because its better on fuel' .. when they don't use the bloody thing anyway.

That said , the MH for us is a tool, not a luxury, we need one to do what we do, and the associated costs are part of the deal.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I believe a lot of our power problems find their origins in the fact that many motorhomers want to duplicate the lifestyle they have in their houses whilst they are away in their vans.

As I moved into my van fulltime decades ago I found I could do without (or at least with less) of some of the stuff I took for granted when living in bricks and mortar...

I adapted to the different situation.

Now I have a small Honda genny which I use in my van to power the small oven, food mixer, and recently acquired toasted sandwich maker.

After all, I am happy to use much less water and I never miss a big screen TV, but no one can manage without a Fray Bentos Pie, a toasted cheese and ham sandwich or a whipped Angel Delight Chocolate dessert (with bits of cake added) now and again!

Eat fruit and raw vegetables, wash less and save the planet (and the power in your leisure batteries)!

(Dave, aka Snowbird, with be choking on his mid-morning snack if he reads that last sentence.)

JJ :cool:

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
We have a 3kva generator built in that will run everything in the van, including the air con unit, rated at 2kw.
A lot of electrical items will require more than their stated power consumption when they switch on, for example, in our last van, we had an 800 watt microwave oven but our 1kva generator would almost cut out when we tried to microwave anything, so we didn't bother. It also wouldn't run the Hab heating system.
I would go for a generator that has at least a third more power than the most power hungry item you are going to use, but use it considerately.
The microwave problem is because an 800W microwave produces 800W of microwave energy. They are rather inefficient and the rating plate on the back of my 800W unit says it requires an input of 1250W.

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
so going back to the op,
question....can anyone tell me if a generator with a power output of 1.6 kw will run a large motorhome. Please tell what you meen by 'run large mh' ie as if on hook up?

Last edited:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I take issue with an Angel Delight being whisked up in a food mixer. The Beaters on mixers are terrible difficult to lick - any experienced cook knows that. If I can do it in 30 seconds flat using an ordinary hand whisk or in 45 secs with a large table fork then I'm damn sure a great big rufty tufty bloke like JJ could manage! And licking the implement clean as we know, is a cook's perk.

Butterscotch for me please!

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
If you are taking whisk's , sandwich toasters, and all the other paraphernalia , I think you are missing the point.. you cant 'get away from it all' if you are taking it with you .

travel light , eat simple, lose the clutter.

If you are on EHU , it doesn't matter , but I wouldn't even run a kettle off that.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I take issue with an Angel Delight being whisked up in a food mixer. The Beaters on mixers are terrible difficult to lick - any experienced cook knows that. If I can do it in 30 seconds flat using an ordinary hand whisk or in 45 secs with a large table fork then I'm damn sure a great big rufty tufty bloke like JJ could manage! And licking the implement clean as we know, is a cook's perk.

Butterscotch for me please!
I simply take issue with Angel Delight myself. Horrible stuff always tasted like soap to me :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back