Gendarme

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by motorhomewave, Aug 15, 2014.

1. motorhomewave

motorhomewave Funster

We take a trip over to France about three times a year and for about the last five years I haven't bothered with headlight deflectors. I am indeed the proud owner of a set of plastic deflectors but they are in the bag with high vis vests, spare bulbs and breathalyser kit all specially prepared for a visit from the tight trousered Gendarme astride his BMW. I gather the French law enforcers have taken to have bash the Brit weeks and no doubt on the day our front wheels touch the docks in Calais a mammoth campaign will begin.
    My question is......what glue should I use to stick on these plastic deflectors so I can remove them with relative ease ?

2. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Don't do it, if you have daylight running lights they cant be deflected, just use them

Park up well before dark and if the weather demands lights stop for a coffee

I have never seen a single foreign vehicle over here with deflectors fitted, I don't believe they are all modified without

but do get your hi viz out of the bag, especially if they are stored in a garage or external locker, you must not get out without wearing it, allegedly, but I don't of anybody ever stopped or fined for not wearing one

• Like Like x 2
  3. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

I have been recycling the same pair of Eurolite deflectors for about four years now. First time I peeled them off carefully (still left adhesive behind which I removed with spirit). Now I stick them on with a few strips of waterproof sellotape - cut with scissors. It's my standard job whilst waiting in the loading queue at Dover.

4. chaser

chaser Funster

I just leave mine on , passed a test last month, without a mention about them

5. tambo

tambo Read Only Funster

I armed myself with headlight deflectors two hi viz vests two breathalyser an overhanging load plate an extra warning triangle , a dash cam and european breakdown cover for my trip to france last month ........cost me around £200 in total and never used any of them lol

And il probably not be back in Europe within next 12 months

6. Kool Kroozer

Kool Kroozer Funster

same here, been going to France since 2005 and never used any of the stuff you supposed to - never been stopped - i wouldn't bother to be honest (y)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Frentchy

Frentchy Funster

Try doing the same as the Europeans do when entering the UK? "NOTHING!!"
    they don't even know there is a difference:RollEyes: they never dip main beam until they see the whites of your eyes anyway :Eeek:they were the ones who changed from RH to LH ( I'm told it was Napoleon being left handed who didn't find it user friendly to draw his sword if an oncoming horseman turned out to be a scallywag)
    If you should be pulled by the Cops at the Port for not having the deflectors, ask him what he intends to do
    about the French, and other Continentals going the other way:confused: Also I wouldn't worry too much about the breathalyser kit as you will probably be the only person to carry them, It was the nearest thing to a scam by "Sarcosey's (i cant be bothered to find the correct spelling, I call him Jack the Lad:cool:) brother in law, because he has something to do with the manufacture of them. the obligation to carry them was never made Law; and there was never enough in stock anyway, I wonder who bought them all;)

8. ojibway

ojibway Funster

I have heard mention that in the event of an accident, daytime or night, if the insurer finds out you haven't got deflectors your insurance is invalid. Remember, insurance companies will do ANYTHING to get out of paying up. Don't take the risk!!
    Fortunately we have continental headlight which I swap with UK headlight for the MOT.(y)

9. yodeli

yodeli Funster Life Member

Don't bother ! Just park before night and even if you need them during daylight ..;tunnels or rain or even fog .... just think .... Gendarmes won't be under the bl***y rain to check your lights !!!! AND in case of accident , who do you think is going to tell your insurance you had normal lights on ? Gendarmes? PAH! they won't even think about them YOU ? I bet you'll shut your mouth about it(if asked only!).... They might be broken by then anyway! And sorry to say sir , but you might not even be able to anwer!
    Just drive peacefully, enjoy ,don't drink before driving and no Gendarme on earth will annoy you!

Amicalement

Frankie:cool:

• Like Like x 9
  10. tambo

tambo Read Only Funster

In 2700 miles I only saw 2 gendarmes when I was in france .....and the french drivers are terrible

I passed 4 traffic cars within 100 miles on the a1 coming home

11. abforfun

abforfun Funster

Don't drive at night or in foggy conditions

12. Mr Ed

Mr Ed Funster

Just a thought, I keep my' warning triangles in my garage but in France etc they would be on offside of van,I don't fancy getting them from there so when in Johnny forinner land keep them in gas box on inside side of van (if you see what I mean) Martin

13. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

We never take our deflectors off and it passed the mot last month with them on. They never mentioned them.
    We though we would never drive in the night but we did. We got moved on. That was in Portugal though.

• Like Like x 1
  14. ukbill

ukbill Funster

they blast me with thier bloody headlights when they are over here so i blast them when im over there job done :):whistle:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Allanm

Allanm Funster

I have headlight covers with deflectors fitted on them. They stay on all the time.
    Never seen a foreign car with deflectors on either and it seems foreign lorry drivers thing the speed limit stickers on the back of their vehicles automatically change over to mph when they are over here!
    Allan

16. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

I am intrigued by the replies here which say they leave their deflectors on all the time

Presumably first fitted to comply with continental laws, do you have complete disregard for UK laws?

17. ojibway

ojibway Funster

It might just be the other way round - we blast them over there so they blast us here:LOL::LOL:

• Like Like x 1
  18. ukbill

ukbill Funster

what uk laws we have none they are all eu laws ?

• Like Like x 2
  19. busby

busby Funster

May not be the same ones....BUSBY:D:D

20. chaser

chaser Funster

Sorry but what law are we talking , as I and another poster have said the mhs have passed a mot a month or so ago with them on without a mention