pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Unfortunately yes..

I hoped this wouldn't happen, I asked to keep on topic, I hoped Grahame would come on and give us some more information.. but it's developed into another pointless gassing thread that's has been done to death, there is nothing new and I doubt the OP will ever respond now for fear of ridicule .. :RollEyes:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:but you knew deep down it would, didnt you Jim?:Doh:::bigsmile:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:but you knew deep down it would, didnt you Jim?:Doh:::bigsmile:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Along came the bait and away we all went. :ROFLMAO:
Next question will be can you tow legally with an a frame?
and how far can I walk on my roof without going through it.
I know its early but I really hope the original poster returns with how this happened.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I know its early but I really hope the original poster returns with how this happened.

unfortunatly he picked a well worn subject for his first post.......not his fault at all, just unfortunate.:Doh:

not nice getting these replies to a perfectly innocent post from a newbie.:cry:

wouldnt blame him if he never returns but hope he does..

Dreamchaserrv

Free Member
Jan 31, 2008
Wherever we park
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
9 Years
This member joined today has very few details and does not answer any of the questions. Is this another wind-up by someone with nothing better to do?

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
chancer ?

now there's a thought, original poster has not entered any more details.
Though my brother in law was robbed a few years ago, not sure exactly where, but crooks got in and out undetected 'til morning time when everything gone!

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
The robbers seem expert at the art of anaesthesia, don't you think? l have had more than 11 operations in hospital, result of an accident, and had to be monitored throughout, yet these so called robbers, can administer just the right amount from out side the van, not knowing how many persons are inside, and are spot on everytime! Marvellous! Also l have driven an HGV artic, all over Europe, since the mid seventies, and not once have l come across anyone who had been gassed! And, it begs the question, if these robbers are so adept at knocking people out, why don't they do it where there is a lot more to be gained? i.e. small banks, filling station kiosks, etc. etc. where more money, goods, spirits and cigarettes by the thousand could be had.mmmmmmmmmmm!

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
As a security professional at the highest level for over 20 years, among many things I have been involved in is the arranged shipments of valuables overland throughout the world, whist the security measures taken were always comprehensive and money for security was no object; the use of gas against sleeping drivers was never considered a viable threat and so was not catered for with sealed systems like some armoured cars have or masks etc.

In recent years as a security consultant I am paid to assess threats and risk and advise clients accordingly. After weighing up the evidence i just cannot take the gas stories seriously. I give more weight to scientists/professionals that say it could not happen to the few that say they "must have been gassed" because they did not wake up. My opinion is that gas attacks do not happen. I wildcamp everywhere (everywhere we shouldn't) Have I got a narcotic gas alarm fitted? No. Would I advise someone to buy one? Maybe, not to detect gas, but to give peace of mind.

N

N Luyetund

Deleted User
Only 38 posts:Doh:

come on folks yore slacking:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

join in, it's a gas::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

(in case you spotted it... tales of y...)

Last edited by a moderator:

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Just wondering, it made me look up what products are on offer that would made it harder for any intruder gas or else wise, if anyone gathers my drift:ROFLMAO:

champers

OP
OP
G

grahameroadstar

Deleted User
hi flyboy,

unless i miss read your comments you seem to say that it is down to that persons stupidity that they are robbed, this is rather a crass statement to make, there are gangs of these robbers that patrol the aires in their areas, if they see an interesting target they will strike, they know where to look i.e lyon is a full days drive from the ports at calais and they know motorhomers will be shattered and will stop at these aires for rest, presenting a perfect target.is not through peoples stupidity at all. you are lucky and do hope you remain so, motorhoming for six years is not long, and from my motorhoming experiences in france and spain you need to sleep away from the aires completely town centres is a safe bet.

regards
grahame

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
hi flyboy,

unless i miss read your comments you seem to say that it is down to that persons stupidity that they are robbed, this is rather a crass statement to make, there are gangs of these robbers that patrol the aires in their areas, if they see an interesting target they will strike, they know where to look i.e lyon is a full days drive from the ports at calais and they know motorhomers will be shattered and will stop at these aires for rest, presenting a perfect target.is not through peoples stupidity at all. you are lucky and do hope you remain so, motorhoming for six years is not long, and from my motorhoming experiences in france and spain you need to sleep away from the aires completely town centres is a safe bet.

regards
grahame

Hi Grahame, im really pleased you came back. But why not answer some of the questions put to you?

OP
OP
G

grahameroadstar

Deleted User
hi
it may seem a strange first posting, but to be honest i am not that interested in this sort of communication, only that i was searching for other motorhome info and this sight appeared and i read further, a young couple was asking was it safe to stay in aires, and i had to pass on to them my experiences ,and it is clearly not. we have spent many many nights in aires in the south of france mainly at les salles sur verdon, how ever there are the aires that are on the road side aires du temp i believes are not safe, and to be quite honest the argument about whether gas was used or not is foolish, a robbery is still a robbery, or if gas was not used it makes it a lot better.

we will always visit france for many weeks of a year, but will never stay on a aires again, if you wish to do so then of corse that is your choice.
but the sheer fact that every one is pretending that it is not happening is making the whole situation easier for the crooks.

regards
grahame

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
we were gased. it is an epidemic in france, thats according to the french police.

hi
to be quite honest the argument about whether gas was used or not is foolish, a robbery is still a robbery, or if gas was not used it makes it a lot better.

Grahame..

In your first post you categorically stated " We were gassed" .. no ambiguity and you cited the French Police ..now you say , "whether gas was used or not is foolish"

No one is denying that robbery happens but it is not an epidemic, we have used French aires for many years and full time now over two years.. in that time we had one instance of theft of a bike.. no gas was used , we just didn't hear anyone..

It has been widely publicised that Auto Route Aires and aires near large cities are best avoided due to the high incidence of break ins.. but no one yet has provided any evidence of a gas being used .. so when you posted everyone was keen to hear your story and if you could furnish some details.. proving once and for all that gas is used.. or not.. hence the keen interest, if you have no proof then just say so. In either case it would be appreciated if you could use the "Report a Crime" ( left hand column, half way down) facility on this site and help others to avoid the high risk aires.

Thanks
Jim

Last edited:

mickandalva

Free Member
Nov 12, 2009
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Arca
Exp
gassed

The robbers seem expert at the art of anaesthesia, don't you think? l have had more than 11 operations in hospital, result of an accident, and had to be monitored throughout, yet these so called robbers, can administer just the right amount from out side the van, not knowing how many persons are inside, and are spot on everytime! Marvellous! Also l have driven an HGV artic, all over Europe, since the mid seventies, and not once have l come across anyone who had been gassed! And, it begs the question, if these robbers are so adept at knocking people out, why don't they do it where there is a lot more to be gained? i.e. small banks, filling station kiosks, etc. etc. where more money, goods, spirits and cigarettes by the thousand could be had.mmmmmmmmmmm!
Not many dead bodies about???

May 22, 2008
Funster No
I am very sceptical about this post and rather confused, the poster jumps from what did happen, what may have happened , it happened to me ,it happened to others, all very confused I would say.:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

that sums it up nicely :roflmto:

0994_LRG.jpg

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
How is your boy still alive I wonder.....the amount of gas necessary to subdue an adult would have probably killed a child. What vent did they inject this gas into? did they have a tanker full of it? the fridge vents are sealed to the interior and would have probably blowen up in there face due to heat at back of fridge and highly inflammable nature of gas. why did not your alarm sound when they opened the door? and finally where did this specifically happen.

so you and your child were gassed and you did not go to a hospital to get checked out?

You where robbed by skilful thieves who have been doing this for generations and could probably have the gold fillings out of your teeth without you realising it. Remember Fagan in Oliver and his apprentices? its the same trade just more evolved.......

Up your security, get dead locks and an alarm that can be armed while you sleep. and don't sleep overnight on motorway Aires. you have learnt the hard way but please dont add to this urban myth and scare others

Last edited:

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Cumbria, Lake district UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
Anaesthetic gas and it's use in thefts from caravans... an experts view:

Such is the confusion over the subject that we decided to enlist the opinion of reader Dr Gilbert Park, Consultant in Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, in Cambridge. We asked him to tell us, using his professional experience, whether he believed that gas attacks were possible or, indeed, likely.
Dr Park says that "according to the media the incidents are increasing. The occupants of motorhomes are being rendered unconscious by narcotic (sleeping) gases being sprayed into the vehicle before the occupants are robbed.
"The commonest narcotic gas available to criminals is contained in sprays designed to help reluctant vehicle engines to start. These contain diethyl ether, the same sort of gas used to anaesthetise humans for medical operations.
"Other gases, such as propane, may also be used but these are not narcotic. They replace the oxygen in air thereby suffocating the vehicle's occupants.
"When I was training as an anaesthetist, many years ago now, I was taught to use ether to put healthy humans off to sleep for surgery. It is not easy. Ether is a pungent vapour that causes coughing and irritation of the airways.
It is also very slow to act. Even when holding a mask over the patient's face, minutes would pass before they went to sleep. During the phase of going off to sleep there can be a period of excitement when the patient might become very restless. Because of these and other difficulties, ether is no longer used and has been replaced by other anaesthetic drugs.
"It is difficult to believe that a concentration of ether sufficient to put somebody to sleep, could be delivered by spraying the gas into a motorhome through a ventilation plate. However, it might be possible to make an occupant more sleepy than normal by using a low concentration of ether, especially if they are tired after a long drive, or possibly after a nice glass or two of red wine.
"If a robbery were to be discovered, the pungent smell of ether would still be present and could not be missed. Interestingly, few of the reports I have read mention this. But if it is used and the driver has been sedated then they probably shouldn't drive for 24 hours afterwards in order to allow the effects to wear off completely - just like being given sedation in hospital.
"So, do I think the risk of being anaesthetised, or suffocated, is enough to make me buy an alarm? No. Will I fit one to my 'van? Yes. Why? Because ether, and the other gases, are highly flammable. Ether fires are terrifying and I would like to know if someone were spraying this into my motorhome. Every month, the pages of magazines contain three or four adverts for gas detectors, to protect against such a problem. Furthermore, criminals probably don't read Practical Motorhome and may still believe they can anaesthetise us with an ether spray.
An alarm might just frighten off these would-be attackers."

teensvan

Free Member
Jul 25, 2009
Fulltime in Motorhome
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi.

We spend up to 2 months each year on aires and have never met anyone who has been gassed. Most people we chat to on this subject seem to think you have a long drive in a country you are not used to have a good grink of wine or beer and go to bed without locking up. I forgot to lock our M/H door last night and i did not even have a drink. So easy to forget to lock up.

To all who are thinking of using aires for the first time DO SO do not be put off by these stories. JUST TAKE EXTRA CARE. You have more chance of your M/H being broken into in the UK by the local immigrant out of work scum.

steve & ann. ------------ teensvan

bullyfuller201

Free Member
Dec 2, 2009
Funster No
Gas or not gassed ?

Hi Grahame.
first of all, welcome to MHF .. Sorry to here about your experience, it must have been quite awful..
You may or may not be aware that reports of gassing are usually second or third handed and are generally read with some scepticism...
It would be very useful if you could give more details.. do you have a police or hospital report that can confirm you were actually gassed?
I hope you are not offended, but these types of events have often been reported but no one has yet presented any irrefutable proof .. No one will doubt you were robbed but without some evidence few will believe gas was used.
It would be very useful if you start a new thread on this incident, this one is quite old and many may not read it ..

Thanks

Jim

Hi
I also would love to hear from someone who actually was diagnosed with gas effects, i spend 6 months of the year on various aires in europe and have heard the storys but never met anyone who has actually been gased plus the fact i am a mechanic and i cannot think how to spray a can of easy start through the air vents ! I often wonder if the much talked about gas is actually a very nice bottle of red !
Sorry in advance

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Hi.

We spend up to 2 months each year on aires and have never met anyone who has been gassed. Most people we chat to on this subject seem to think you have a long drive in a country you are not used to have a good grink of wine or beer and go to bed without locking up. I forgot to lock our M/H door last night and i did not even have a drink. So easy to forget to lock up.

To all who are thinking of using aires for the first time DO SO do not be put off by these stories. JUST TAKE EXTRA CARE. You have more chance of your M/H being broken into in the UK by the local immigrant out of work scum.

steve & ann. ------------ teensvan

The local immigrant scum you refer to must be a large percentage of my local hospital who on more than one occasion have saved my life, the doctors and nurses in intensive care who looked after me while on life support for weeks I will never forget and owe them a big debt for the care I was given and still get today.So excuse me for getting on my soapbox but you cannot say immigrant scum and expect some of us who are not racists to take offencehardhat
have you though for two months of the year at least you could be classed as immigrant scum by the French?

Obelix67

Free Member
Aug 31, 2009
Switzerland
Funster No
Exp
I got an L reg VW in 1983
Do folks really think that Lyon is a days drive from Calais ?

In the 80's we would leave Aberdeen drive to Dover get the ferry to Calais and sleep on it then drive down to near Bandol. This we normally acheived in 24 hours.

Recently due to the volcano, I had to drop my mother in law off at the ferry, left Switzerland drove to Fishguard, dropped her off and was home for 11pm the following night, I love the chunnel.

Maybe I am just weird.:Eeek:

If a great Danes Farts are anything like a Great Pyrenees Farts then I know where the gas came from :winky:

T

TomTee

Deleted User
To the best of my knowledge there is only one recorded case of narcotic gas being pumped into any environment containing people. In 2002, 40 to 50 Chechen Islamist terrorists took hostage every one in a Moscow theatre.

Eventually, the Russian army/secret service/police, we don't know who, pumped in a narcotic gas as a means of subduing the terrorists. 170 people died!

This was an authority with the best brains at their disposal, both medical and scientific but so imprecise is an action like this that the result was inevitable.

And people try to tell us that a bunch of Albanian chavs can pump in just enough gas to induce deep sleep in both infants and adults, with injuring them! This in a caravan with holes all over the place for the gas to escape almost as soon as it's introduced.

Don't make me laugh!

The gas used by the Russians has never been identified and it is believed that it was an experimental gas as no normal anaesthetic gas could have worked. And neither did this!

Mandaxxx

Free Member
Feb 19, 2010
Wherever we stop.
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
A very interedting thread this, we've been 'aires-ing' for 6 years now, we don't touch the motorway ones and try to find the small village ones or near sea/river/lake, no problems at all.
Don't 'they' say you need a day to get over an hours worth of anaseathia (dodgy spelling) :Eeek::ROFLMAO:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
surely these stories were brought about for some financial gain by some gas attack alarm manufacturer.
just like i believe that the viruses on computers are written by antivirus software developers.

Wow what a great business idea invent some useless pile of toss then create a problem that makes it the most important thing in the world.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
surely these stories were brought about for some financial gain by some gas attack alarm manufacturer.
just like i believe that the viruses on computers are written by antivirus software developers.

Wow what a great business idea invent some useless pile of toss then create a problem that makes it the most important thing in the world.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Totally agree with you...

Create wave of fear and then come up with a miraculous cure....

So Predictable. :Angry:

motorvating

Free Member
Feb 28, 2010
Hinckley
Funster No
MH
RV E350 Diesel
Exp
1 year
Don't believe it one bit. As we have seen, putting a human to sleep without killing is a fine science, and bearing in mind each one of us takes a different amount due to size, weight, age, fitness and health, it would be very difficult to put us all to sleep without killing the young, old and sick. If people were being gassed in any numbers there would have been deaths. We would have seen medical reports from people who have been gassed showing us the amount of traces of gas in their blood stream. The fact of the matter is, an urban legend has developed to such a level that we see these posts on forums without the slightest bit of evidence.

I do not doubt that their have been people gassed, but they are a minute number of people. In the west, the single most thing likely to kill us is crossing the road, so we need to put it in perspective.

T

TomTee

Deleted User
Oh my God! The conspiracy theorists are out in force! Viruses were created by software companies so you'll buy their protection. Gassing was invented by firms which make gas-detection devices, AIDs was invented in lab so that the government could kill off all homosexuals and blacks, presumably the common cold was created by the big pharmaceutical companies do we'll all have to buy their remedies?

It must be awful living your life thinking that everyone is out to get you!

Once again I reiterate the most important point that all these people can't seem to grasp - if a software company for instance, had its employees invent viruses and release them on the world it could never fire anybody. The programmers involved could hold the firm to ransom for ever by threatening to tell the truth. Just imagine the class actions for damages if a company was found to have released a destructive virus.

Apart from which if some of you guys actually read the newspapers you'd know that virtually every major virus has been tracked to some sad computer freak who's 26 and still lives with his mum.

There are some secrets that you simply cannot keep - secrets that would soon leak as soon a one disgruntled employee got fired! Get a life folks and stop worrying about all these dreadful people who are conspiring against you and the world!

And finally - gassing was invented by people who got drunk, were robbed whilst they were in a deep sleep and woke up feeling a bit woozy as they were on a train, which is were this nonsense originated (on the French long distance trains taking people on long journeys to the south of France).

In order to make sure their insurance company pays up they didn't admit to not locking the door but decided that they must have been gassed. I promise you, the so-called narcotic gas detection devices came along much later and were made by firms who probably actually believed that gassing was real! As you know, some people will believe anything!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back