Gaslow

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by ShiftZZ, Jul 19, 2012.

1. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

I have Gaslow fitted and I have found it ok, but, the filler is on the inside of the cylinder/gas bottle cupboard.

The issue I have is that its position makes it hard to connect up to LPG pump and lock on, as the locking lever catches on the cupboard door.

I am now thinking about moving the filler connector and was wondering where Funsters would suggest is the best position.,

a) On the cupboard door,
    b) On the bodywork.
    c)Inside.

Suggestions would be appreciated and where would cause the least 'issues' overseas.

Thanks

Dave

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  2. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Mine is on the body, just to the rear of the gas locker door. Because the door is slightly smaller than the locker this means the back of the filler is within the locker so no need to pass the pipes through anything.

• Like Like x 1
  3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

For least issues when filling ..

Bodywork would be the best place..

Cupboard door, second best. My reason for saying so is that the connecting hose is being flexed every time you open the door which can lead to leaks .. or even a fracture in the hose..

Inside as you have discovered can be awkward to access and also makes filling station attendants nervous ..

• Like Like x 1
  4. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Found this pic. You can see the filler.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  5. JJ

JJ Funster

My feelings on the topic are...

On a FIRM part of the body (with reinforcement if necessary)... Those filling pipe thingies are, as you know, heavy.

Not on the door, as mentioned above, too much flexing...

Not inside as it might, only might, on rare occasions cause problems at some stations when filling...

JJ :Cool:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

That was an A class picture but you're locker may also have space? if not is the skirt strong enough as there is space to the rear of the side marker reflector. It will cope with a slightly curved surface.
    My autocruise is on a double curve
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  7. tomm2

tomm2 Read Only Funster

Initially I opted for the internal bracket for the filler ( didnt want to be drilling holes in MH bodywork ) . However , changed my mind when I saw the bulk of the LPG pump filler nozzle.Went for the external filler point , positioned on panel body of MH , immediately to the side of the locker door.This gives rigidity to the fitting , no need to strengthen plastic skirt fill points etc . Also , the external filler point goes direct in to gas locker ,so no drilling or passing pipes through other areas of MH.... Like other replies , I would not opt for the on door filler , too much flexing of pipes.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Techno

The bottom of the gaslocker is usually lower than the hab floor so quite easy to put a 40mm hole through the side below floor level for the fill pipe. I put a 40mm brass bush and locknut on mine.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  9. sedge

sedge Funster

Ours is inside the locker, affixed to the roof of the locker with a bracket supplied by Gaslow with the rest of the bits. The only flexing the pipe would ever need to do is if we ever needed to take the bottles out, which we haven't and surely you'd disconnect the bottles in situ first, anyway, if that was the case?

Like eg if we changed the van and removed the system to put in the new van?

• Like Like x 1
  10. cydersyd

cydersyd Funster

I'm really interested in all these replies too as I am planning to have a Gaslow system installed soon. A suggestion that was made to me which seemed sensible was to have the filling point at the back of the van. This can then be filled from a pump on either side of the the van taking away the need to drive into the the garage on the "correct" side.

If anyone knows of someone who could fit my system in or around Somerset/Dorset I would be grateful.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

http://www.gaslow.co.uk/dealers.htm

12. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

I saw somewhere that French filling stations will only allow filling through an inlet in the bodywork - opening the door is a definite no no. Not sure of the legal status of that.

We're having a Gaslow single cylinder system fitted this week - the cylinder will be tucked into the corner of the compartment away from the door. The filler will be fitted to the side of the van just behind the compartment door. The space immediately behind the door will be for a reserve 6kg Calor cylinder in case the Gaslow system doesn't work for some reason.

• Like Like x 1
  13. cydersyd

cydersyd Funster

Thanks for the link Shiftzz.

I am planning to buy a system separately from FES Autogas and hopefully have it fitted locally. This will work out cheaper than having it supplied and fitted at a commercial dealer. However the link you sent is very useful and will remain in my favorites folder.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Techno

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  15. frogijock

frogijock Funster

I have a Rapido 799FF and have my refillable connection on the skirt just to the side of the gas locker and find no problems with filling in this position

• Like Like x 1
  16. Techno

Your profile says you have a 776FF ??

17. frogijock

frogijock Funster

Slip of the fingers plus memory lapse should read 776FF:Blush:

• Like Like x 1
  18. wiljoy

wiljoy Funster

Hi mate, I am in the process of fitting mine to the sill area so that I can feed the pipe through the bottom vent in the locker.
    This also allows an easier option to remove the full system if you sell the van. It is a 75mm hole which posed a problem but I'm good at borrowing gear (I do look after it and return after use). The French and Spanish are starting to outlaw any vehicle that has to open a locker door to refuel gas. More crap for us to digest.
    Hope this info helps

• Like Like x 1
  19. Techno

I'd drill the hole in the side of the locker rather than go up through the vent as it looks like your van is close to the ground already and it's less of an acute bend in your pipe

• Like Like x 1
  20. canopus

canopus Funster Life Member

I have the same van as you and was given to understand that the filler point should be located as low as possible i.e. level with the bottom of the gas cylinder(s)

IMAG0058 (Copy).jpg

• Like Like x 2