Gaslow advice

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Stewart J, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

Considering changing over to Gaslow, bewildering array of hoses and fittings, what are the basic requirements UK touring only at the moment. I'm thinking 2 x 6 kg cylinders with an in-locker filler, not sure about auto changeover.

Comment / advice welcomed.

Thanks in advance

Stewart

2. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

hi Stewart, would go for a big bottle and a small ordinary bottle for just in case use. You are rarely far from LPG over here so filling up when you get fuel is quite simple.

No array of kit, simple fuel filler in to the gaslow bottle, connected to an auto change over with the emergency bottle switched off. Or dont even bother with a change over. Reason we use this route is because when abroad we have pigtails to take various bottles without having to disturb the gaslow system.

it really will be the best money you ever spend though what ever way you attempt to do it.

3. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

Hi Stewart, we had gaslow, but then changed to Alugas bottles as they are half the weight. :BigGrin: But what ever you have fitted I would have an external filler. :thumb: Bob.

4. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

Tempted by Alugas, just had to renew my regulator and went for a gaslow one I'm assuming this would also be suitable for Alugas?

Why an external filler? am I right in guessing because of problems experienced in attempting to fill up in France etc?

5. stagman

stagman Deleted User

Manual changeover and external filler , yes problems with internal fill they don't like it here or in France , bit pointless changing over to Alu if you already got Gaslow .:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  6. JJ

JJ Funster

IMO...

External filler (fitted somewhere strong or with a strong bracket as the gas filling hose and fitting is heavy) and don't bother with auto change over (unless you don't mind running out when you don't realise it has changed over and you empty both bottles.)

JJ :Cool:

• Like Like x 1
  7. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Very good instruction leaflet on their site.

We have one 11kg tank. This leaves space for junk or a loose tank that could be a European one, maybe. All of September in Europe did not empty the 11kg.

As JJ said, external filler looks more professional.

• Like Like x 1
  8. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

Hi, It was just saving weight going to Alugas, never lost much on the Gaslow bottles, and the alugas bottles are the same and we got them for a good price.:BigGrin:

We have two 11 kg and got them here: http://www.gasit.co.uk/cubecart/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=92

The only time we have had any problem filling was in the old eastern Germany, and they came and checked what we were filling before turning the pump On or often filled for you.:Smile:

But if you have an external filler your OK, start opening the locker door and alarm bells start ringing. :Doh::Rofl1: Bob.

• Like Like x 1
  9. GeraldandAnnie

GeraldandAnnie Read Only Funster

Two 11kg bottles, no auto changeover, external filler.

Some suppliers will sell a kits of bits, including the hoses and bits and pieces you need. If you intend to travel on the continent (which is why I fitted the kit), you'll need adapters - a French one, and a "Euro" one. Gaslow sell them.

If you don't have a changeover, make sure you keep one bottle turned off, otherwise you're in the 'running out of gas' situation.

AND (finally) :RollEyes: if you're going abroad, download a set of Euro GPL POIs to your satnav. It's helped us a lot.

Gerald

10. gypsylady

gypsylady Read Only Funster

Had Gaslow now for about 4 years.

Only 1 x 11kg bottle and have never run out. Only needed 1 top-up in Europe when on 4 weeks touring holiday.

We fill up when we think we'll be low (usually at the start of a trip) and usually only need £3 or £4.

We went the self-fit route. So easy to do. The worst bit was deciding where to drill for the external filler - new van, didnt want to spoil her looks. Finally opted for a spot near the top of the locker so we had room for the essential junk we carry.

June

11. stagman

stagman Deleted User

We went the self-fit route. So easy to do. The worst bit was deciding where to drill for the external filler - new van, didnt want to spoil her looks. Finally opted for a spot near the top of the locker so we had room for the essential junk we carry.

June[/QUOTE]

The filler connection should be fitted to the lowest point possible preferably below the bottles and external .:thumb:

12. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

The filler connection should be fitted to the lowest point possible preferably below the bottles and external .:thumb:[/QUOTE]
    why? that does not make sense to me liquid propane is heavier than air. what am I missing

13. vwalan

vwalan Funster

hi, certainly the filler on my tank in the yard is right on top of the tank . 'cars i have had have allways had the filler high up. cant really say as i have noticed any bing low down.
    can you give a better explanation . its an interesting question why low. cheers alan.
    we like to learn something new .

14. hilldweller

The aim is to ensure any gas leakage cannot leak above floor level inside, obviously not good if it does.

15. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

Stewart....I was like you ....Gaslow...THEN I SAW A COUPLE OF MEMBERS HAD ALUGAS...a lot lighter...about the same price....and so I had them fitted 2x11kg by Dave Newell ...:thumb: first class. also the job came with all 4 adaptors

Mel

16. gypsylady

The filler connection should be fitted to the lowest point possible preferably below the bottles and external .:thumb:[/QUOTE]

When I say the top of the locker I mean the gas locker and an external point "worried about spoiling external looks when drilling" quote

The lower fitted the quicker and easier it will freeze up in the winter. We had this happen once before when in Scotland over the New Year. A frozen inlet and really cold hands.

June

17. gypsylady

Brian,

There are vents on the floor of the gas locker, and more in the locker door.

The filler is 4" away from the vent, and the locker is sealed from the habitation side.

It is important to turn off the gas tap ontop of the bottle before attempting to fill-er-up.

The filler to the gas bottle has only 2 joints, which make only 2 extra joint to those already in the compartment.

The Gaslow pipes are reinforced pipes unlike the fitted Calor pipes.

Dont think we'll get any leakage into the van.

June

18. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Well you have two professional ports of call to ask, Glenn in my workshop on 01-580-883061 or Eddie VanBitz, both of us can supply the bits with Funsters discount as well :thumb:

Peter

19. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

Brian, In all of that month in Europe in September ....did you use site/Aire's electric (EHU) at all...or was it all gas !

Mel

20. hilldweller

We were hooked up some of the time, but all cooking, bbq and heating is gas.

It was an odd experience, 4 vans, we'd stop and almost before the wheels stopped the other 3 would be grabbing the hook up cord. It was like an umbilical cord they could not do without but since we drove for a week solid I'm sure they did not need it. I hooked up only when I knew we were planted for 4 or 5 days.

The one killer for us is charging electric bikes.

• Like Like x 1