Gaslow advice (1 Viewer)

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Considering changing over to Gaslow, bewildering array of hoses and fittings, what are the basic requirements UK touring only at the moment. I'm thinking 2 x 6 kg cylinders with an in-locker filler, not sure about auto changeover.

Comment / advice welcomed.

Thanks in advance

Stewart

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
hi Stewart, would go for a big bottle and a small ordinary bottle for just in case use. You are rarely far from LPG over here so filling up when you get fuel is quite simple.

No array of kit, simple fuel filler in to the gaslow bottle, connected to an auto change over with the emergency bottle switched off. Or dont even bother with a change over. Reason we use this route is because when abroad we have pigtails to take various bottles without having to disturb the gaslow system.

it really will be the best money you ever spend though what ever way you attempt to do it.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi Stewart, we had gaslow, but then changed to Alugas bottles as they are half the weight. ::bigsmile: But what ever you have fitted I would have an external filler. :thumb: Bob.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Tempted by Alugas, just had to renew my regulator and went for a gaslow one I'm assuming this would also be suitable for Alugas?

Why an external filler? am I right in guessing because of problems experienced in attempting to fill up in France etc?

Hi Stewart, we had gaslow, but then changed to Alugas bottles as they are half the weight. ::bigsmile: But what ever you have fitted I would have an external filler. :thumb: Bob.

S

stagman

Deleted User
Tempted by Alugas, just had to renew my regulator and went for a gaslow one I'm assuming this would also be suitable for Alugas?

Why an external filler? am I right in guessing because of problems experienced in attempting to fill up in France etc?

Manual changeover and external filler , yes problems with internal fill they don't like it here or in France , bit pointless changing over to Alu if you already got Gaslow .:thumb:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
IMO...

External filler (fitted somewhere strong or with a strong bracket as the gas filling hose and fitting is heavy) and don't bother with auto change over (unless you don't mind running out when you don't realise it has changed over and you empty both bottles.)

JJ :Cool:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Considering changing over to Gaslow, bewildering array of hoses and fittings, what are the basic requirements UK touring only at the moment. I'm thinking 2 x 6 kg cylinders with an in-locker filler, not sure about auto changeover.

Thanks in advance

Stewart

Very good instruction leaflet on their site.

We have one 11kg tank. This leaves space for junk or a loose tank that could be a European one, maybe. All of September in Europe did not empty the 11kg.

As JJ said, external filler looks more professional.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp

Hi, It was just saving weight going to Alugas, never lost much on the Gaslow bottles, and the alugas bottles are the same and we got them for a good price.::bigsmile:

We have two 11 kg and got them here: Link Removed

The only time we have had any problem filling was in the old eastern Germany, and they came and checked what we were filling before turning the pump On or often filled for you.:Smile:

But if you have an external filler your OK, start opening the locker door and alarm bells start ringing. :Doh::ROFLMAO: Bob.

GeraldandAnnie

Free Member
Aug 6, 2007
Essex coast
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2006
Two 11kg bottles, no auto changeover, external filler.

Some suppliers will sell a kits of bits, including the hoses and bits and pieces you need. If you intend to travel on the continent (which is why I fitted the kit), you'll need adapters - a French one, and a "Euro" one. Gaslow sell them.

If you don't have a changeover, make sure you keep one bottle turned off, otherwise you're in the 'running out of gas' situation.

AND (finally) :RollEyes: if you're going abroad, download a set of Euro GPL POIs to your satnav. It's helped us a lot.

Gerald

gypsylady

Free Member
Jun 24, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Happy One
Exp
Since 2005
Had Gaslow now for about 4 years.

Only 1 x 11kg bottle and have never run out. Only needed 1 top-up in Europe when on 4 weeks touring holiday.

We fill up when we think we'll be low (usually at the start of a trip) and usually only need £3 or £4.

We went the self-fit route. So easy to do. The worst bit was deciding where to drill for the external filler - new van, didnt want to spoil her looks. Finally opted for a spot near the top of the locker so we had room for the essential junk we carry.

June

S

stagman

Deleted User
We went the self-fit route. So easy to do. The worst bit was deciding where to drill for the external filler - new van, didnt want to spoil her looks. Finally opted for a spot near the top of the locker so we had room for the essential junk we carry.

June[/QUOTE]

The filler connection should be fitted to the lowest point possible preferably below the bottles and external .:thumb:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967

June

The filler connection should be fitted to the lowest point possible preferably below the bottles and external .:thumb:[/QUOTE]
why? that does not make sense to me liquid propane is heavier than air. what am I missing

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, certainly the filler on my tank in the yard is right on top of the tank . 'cars i have had have allways had the filler high up. cant really say as i have noticed any bing low down.
can you give a better explanation . its an interesting question why low. cheers alan.
we like to learn something new .

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The filler connection should be fitted to the lowest point possible preferably below the bottles and external .:thumb:
why? that does not make sense to me liquid propane is heavier than air. what am I missing

The aim is to ensure any gas leakage cannot leak above floor level inside, obviously not good if it does.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

Thanks in advance

Stewart

Stewart....I was like you ....Gaslow...THEN I SAW A COUPLE OF MEMBERS HAD ALUGAS...a lot lighter...about the same price....and so I had them fitted 2x11kg by Dave Newell ...:thumb: first class. also the job came with all 4 adaptors

Mel

gypsylady

Free Member
Jun 24, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Happy One
Exp
Since 2005

June

The filler connection should be fitted to the lowest point possible preferably below the bottles and external .:thumb:[/QUOTE]

When I say the top of the locker I mean the gas locker and an external point "worried about spoiling external looks when drilling" quote

The lower fitted the quicker and easier it will freeze up in the winter. We had this happen once before when in Scotland over the New Year. A frozen inlet and really cold hands.

June

gypsylady

Free Member
Jun 24, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Happy One
Exp
Since 2005
The aim is to ensure any gas leakage cannot leak above floor level inside, obviously not good if it does.

Brian,

There are vents on the floor of the gas locker, and more in the locker door.

The filler is 4" away from the vent, and the locker is sealed from the habitation side.

It is important to turn off the gas tap ontop of the bottle before attempting to fill-er-up.

The filler to the gas bottle has only 2 joints, which make only 2 extra joint to those already in the compartment.

The Gaslow pipes are reinforced pipes unlike the fitted Calor pipes.

Dont think we'll get any leakage into the van.

June

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Well you have two professional ports of call to ask, Glenn in my workshop on 01-580-883061 or Eddie VanBitz, both of us can supply the bits with Funsters discount as well :thumb:

Peter

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Very good instruction leaflet on their site.

We have one 11kg tank. This leaves space for junk or a loose tank that could be a European one, maybe. All of September in Europe did not empty the 11kg.

As JJ said, external filler looks more professional.

Brian, In all of that month in Europe in September ....did you use site/Aire's electric (EHU) at all...or was it all gas !

Mel

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Brian, In all of that month in Europe in September ....did you use site/Aire's electric (EHU) at all...or was it all gas !
Mel

We were hooked up some of the time, but all cooking, bbq and heating is gas.

It was an odd experience, 4 vans, we'd stop and almost before the wheels stopped the other 3 would be grabbing the hook up cord. It was like an umbilical cord they could not do without but since we drove for a week solid I'm sure they did not need it. I hooked up only when I knew we were planted for 4 or 5 days.

The one killer for us is charging electric bikes.

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Just wanting to thank everyone for their advice and suggestions, you've given us a lot to think about, so again thank you very much

Stewart & Marjorie

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
now we have nearly three pages of gaslow advic can i say get a filler off ebay . saves far more cash . just as convienient and can be used for other bottles as well. shme to not mention it . cost about 20-30 quid. and can be used abroad if you dont go waving the bottle about .
hee hee .

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have a single large Gaslow bottle, I mounted the filler in the top of the gas locker using the recommended bracket - less likely to get knocked etc being up out of the way and at a better height for refilling. We actually bought it originally for our Rimor which could take a large and small Calor bottle, but we found we never used the small bottle at all. We now have a Chausson Flash 04 and the gas locker is only large enough for one bottle so for us it has proved to be vital for it to be refillable as we can't carry a spare.

We've never had a problem filling the bottle in the UK or abroad and usually the fuel station attendants are very helpful.

Personally I wouldn't go for the 'Ebay special' filler adaptor .... too much of a safety risk and you are more likely not to be allowed to refil the gas by trying to use it.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi minx .i acept your views but can you honestly say when you open your locker door how many times someone as come out to check what you are filling.
i fit the adaptor before getting to the garage . open locker door fill up just like you . in 30yrs have never once been asked to not fill.
i used to use a car filla acme thread filla adated to fit bottles but find the ebay ones much more compact and do look neater.
but really have you been asked yet.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Looked at both Gaslow and Alugas.
Went with Alugas because as a fitter I liked what came with the kit, liked the people flogging it ( helpful and had time to speak ) and like the price ( considerably less than Gaslow )
I fitted the whole kit in about an hour without any difficulty and with tools most folk would have to hand ( about the only stuff you might not have to hand is a roll of TPFE tape .. appreciate not everyone is likely to have that just handy :winky: )

That was about 18 months ago.. Still really pleased with it all

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I fitted the whole kit in about an hour without any difficulty and with tools most folk would have to hand ( about the only stuff you might not have to hand is a roll of TPFE tape .. appreciate not everyone is likely to have that just handy :winky: )

To HAND??? I have spent years untangling the bloody stuff from whatever I am trying to extricate from the 'handy drawer' or toolbox. The outer plastic cover never seems to stay on and tape has a life of it's own snaking it's way round things. Useful stuff though :Smile: Jane

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Looked at both Gaslow and Alugas.
Went with Alugas because as a fitter I liked what came with the kit, liked the people flogging it ( helpful and had time to speak ) and like the price ( considerably less than Gaslow )

That was about 18 months ago.. Still really pleased with it all

Hi I may ne wrong (but do not think I am::bigsmile:) but PTFE tape should not be used on gas :winky:
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back