Gas in Ireland??? (1 Viewer)

Dec 8, 2013
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral
Exp
Since 2015
Planning to visit Ireland for a month at the end of this week and need to work out what to do about Gas. I checked Calor website a few weeks ago and saw that they have distribution throughout ROI and NI so I though there would be no problems getting refills of the red Propane bottles. However, just thought I'd doublecheck and looked at their installation videos for Propane and Butane and notice that the fittings appear to be different. In ROI which is where we are going, they use a 'F Type' fitting which has an external thread as opposed to an internal thread as per UK.

Has anyone got any suggestions? Is there an adaptor that can be used to convert the threads? What do others do? I have thought about getting an LPG tank or refillable bottles but it looks like the number of LPG outlets across UK is reducing due to declining demand so maybe not the most sound investment.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We are just back from there..
Northern Ireland was a wash out as far as LPG goes, but we found several places all over southern Ireland ..
They all used the screw type connectors.. We carry a selection anyway so had no problem at all :)
As for bottled gas, I cannot help.. All we say sold every where was FlowGas, and they had a VERY weird connector indeed !

xyzxx

Free Member
Sep 15, 2016
Ireland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
Hi as I now live in Ireland, I have come across this problem myself!

As you say the Irish Calor bottles are different to those in the UK and hence not interchangeable.

With guidance from Gaslow, the told me the Irish PROPANE bottles have the same left hand thread as the UK BUTANE bottles. They therefore recommended using one of their standard hoses for the UK Butane/Irish Propane and use one of their "easy fit" adaptors (01-1674) for UK Propane. Using this approach you can also use a CampingGas Adaptor (01-1665) as an alternative.

The Irish Butane yellow/orange bottle, whilst more readily available, it requires a totally unique connector. As I use my van over winter, I have avoided the Butane route in favour of Propane, so can not offer a solution forIrish Butane.

Happy travels in Ireland!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Hooflungdung
Dec 8, 2013
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks for the responses.

I have decided to bite the bullet and will be getting a Alugas LPG system installed today. Hopefully this will give us peace f mind wherever we travel in Europe.

Thanks

Mark

jimiol

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
Doonbeg Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coachbulit
Exp
beginner, I don't like the newbie term
http://www.mylpg.eu/stations/ireland
LPG is not as common in Ireland as uk.
Worth looking at your intended route and seeing where there is LPG nearby.
Don't forget to get all the adaptors. Also filling up is similar to filling up with diesel but with significant differences worth googling the technique.
Have a look at motorhome Craic and motorhome parking Ireland these should save you a few quid and give you some good suggestions on where to stop over.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back