Gas Fridges on Ferries? (1 Viewer)

Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
So as we're off on the ferry to Spain soon in the Motorhome I was wondering what people do with there fridges.

Ours is a EHU. Gas or Engine Run. That will only leave the gas option for the 24 hours its on the boat.

1) Will it work with the rocking and rolling
2) Is it allowed to be left on? I don't care to much for rules more a general wondering
3) If it can't/won't work what do people to with the perishable items you take with you? Can't really buy some of it locally.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
The conditions of carriage forbid the use of naked flames on the enclosed car deck of a ferry. It is foolish, dangerous and potentially fatal to leave the fridge on gas during the crossing. I worked in the maritime industry all my life, half of it within the ferry industry.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
davidathomas42
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
The conditions of carriage forbid the use of naked flames on the enclosed car deck of a ferry. It is foolish, dangerous and potentially fatal to leave the fridge on gas during the crossing. I worked in the maritime industry all my life, half of it within the ferry industry.

Just got home from the trip. Its late

I had the fridge off for both 24hr crossings with ice packs in both fridge and freezer compartments and after exiting the ferry port and leaving the fridge on Battery for 30mins of so to get some chill back in before opening the door I note that the freezer packs were still almost frozen in the fridge and frozen in the freezer. All food items were well chilled so it obviously does a great job and there is no need to worry as cant see us doing a longer than 24hour cruise.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back