Gas Fridges on Ferries? (1 Viewer)

Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
So as we're off on the ferry to Spain soon in the Motorhome I was wondering what people do with there fridges.

Ours is a EHU. Gas or Engine Run. That will only leave the gas option for the 24 hours its on the boat.

1) Will it work with the rocking and rolling
2) Is it allowed to be left on? I don't care to much for rules more a general wondering
3) If it can't/won't work what do people to with the perishable items you take with you? Can't really buy some of it locally.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
If you don't mind being responsible for loss of life if something should go wrong with the gas system on your motorhome causing an explosion. .leave it on . !!!! But I am sure you are a much more responsible person than to do that . ..

Upvote 0

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Really bad idea as far as the ferry company and fellow passengers think.

Just as others have said chill the fridge down, don't open the door and put a few freezer blocks in.

We travel twice a year and every thing has always be well chilled/frozen when we arrive.

Also as others have said - Spain does have shops - they are not starving out there. :D

Upvote 0
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I've left mine on during about 15 ferry trips.

Have you EVER heard of a gas fridge causing problems in ANY situation ?

Just another internet myth :)

Upvote 0

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002

Deleted!!!!!! As I am not allowed to break Jim's rule 1 .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
part of my working life was spent working on ferries and regularly travelling on them. i too thought that the stories were a myth. that was until i had to access my vans for tools as the ferry was under way. the gasses that build up on the car decks are toxic and often explosive. we used to be accompanied by a member of crew with a meter and oxygen mask. even then we had to be as fast as possible
no such problem on open decks where the gasses can dissipate, just sealed lower car decks

Upvote 0
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
part of my working life was spent working on ferries and regularly travelling on them. i too thought that the stories were a myth. that was until i had to access my vans for tools as the ferry was under way. the gasses that build up on the car decks are toxic and often explosive. we used to be accompanied by a member of crew with a meter and oxygen mask. even then we had to be as fast as possible
no such problem on open decks where the gasses can dissipate, just sealed lower car decks
I bet petrol problems were 1,000 times more dangerous.

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999

Sorry - but that's utter madness. A fuel leak from an adjacent vehicle will allow vapour to be drawn in. I'm sure you know what could happen then. It doesn't have to be a fault on your fridge & in this case saying it hasn't happened yet is like saying much the same during a game of Russian roulette. In the extremely unlikely event of a maritime shunt your little flame could be the one that caused the car deck to go up.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I bet petrol problems were 1,000 times more dangerous.
Dangerous fumes aren't so much of a problem if there isn't a naked flame to ignite them.
Any idiot that leaves a fridge running on gas on a ferry should be banned from ferries for life. Also it is against maritime law to have naked flames on a enclosed car deck.

Upvote 0

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp
WOW!!! leaving a gas fridge on on board ship....I cannot believe it.....why on earth would anyone want to do such a thing....it's not as if food is difficult to buy on the Continent and the quality is usually a lot better than similar food purchased in the UK!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Just to balance the thread a little, when directed to turn gas off by the ferry company it would be very wrong to ignore or then turn back on after, however, on CalMac for instance, covering virtually all western Scotland ferry trips, they do not ask you to, I have even checked and they do not mind if you leave it on or off, maybe the open deck style of transport storage makes a difference there

I can see why it would be different on enclosed ships on longer crossings

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001

I must introduce you to my friend Carol
You will recognise her, she has burns to her face and arms, they are still quite visible after 10 years
A calor gas leak/explosion caused them, on a boat
She will be able to explain things better than me

Upvote 0
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Be fair to everyone..... this is a beginners thread.
Of course, and nobody is suggesting that it was wrong to ask the question in the first place, although the answer is fairly clear on booking forms etc, and notices on boarding.

I, too, have seen boats and lives destroyed by gas explosions. The gas being heavier than air, the bilges become a time bomb. Much the same applies to accumulated fuel spillages.Frankly I'm shocked to hear any experienced member here casually dismissing such risks as a myth, and certainly wouldn't want to be on the same ferry when they are travelling

Open ferries on relatively short routes may well be treated very differently, I haven't used them (yet) so I can't comment. However a closed ferry on a 24 hour (or whatever) crossing over the Bay if Biscay is an entirely different matter. They wouldn't warn you if it wasn't important

We've done that route a few times, and suitably charged up with ice packs and contents already very cold, everything remains around the right temperature for the duration of the journey. In any case, you can get most of what you need anywhere in Spain and usually for a lot lower cost than in the UK

Upvote 0
OP
OP
davidathomas42
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
WOW!!!it's not as if food is difficult to buy on the Continent and the quality is usually a lot better than similar food purchased in the UK!

Off topic with food. I lived in Madrid for 2 years and have travelled extensively in Spain and I have to say the food off the shelf is diabolical!

Fresh stuff like bread and fruit is great (I don't eat anything from the sea) But my god the shelfs are just depressing. I sooooooooooo missed my local Marks & Spencer's food hall when I lived there. In fact I used to take a massive cool bag in a suitcase every time I came back so I could restock decent stuff.

Anyway. Gas off :-(

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back