Fuel consumption - MPG (1 Viewer)

M

mike tudor

Deleted User
Hi Keith your Flair shoud do about 14-15 so there must a problem my winnie does more towing a car keeps my speed down to about 55mph, have a word with Dave west mids he could tune the engine
Paul

hi there i run a kontiki 3.0 if i stay 60mph iget 22mpg ive now fitted a spider diesel tuner which gives me 197bhp so less throttle more mpg so now im getting 25mpg mike

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
A 2.8JTD 2006 model pulling a 3.5t A Class, remapped by Boosters, with my somewhat exuberant driving style, I usually return around 25mpg. Oddly enough mooching around at lower speed (60 or so) doesn't improve the mpg a huge amount.

John

E

ecosse08

Deleted User
Great news

Bill

Thanks for your info. My wife and I are after an Ace Napoli with the 2.3 Multijet 130engine and I have searched the net tirelessly to find official fuel consumption figures for it without luck. I've no idea whether the 2.2/100 5-Speed or 2/3 130 6-Speed will be better long term but due to a lack of information I'll have to take my chances and plump for the 2.3 130. You've taken a weight off my mind though.

Thanks.

Keith.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

P

Paramount

Deleted User
Hi all,

Modern turbo diesels can easily be tuned specifically for improved fuel economy via ECU remapping or a plug in module.

Paramount Performance have extensive experience with economy tuning and normal improvemensts are 10-20% which I'm sure you'll agree will save you a lot of money over a long trip! We tuned Quentin Willson's Range Rover TDV8 back in June and improved the consumption by 6mpg!

I can offer a special discount for Motor Home Fun members too! :thumb:

Please feel free to contact me through the website: Paramount Performance Ltd - Car Tuning, ECU Remapping, Car Engine Tuning Conversions

Thanks

Sean @ Paramount

Last edited by a moderator:

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
Haven't seen any data for a Sprinter so thought I'd post mine:

Based on new van.
3.5 tonne fully loaded 3.1 metre high-top.
7,356 miles journey.
Touring French Alps including highest passes then down West side Italy, two months in Sicily, then slow meander back up East side of Italy and back through France. Limited motorway use. All trips (shopping etc) done in the van.
Tank theoretically brimmed at every fuel stop, mileage and mpg recorded for each fill.

Min per fill mpg: 23.7
Max per fill mpg: 37.01
Average mpg for whole trip: 28.46

Wide variation on individual fills probably accounted for by failure to brim by Italian pump attendants wishing to round up.

:Smile:
Keith

W

wurdsmiff

Deleted User
Hi,
Not sure where to raise this question, so I thought I would raise it here and see how I get on.
I've just calculated my fuel consumption for a Fiat 2.0 JTD engine pulling a 2.1/2 ton Motorhome, Mclouis Lagan 410 and I’m getting 23.8 MPG. This is based on motorway driving conditions with an average speed of 60 MPH and the rev counter around 2500 revs. I could easily increase my speed but I’m certain my fuel economy would suffer badly. I've thrashed it before over 50 miles or so, to find I was only getting 18 MPG.
I have recently had the ECU Chipped which has improved the smoothness and pulling power quite considerably, especially when going up hills.

Hi Philip
It seems to me that you are doing OK with consumption given your engine size, vehicle weight, vehicle design and driving style (as described). The ECU re-mapping will have helped your potential economy but I suspect you are using the extra power to go faster rather than improve economy. Try dropping 5oo rpm off your speeds and stay off the motorways. Let the holiday start when you close the front door not when you arrive @ your destination. The manufacturers won't like me saying it but a 2.0ltr engine dragging 2.5tons of metal around is gonna take a heavy right foot to get anywhere fast.

Try life in the slow lane and take time to smell the roses, it's really nice.

Enjoy your trips

ean

Free Member
Apr 17, 2010
Funster No
remap???!!!!!!!!!!

:Hi i have a 2.8 JTD CI 181G. I had it remapped for more torque and economy I`ve now got the power BUT the economy NO ,the first remap gave it 160 BHP went like the wind even against it BUT fully loaded including a scooter in the back it returned 15 MPG at 70 mph on motorway against a head wind , also experienced Clutch slip on occasion, had it decreased in power to approx 140 bhp so pulls well BUT consumption still about 18/20 mpg if i`m realy nice to it and the wind is good i`ve had 24mpg. I`m NOW looking at the LOWRISE option and a smaller capacity engine BUT BEWARE of the 2.3 six speed fiats as they have A BIG PROBLEM WITH REVERSE GEAR especially if you live on a hill like me. I hope this has been of use to you Rofl1:
Hi Phililp,
We have a Fiat 2.8 JTD and it is returning about 20mpg.
I have been advised to have the engine re-mapped rather than waste the money buying one of the magnet thingies that are exhibited at MH shows.

A correspondent on MH List told me the following:
"One of the main reasons for poor fuel consumption on modern vehicles
is due to the mapping in the vehicle ecu.Irrespective of where the
vehicle is sold in the world market there is one map for example fiat
2.8 jtd which is manufactured for the engine to run on the worst
possible grade fuel like in some african countries.To make the engine
run on poor garde fuel the engine is detuned.The best way to overcome
this is to have the engine remapped,by doing this all the
imperfections are removed from the map giving 3 benefits upto 35%
more torque and bhp and approx 10% better fuel economy.
espondent on MHList told me the following:"

If any member can advise if they have had re-mapping carried out and the benefits I would be very gratefull.
Rgds,
VanSudge

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
my cruising speed is 90Km in my A class hymer with 2.8idTD 8140 engine [ same as the JTD but with injector pump instead ] most of europe has that speed limit on ordinary roads [ now 80Km for over 3,500 Kg in france at least ..be warned , gendarmerie have been instructed to enforce from this summer , no more warnings , don't know about fines for no stickers though ]
this uses 30mpg unless I hit the mountains
motorway at 100Km 28mpg
but what really impressed me was that last summer I spent 2 weeks in and around central london , didn't know where 4th and 5th gears were after that ....23mpg !

sprinterguitar

Free Member
Sep 17, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
MPG

Hi There,
I have a Mercedes Sprinter 316CDI kentucky Estro7. I travel with 2 adults and 2 children, two motorcycles in garage including tools and spares. Normally travel between 70-75 mph and we average 24mpg on motorways, and driving within the speed limits on non motorways about 28mpg.
The motorhome would cruise at 80+ mph, but the fuel consumpion is reflected dramatically.
Regards Sprinterguitar

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I have a Fiat 2.5 tdi /Aurotrail Scout
I have not got a clue what it burns, i just fill it up :thumb:

Does this mean i am a ideal candidate for a RV ? :Eeek:

I keep looking at the RV ads :whatthe:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I have a Fiat 2.5 tdi /Aurotrail Scout
I have not got a clue what it burns, i just fill it up :thumb:

Does this mean i am a ideal candidate for a RV ? :Eeek:

I keep looking at the RV ads :whatthe:

I wouldnt mind an RV either. I dont think I will get one but I can certainly see the attraction.

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I wouldnt mind an RV either. I dont think I will get one but I can certainly see the attraction.

I think the only way to scratch the itch, is to hire one for a weekend and see if i can go to places where i go now with mine.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
My RV does 50 mpg!.....................................................well if some are telling porkies, I may as well.

Craig

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
MPG question

I can beat you all, my Bolero does 99.99mpg downhill according to my computer.!!:thumb:

Microchip

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2005
To be honest? My 2005 Hymer B584 2.8 JTD would do 29.3 mph on a long run, eg Italy and France, that was 2 years ago. Thinking I could get better I had it remapped for "towing" and that was a mistake, now it returned 22.7 over 3600 miles I contacted the company and had it redone with a less powerful mapping.
Now I'm getting 26.82 over 1698 miles on a recent Germany trip, so back to the company to try to get it back to the original.
Watch this Space:winky:

Keith.

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
I get about 20 mpg out of a Iveco which has standard 175bhp 3000cc engine, its a big box but happy with that, I can tow 3 tons but have just had a 2 ton trailer ( car ) on it and it went down to 17 /18.
Foe me having the right vehicle and layout takes precedence over a few miles per gallon and we do use it a lot, in the current year we will have traveled about 5000 miles.

The Brian James trailer I use I bought off Bob, he left all the extra's on and I did not leave him a £500 deposit :thumb:

Great Site

Dave

camper

Free Member
Oct 5, 2011
England
Funster No
MH
VW T5 campervan
Exp
mpg

A bit depressing, isn't it?
Just in case it's any consolation my Rover75 2litre which I traded in when I bought my campervan did about 22mpg urban and 30 at best on very steady motorway driving.My T5 does about 40mpg at a steady which is a fantasic improvement but I need more space so will have to upsize.
How available is the LPG option although no doubt this govnt will soon try to push it up to diesel prices-ssh!

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
15 mpg

Our Fleetwood Flair weighs in at about 7 tonnes and has the Chevy 6.5 TD engine giving 190 BHP. We used to get about 15 MPG from our previous RV (measured over an extended trip in France last year) however this RV spends soooooooo much time in Travelworlds workshop that it is difficult to really know precise figures.
I did check it on one trip that we managed to actually make and found that the consumption was about 6 MPG (even though the brakes were definately not binding, were they Simon???) but we cannot tell you about fuel consumption at speeds over 55 MPH because it will not go faster than that unless you go downhill.
I fully intend to check this once we get the RV back from the Dark Star at Telford.

Keith

We get 15 mpg on our RV even with a fully loaded car trailer on the back.

We have measured it over 4 years and includes the use of the 4 KW genny over weekends so I suspect we are getting better than 15 mpg...

I tend to drive at 55 mph .. the only time I have seen in drop below was going through the Tarn Gouge in France pulling a car trailer.. but then they are very steep hills and we passed the off euro box struggling ....

OK it is only 23' something... 45' with the trailer.. but so much comfort

Bob

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
We get 15 mpg on our RV even with a fully loaded car trailer on the back.

We have measured it over 4 years and includes the use of the 4 KW genny over weekends so I suspect we are getting better than 15 mpg...

I tend to drive at 55 mph .. the only time I have seen in drop below was going through the Tarn Gouge in France pulling a car trailer.. but then they are very steep hills and we passed the off euro box struggling ....

OK it is only 23' something... 45' with the trailer.. but so much comfort

Bob

This RV keeps on shouting at me-- (buy me)--
Is there a link for more pictures for me to torment myself over?

bfb

Free Member
Jun 25, 2012
Aldershot
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Fuel Economy

Hi.
I 've been doing some calculations for my m/home which is a Hymer BM640 Starline Maximum weight 3.5 tonnes with a Mercedes 2.8 5 cylinder Turbo Diesel engine. At a steady 55-60 mph I get 27mpg and if taken to 70mph this then drops to about 25mph. The vehicle is a 1998 version and the engine has 43000 miles on the clock with no modifications. I went for this because the power to weight ratio and the type of engine I deem to be the best for this type and weight of body.
Sorry to hear of your low mpg. Have you calculated this from fill to fill dividing the mileage by the fuel actually used or are you reading off from an on board computer? They can be very innacurate at times

Regards

Martin

talaris

Free Member
Aug 17, 2012
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class Dethleffs
Exp
since 2011
29 foot, 3 litre fiat 5000 kg payload and are short of that but get around 26mpg on a run.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
as per my previous post on page 1 regarding my 2.8 kontiki.

my current RV has 4000 CC's more....it weighs 3700kg more...it has a 30% bigger frontal area....it has 2 more friction inducing wheels....it has around 180bhp more....

yet it still returns 10mpg (8mpg on LPG) at 55mph.

physical size (wind resistance), speed (drag) and power (the ability to overcome the previous two) are all relevant to fuel consumption...as is driving style.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Hope this doesn't bring a tear to your eye......I have just filled up for $3.9per gal
Little wonder I have seen so many RVs on the road today.::bigsmile:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Ours is 7.4m long @ 3.7 ton "A Class" Rapido 9090DF on a Fiat 2.3 ..130 multijet...as it left Fiat factory untouched or altered....25mpg motorway.....28mpg local...runs and drives dream and pulls like a train...
The motorhome before the Rapido was a Mclouis 6’9m @3.5 ton on a Fiat (same engine as the Rapido) 2.3..130 multijet as it left the factory untouched or altered….28mpg motorway…32mpg local:thumb::thumb:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Fiat 1.9 tdi anywhere tween 22mpg to 29 mpg depends how it's driven, heavy foot, hurry hurry got to catch that joker ahead, must be first in queue, or around the west country lanes, 22,:Doh:

OR, Hey Man! Peace and Love Man Whats the hurry Dude, LOOK at THAT Sunset, 29:winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back