Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Hi,
Not sure where to raise this question, so I thought I would raise it here and see how I get on.
I've just calculated my fuel consumption for a Fiat 2.0 JTD engine pulling a 2.1/2 ton Motorhome, Mclouis Lagan 410 and I’m getting 23.8 MPG. This is based on motorway driving conditions with an average speed of 60 MPH and the rev counter around 2500 revs. I could easily increase my speed but I’m certain my fuel economy would suffer badly. I've thrashed it before over 50 miles or so, to find I was only getting 18 MPG.
I have recently had the ECU Chipped which has improved the smoothness and pulling power quite considerably, especially when going up hills.

My Motorhome is at the lower end of the market and compared to some of the monster we see on the road and I can’t help wondering how others find their fuel consumption. Our MH is only 3 years old so I think it will be reasonably fuel efficient and would be interested to know how other users get on. Oddly enough whenever I talk to dealers and the subject of fuel consumption is raised they appear to be a little evasive in their response.

Anyway, I would be interested to know if I’m doing as well as or better than other owners. Are last years models giving good fuel returns, I’d be interested to know.

All The best,
Philip.

S

stagman

Deleted User
Hi,
Not sure where to raise this question, so I thought I would raise it here and see how I get on.
I've just calculated my fuel consumption for a Fiat 2.0 JTD engine pulling a 2.1/2 ton Motorhome, Mclouis Lagan 410 and I’m getting 23.8 MPG. This is based on motorway driving conditions with an average speed of 60 MPH and the rev counter around 2500 revs. I could easily increase my speed but I’m certain my fuel economy would suffer badly. I've thrashed it before over 50 miles or so, to find I was only getting 18 MPG.
I have recently had the ECU Chipped which has improved the smoothness and pulling power quite considerably, especially when going up hills.

My Motorhome is at the lower end of the market and compared to some of the monster we see on the road and I can’t help wondering how others find their fuel consumption. Our MH is only 3 years old so I think it will be reasonably fuel efficient and would be interested to know how other users get on. Oddly enough whenever I talk to dealers and the subject of fuel consumption is raised they appear to be a little evasive in their response.

Anyway, I would be interested to know if I’m doing as well as or better than other owners. Are last years models giving good fuel returns, I’d be interested to know.

All The best,
Philip.

Fitted a Steinbauer P box to mine, www. steinbauer.cc around 28mpg on my Fiat 2.8,far better pulling power especially on the hills,brilliant I think and would recommend it,

Kell

Free Member
Sep 9, 2007
Dorset
Funster No
Hi Philip
My van is essentially designed as a working van. It's a '98' 2.8 turbo diesel Iveco panel van conversion. We weigh in at about 3.3 ton fully loaded for a trip.
On a recent trip down through France and into Spain, mainly on motorway class roads, we averaged 27 mpg if we stayed at about 2500 rpm which gave us about 60 mph, but that dropped to 24 mpg if we did a lot of 70 mph (over 3000 rpm).
Over the whole trip, including climbing up through Andorra from the Spanish side and a fair bit of 'sauntering' about off the major routes, we averaged around 25 mpg.
Cheers.
John.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

drs

Free Member
Oct 13, 2007
Ware, Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Hi I have an Autoquest 140 with the peugot 2.2 100 engine this returns
50mph 33mpg
60mph 28mpg
70mph 23mpg
This vehicle has a trip computer fitted this has made no end of difference to the way I drive as I can now see my money disappearing out of the exhaust.
My previous vehicle was a Swift Sundance 500 Fiat 1.9TD this returned 23mpg on average.
Before that was a VW T25 1.9 petrol which returned 25mpg .

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
my 2.8tdi returns around 26mpg at most 'normal' speeds. 50>60mpg A roads(always accelerating/decelerating), 70mph motorways (constant speed)

john.

RichardnGill

Free Member
Sep 22, 2007
Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Our Hymer is on a Tranist 2.2. 130 BHP. It has never done less than 26MPG in over 4000 miles since new. If I keep below 60 Mph (2,100RPM) it can get 30MPG if its not windy.

Richard...

Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Our Fleetwood Flair weighs in at about 7 tonnes and has the Chevy 6.5 TD engine giving 190 BHP. We used to get about 15 MPG from our previous RV (measured over an extended trip in France last year) however this RV spends soooooooo much time in Travelworlds workshop that it is difficult to really know precise figures.
I did check it on one trip that we managed to actually make and found that the consumption was about 6 MPG (even though the brakes were definately not binding, were they Simon???) but we cannot tell you about fuel consumption at speeds over 55 MPH because it will not go faster than that unless you go downhill.
I fully intend to check this once we get the RV back from the Dark Star at Telford.

Keith

R

Rainbow

Deleted User
Our 2.8tdi, 20 foot, C-class Hymer does an average of 28mpg.

Jean

V

vansmudge

Deleted User
Engine re-mapping for fuel consumption improvement

Hi,

All The best,
Philip.

Hi Phililp,
We have a Fiat 2.8 JTD and it is returning about 20mpg.
I have been advised to have the engine re-mapped rather than waste the money buying one of the magnet thingies that are exhibited at MH shows.

A correspondent on MH List told me the following:
"One of the main reasons for poor fuel consumption on modern vehicles
is due to the mapping in the vehicle ecu.Irrespective of where the
vehicle is sold in the world market there is one map for example fiat
2.8 jtd which is manufactured for the engine to run on the worst
possible grade fuel like in some african countries.To make the engine
run on poor garde fuel the engine is detuned.The best way to overcome
this is to have the engine remapped,by doing this all the
imperfections are removed from the map giving 3 benefits upto 35%
more torque and bhp and approx 10% better fuel economy.
espondent on MHList told me the following:"

If any member can advise if they have had re-mapping carried out and the benefits I would be very gratefull.
Rgds,
VanSudge

Dec 4, 2007
worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago
Exp
20 years
Our Fleetwood Flair weighs in at about 7 tonnes and has the Chevy 6.5 TD engine giving 190 BHP. We used to get about 15 MPG from our previous RV (measured over an extended trip in France last year) however this RV spends soooooooo much time in Travelworlds workshop that it is difficult to really know precise figures.
I did check it on one trip that we managed to actually make and found that the consumption was about 6 MPG (even though the brakes were definately not binding, were they Simon???) but we cannot tell you about fuel consumption at speeds over 55 MPH because it will not go faster than that unless you go downhill.
I fully intend to check this once we get the RV back from the Dark Star at Telford.

Keith

Hi Keith your Flair shoud do about 14-15 so there must a problem my winnie does more towing a car keeps my speed down to about 55mph, have a word with Dave west mids he could tune the engine
Paul

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
My RV always tows and does around 7 to 8 mpg and it's a V8 7500cc ford engine and probably about 8 tons loaded like this.

Since its been converted to LPG and is set very rich so poor mpg for the 1st thousand miles which it's now done will be re tuned and should get even better mpg on gas and it's already match the petrol figures so should improve.

I cruise at 60 mpg to save being in the constant stream of lorry and hate being passed by some for miles on end so an extra 5 mph solves this and seems to be the engines sweet spot.

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I was extreamly impressed with my RVs MPG untill i made a fatal error

I started the engine!!!!!!!!!:ROFLMAO:
Geo

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
I get about 15ish at a steady 60ishmph but that drops to about 10-12 if we take it up to 90mph :Eeek:(yes it will do 90 but its a bit scary!!!:Doh:)

Towing our 2 ton jeep on an a frame (lets not go there shall we :ROFLMAO:) we get about 12ish at a steady 60ish mph.

Guess thats what you get from V10 Triton lugging just short of 5 tonnes around.

To be honest I think the mpg is pretty good compared to the Euromobiles and all the comforts that you get with an RV. If i was getting less than 20mpg and living in a shoebox id be pretty cheesed off :Angry:

However my opinion might change when we are all paying £2.00 per litre :Eeek::cry:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi I posted this on the dark side

now for my twopenerf,the only way to check your mileage is to brim the tank until you see the fuel-do your journey then brim again, then calculate your fuel usage.The use of computers do not give acurate figures !Motorways will make a big difference.
example older vi6 2.9 tranny just running around 15/16 mpg on a run to the coast etc 19/20.5 mpg
present iveco 2.8 td returned 30/31 mpg with running around-fitted a roof box now 26/27 mpg also knocked about 10 mph off top speed.Over the last 30 yrs I have drove / continue to drive all kinds of vans-work etc,and as a general average found the following driven more or less in the same maner
petrol luton 16 /20 mpg
diesil luton22/24 mpg
petrol low profile /hi roof type 24/27 mpg
diesil low profile/hi roof type 27/31 mpg
the only exception to these figures I have found was trannys - petrols 22/24 mpg and diesils 27 mpg no matter how hard i drove them-slower or faster never seamed to make a difference having said that I found you had to thrash them to go anywhere at reasonable pace The other thing I see is that RVs all do 24 mpg :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:(when people are selling them ):thumb:
I do have quite a heavy rt foot
terry

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Hi VanSudge,
Thanks for your reply, my advice on engine remapping is to make sure you use a reputable firm and understand what you’re going to get in return.
I paid a lot of money to get my engine mapped and the recommendation on who to use was by word of mouth, which in my view is the best kind.
I was told that the real benefits of remapping are made by fleet company's who have lots of Trucks and can increase the power output from their engines considerably and save thousands of pounds as apposed to buying a larger engine. (If that makes sense!)

The Chap I dealt with was great and gave it to me straight; I would get a substantial increase in Torque and would notice the improvement by way of increased smoothness and better pulling power, especially when going uphill. He reckons i would get between 2-4 miles a gallon better fuel economy for the same style of driving. So, if it's just fuel economy you’re looking for don’t expect a huge improvement.
Basically what happened in my case was that a lap top was connected to my ECU through a port and copied the mapping on my ECH which was then emailed to Denmark where the map was re-written and sent back which was then downloaded onto my ECU and a check made to ensure it had been successfully embedded in the ECU. Job Done! A short drive confirmed everything had gone well.

I've noticed a big increase in the pulling power and i suspect I could improve my MPG by reducing my speed a little further and improving my braking performance.
Generally, I’m satisfied with what i have received and believe I will recover the money spent over the next few years.

I’m grateful to all who have replied, so far and it looks like fuel consumption varies a lot but is averaging around 26 MPG or so with some getting better and some getting worse. However, 6 miles to the gallon is frightening, when I was in the Army many years ago I commanded a British Army main battle tank and I think we were getting better than that when on roads! At today’s prices I just could not afford to run a vehicle with that consumption.

Anyway, thanks to one and all for your replies, it’s been interesting to say the least!

Regards,
Philip.

L

les1

Deleted User
mpg

I have been to the Wirrel caravan club site a round trip of 130 miles on the A41 and the M53. My vehicle is a Chausson welcome 50 2004 model It has the 2.2 jtd engine kept revs to around 2000rpm around 56 to 60 mph and achieved 32 mpg

les1

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Why don't the manufacturers map/tune them to the best performance in the first place?:Confused::Confused:

RichardnGill

Free Member
Sep 22, 2007
Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why don't the manufacturers map/tune them to the best performance in the first place

I think it is somethink to do with fuel grades. A standard engen will run on any old Derv, where as a mapped one will need a good standard of fuel.

Richard...

boosters

Free Member
Jan 16, 2008
cambridgeshire
Funster No
Good advice to speak to customers first hand about remapping as there are some companies offering cheap prices and just purchasing a 3rd hand map on the internet from anywhere in the world which is probably just a percentage increase on your existing map and not even designed for the motorhome market.All modifications done by boosters are in house manufactured by our own engineers and extensively tested by road and rolling road testing and tailored to exactly what the customer requires.If anybody would like contact no,s to speak to customers who have already had there vehicle remapped please contact me.Also we attend most of the motorhome shows and can carry out the work on site.
What you are putting into your ecu determines the way the engine runs,do not save a penny to cost you thousands.
Regards
Alex

dopeyngrumpy

Free Member
Apr 30, 2008
Funster No
Hi

Thought I'd ask on this thread - I know a trip computer makes a huge difference - well it does to me - on MPG - anyone know of a good aftermarket solution for a Mercedes Sprinter based M/Home?

Thanks

David

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Its difficult to calaculate really accuratley but I reckon I'm getting about 12/13 MPG.

I have a Ford E450 Super Duty 6.8L, V10.

Wish I was getting what you are

Jim :cry:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Its difficult to calaculate really accuratley but I reckon I'm getting about 12/13 MPG.

I have a Ford E450 Super Duty 6.8L, V10.

Wish I was getting what you are

Jim :cry:

Dont be sad Jim :Eeek: just look on the other side of fence and think of all the creature comforts you are getting with your 12-13mpg. Im sure a lot of folks on here would trade a few MPG for more actual living space bigger payload and equipment. :winky:

And anyway on a pure power to weight ratio your RV is 1.5 times more efficient than any of the Euro builts and has the capacity to tow anything anywhere without killing the engine/gearbox :thumb:

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
The on board computer in our A class diesel pusher when set to instantaneous readout showed 245 mpg:Eeek:

Oh sorry that was going down a long hill:Blush: and 4 mpg when assending the same hill:roflmto:

On average I think we do 10-12 mpg and that's a 39ft RV 11 ton plus towing 1.9 ton Jeep.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Dont be sad Jim :Eeek: just look on the other side of fence and think of all the creature comforts you are getting with your 12-13mpg. Im sure a lot of folks on here would trade a few MPG for more actual living space bigger payload and equipment. :winky:

And anyway on a pure power to weight ratio your RV is 1.5 times more efficient than any of the Euro builts and has the capacity to tow anything anywhere without killing the engine/gearbox :thumb:

Hey Dazzer, thats made my day :RollEyes:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi

Thought I'd ask on this thread - I know a trip computer makes a huge difference - well it does to me - on MPG - anyone know of a good aftermarket solution for a Mercedes Sprinter based M/Home?

Thanks

David

Hi Dave

Whats a trip computer. Is it a device that I can buy and fit or have fitted that gives me MPG etc etc.

Jim

dopeyngrumpy

Free Member
Apr 30, 2008
Funster No
Hi Jim

Yes, it is - usually gives an average and an instant reading, along with time travelled and sometimes how much range left in the tank.

David

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Hi,

We've had our Bessacarr E560, with a 130 multijet, for about 4500 miles and now she is run in I believe we get 25/26 mpg cruising at 70 mph, depends on the wind really, and I can get 34mpg on trunk roads sitting around 50/55 mph. I am really pleased with this performance as when towing a caravan in a previous life I was lucky to get 22 mpg or 32 mpg solo.

The trip computer is surprisingly accurate and does help you to economise.

Rgds
Bill:Smile::Smile::Smile::Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back