Front Passenger seats

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by normanandsue, Mar 25, 2012.

1. normanandsue

normanandsue Funster

Is this a personal problem or do others share it? When I sit in the front passenger seat in my mh my eyeline is level with the middle of the sun visor, which means I have to bend my neck to see any distance in front of the vehicle. I thought it was a problem confined to my current mh but as I have looked at other mhs it often seems worse.
    It is not a problem on the drivers seat as this seems to be set lower, although my eyeline is still high, about an inch or two below the top of the windscreen it is only a problem on rainy days as the wipers don't clear this area.
    If you have ever had this problem and found a solution I would be grateful if you would share it with me.

Many thnaks

Norman

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Hi Norman .. do you have swivel seats ? If so that is why they seats are a couple of inches higher than normal..

I haven't done this, but read about others having the seat mounting boxes cut down to reduce the height.

3. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

now mind was the other way

Despite being 6'1" tall mine was the other way round.. The Ford E350/E450 chassis has the seats to low.. I had to have booster rails fitted both sides.

But Jim makes a good point.. the normal van chassis you have was never intended for a swivel seat and the added height was not considered.

That or you are a very tall person.:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

Bob

4. aba

aba

hi norman.
    you could always try to source a longer wiper blade to help but you may have to fit a shorter one to the passenger side so they don't collide with each other.

5. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi Norman on our current van I simply cut and welded the base by a couple of inches :thumb: Very posh swivels that are above £400 each :Eeek: good job they came from the back of the ambulance :BigGrin:
    terry

6. madbluemad

madbluemad

Mines an E450 Super Duty and the seats are far to low. I have to use cushions under my bum :Eek!:
    Jim
    :Laughing:

7. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

We had this issue on a previous van, with me being 6ft 4 and SWMBO 5ft2 both had problems with the seats

I was looking at the sun visor and had to stoop forwards to see the road ahead properly. She had to have a block of wood on the passenger side as her feet didnt reach the floor comfortably.

As mentioned, you can have the seat frame re-engineered a couple of inches lower or alternatively buy ready made replacement boxes that double up as a safe. The only major issue with doing this is if your leisure battery is mounted below the seat, as you may no longer have the height to do this

fitting a longer wiper is a good compromise and of course far cheaper whilst you consider the problem

8. Mr Colpot

Mr Colpot Funster

We had a similar issue - the cab blind runners made it worse for us. I didnt notice it until Mrs Colpot mentioned it and then I noticed I was leaning forward as I drove. We solved it by buying an A Class (obviously this option is not available to everyone)

9. Terry

Terry Funster

That's as good a excuse as I have ever heard for changing the van :BigGrin: Can you have a word with my other half ? I have a lot better excuses but she don't listen :Wink:
    terry