France Fuel Restrictions

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by Jim, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Jim

Jim Ringleader

With the rationing happening at the moment, I'm glad I am not trying to get around France in the RV. Some forecourts are rationing fills to 20L only. That would get me about 40 miles if I drove carefully :Smile: Any Funsters stuck over there and low on fuel?

I'm so unlucky - whenever I'm in France I am always hoping for something like this, a good strike or a blockade of the ports, any excuse to extend a stay, nothing:Sad::Laughing:

2. yodeli

yodeli Funster Life Member

Hi Jim

Yes Dougcusmikey was stuck there yesterday up to this morning. I could then indicate to him where he could find gazole and 15minutes later....tank filled up!:thumb::thumb:
    They are now near Bordeaux and already had the opportunity to fill up again and an hour ago we just tried to see which way was the best to have a chance to fill up the tank regularly.

He should give news soon!:BigGrin:

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::Smile:

3. 400ixl

400ixl Read Only Funster

Should be heading over on Friday night.

Not looking good :(

Mind you, should be able to reach Disney and back to Dover on a full tank. It would also be a week Wednesday when we return so hopefully it would be all over. Either that or they will be well and truly dry by then.

Could do without the hassle though.

4. MrJinks

MrJinks Read Only Funster

We have been lucky. Had no problems getting fuel but are now in Spain for 3 weeks so unless it goes on a long time will hopefully get back ok. Didn't see any problems although we were mostly on N & D roads travelling through rural areas.

5. yodeli

6. 400ixl

400ixl Read Only Funster

What is the legality on carrying diesel in a jerry can in France?

Thinking that storing 20 litres in one in the garage section may be the safety net for ensuring we don't have any problems should we not be able to find any next week.

7. yodeli

The law is very strict about it . You're only allowed 5litres for an emergency and the jerrican has to be full. It is considered to be more dangerous to carry a little bit of petrol in a jerrican as it will explode with the air (don't know the exact word for that, we say the petrol steam in french) in it than to carry a full one which will only burn.

Hope it helps!

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

8. 400ixl

400ixl Read Only Funster

Thank you.

Will get a 5 litre can then to have just in case.

Is plastic OK or does it need to be metal?

9. yodeli

I don't know but i guess plastic is alright as they sell plastic ones in petrol stations

Safe travel:Smile:

10. robinmclaren

robinmclaren Read Only Funster

off thursday

will fill at dover so should be plenty for disney and back , will fill enroute if possible just in case:thumb:

11. 400ixl

400ixl Read Only Funster

Thats our plan, jerry can just for extra comfort.

When are you heading down?

12. Ivys

Ivys Read Only Funster

It has to be metal or the right type of plastic (especially petrol). Diesel is more forgiving. Those green 5 litre cans you buy everywhere are OK for both.

At one stage I had a store of about 240 litres of petrol in 60 litre containers in Zimbabwe, plus another 200 litres of diesel. Many of our vehicles had 200 litre long range tanks. Siphoning became quite an art.

Rog

13. bigmillie

bigmillie Read Only Funster

Eurotunnel Regs re fuel in cans

The maximum safe allowable quantity of fuel (petrol or diesel) that can be carried in portable reserve containers on board the Eurotunnel shuttles, per vehicle

2 x Designed for use, fit for purpose Plastic 5 ltrs

or

2 x Designed for use, fit for purpose metal container 10 ltrs

NO MORE
    THAN
    A TOTAL OF
    20 LITRES

Customers who cannot meet these requirements will not be allowed to travel.

Customers are advised to ensure that the containers and quantities they carry are compliant with the relevant regulations in the countries that they intend to visit.

Charlie

14. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

Diesel in France

As Frankie said, she was a big help in finding some local station with diesel, Many thanks Frankie.

We are now back home in South Wales as OK Midnight Tue night, we decided that things were getting a little scary so we made a dirty dash from the Bordeaux / Toulouse road to St-Malo ferry starting Monday morning, 48 hours later home safe and sound.

On the way over night to St-Malo we passed dozens of 24 hour stations but the were closed and the lights were out, I had started with a full tank (380 miles) but needed to cover 430 miles to the ferry and it was not until I was down to the last 15 litres that we found a station open. I do hope JJ and Mel get over the Spanish border OK.

I feel that it might be best to stay out of France until this thing is finished, when we were Filling up there were a few incidence's that showed that panic was setting in with the locals long queues and the manager was refusing to let them fill their plastic containers, voices were raised and tempers bubbling.

I feel that I was lucky to get out and not get trapped over there and any way the weather was getting cold and I dont like the cold.

Doug...

15. yodeli

Hi Charlie!

This is eurotunnel reg .... what's the point as, as soon as you'll get on french territory you'll be outlaw!? I gave the french reg and it is the right one , i have checked on many different forums before giving the information. Mind you, each one acts as he wants, it is a personnal choice but don't get surprised if you're caught and fined:Doh::Wink:

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::Smile:

16. buttons

buttons Funster

That sounds scary :cry:my dinky toy motor home will get me from Dover to the Spanish border on one 80 litre tank without need of a top up in France.:Cool:

17. johng

johng Read Only Funster

Bonjour Frankie,
    I think 'Vapour' :thumb:

18. steveclecy

steveclecy Read Only Funster

I see Sarkozy has started to play hard ball with the strikers. (Here)

Steve

19. JJ

JJ Funster

I got €40 worth of diesel just now from the local Super U... only had to queue for ten minutes... At this station everyone was rationed to this amount...

JJ

PS. Jut read my friend Doug's post and I must say where I was everyone was very calm, patient and smiley... Maybe I will get taught a lesson later but, based on treating situations as you find them, all seems ok to me!!!!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  20. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Petrol steam = Petrol Vapour