Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
With the rationing happening at the moment, I'm glad I am not trying to get around France in the RV. Some forecourts are rationing fills to 20L only. That would get me about 40 miles if I drove carefully :Smile: Any Funsters stuck over there and low on fuel?

I'm so unlucky - whenever I'm in France I am always hoping for something like this, a good strike or a blockade of the ports, any excuse to extend a stay, nothing:Sad::roflmto:

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
With the rationing happening at the moment, I'm glad I am not trying to get around France in the RV. Some forecourts are rationing fills to 20L only. That would get me about 40 miles if I drove carefully :Smile: Any Funsters stuck over there and low on fuel?

I'm so unlucky - whenever I'm in France I am always hoping for something like this, a good strike or a blockade of the ports, any excuse to extend a stay, nothing:Sad::roflmto:

Hi Jim

Yes Dougcusmikey was stuck there yesterday up to this morning. I could then indicate to him where he could find gazole and 15minutes later....tank filled up!:thumb::thumb:
They are now near Bordeaux and already had the opportunity to fill up again and an hour ago we just tried to see which way was the best to have a chance to fill up the tank regularly.

He should give news soon!::bigsmile:

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::Smile:

400ixl

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt High
Exp
3 years
Should be heading over on Friday night.

Not looking good :(

Mind you, should be able to reach Disney and back to Dover on a full tank. It would also be a week Wednesday when we return so hopefully it would be all over. Either that or they will be well and truly dry by then.

Could do without the hassle though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
We have been lucky. Had no problems getting fuel but are now in Spain for 3 weeks so unless it goes on a long time will hopefully get back ok. Didn't see any problems although we were mostly on N & D roads travelling through rural areas.

400ixl

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt High
Exp
3 years
What is the legality on carrying diesel in a jerry can in France?

Thinking that storing 20 litres in one in the garage section may be the safety net for ensuring we don't have any problems should we not be able to find any next week.

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
What is the legality on carrying diesel in a jerry can in France?

Thinking that storing 20 litres in one in the garage section may be the safety net for ensuring we don't have any problems should we not be able to find any next week.

The law is very strict about it . You're only allowed 5litres for an emergency and the jerrican has to be full. It is considered to be more dangerous to carry a little bit of petrol in a jerrican as it will explode with the air (don't know the exact word for that, we say the petrol steam in french) in it than to carry a full one which will only burn.

Hope it helps!

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

400ixl

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt High
Exp
3 years
Thank you.

Will get a 5 litre can then to have just in case.

Is plastic OK or does it need to be metal?

robinmclaren

Free Member
Feb 23, 2009
coventry , warwickshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
20+ if you include vw campers and the like
off thursday

will fill at dover so should be plenty for disney and back , will fill enroute if possible just in case:thumb:

Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Motorhoming since 2006, 30 years tent camping in Africa
Is plastic OK or does it need to be metal?

It has to be metal or the right type of plastic (especially petrol). Diesel is more forgiving. Those green 5 litre cans you buy everywhere are OK for both.

At one stage I had a store of about 240 litres of petrol in 60 litre containers in Zimbabwe, plus another 200 litres of diesel. Many of our vehicles had 200 litre long range tanks. Siphoning became quite an art.

Rog

bigmillie

Free Member
May 6, 2008
Camberley Surrey
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Classic C class
Exp
On/off since 1966
Eurotunnel Regs re fuel in cans

The maximum safe allowable quantity of fuel (petrol or diesel) that can be carried in portable reserve containers on board the Eurotunnel shuttles, per vehicle

2 x Designed for use, fit for purpose Plastic 5 ltrs

or

2 x Designed for use, fit for purpose metal container 10 ltrs

NO MORE
THAN
A TOTAL OF
20 LITRES

Customers who cannot meet these requirements will not be allowed to travel.

Customers are advised to ensure that the containers and quantities they carry are compliant with the relevant regulations in the countries that they intend to visit.

Charlie

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Diesel in France

As Frankie said, she was a big help in finding some local station with diesel, Many thanks Frankie.

We are now back home in South Wales as OK Midnight Tue night, we decided that things were getting a little scary so we made a dirty dash from the Bordeaux / Toulouse road to St-Malo ferry starting Monday morning, 48 hours later home safe and sound.

On the way over night to St-Malo we passed dozens of 24 hour stations but the were closed and the lights were out, I had started with a full tank (380 miles) but needed to cover 430 miles to the ferry and it was not until I was down to the last 15 litres that we found a station open. I do hope JJ and Mel get over the Spanish border OK.

I feel that it might be best to stay out of France until this thing is finished, when we were Filling up there were a few incidence's that showed that panic was setting in with the locals long queues and the manager was refusing to let them fill their plastic containers, voices were raised and tempers bubbling.

I feel that I was lucky to get out and not get trapped over there and any way the weather was getting cold and I dont like the cold.

Doug...

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Eurotunnel Regs re fuel in cans

The maximum safe allowable quantity of fuel (petrol or diesel) that can be carried in portable reserve containers on board the Eurotunnel shuttles, per vehicle

2 x Designed for use, fit for purpose Plastic 5 ltrs

or

2 x Designed for use, fit for purpose metal container 10 ltrs

NO MORE
THAN
A TOTAL OF
20 LITRES

Customers who cannot meet these requirements will not be allowed to travel.

Customers are advised to ensure that the containers and quantities they carry are compliant with the relevant regulations in the countries that they intend to visit.

Charlie

Hi Charlie!

This is eurotunnel reg .... what's the point as, as soon as you'll get on french territory you'll be outlaw!? I gave the french reg and it is the right one , i have checked on many different forums before giving the information. Mind you, each one acts as he wants, it is a personnal choice but don't get surprised if you're caught and fined:Doh::winky:

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::Smile:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I'm glad I am not trying to get around France in the RV. Some forecourts are rationing fills to 20L only. That would get me about 40 miles if I drove carefully :Smile:

That sounds scary :cry:my dinky toy motor home will get me from Dover to the Spanish border on one 80 litre tank without need of a top up in France.:Cool:

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
I see Sarkozy has started to play hard ball with the strikers. (Here)

Steve

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I got €40 worth of diesel just now from the local Super U... only had to queue for ten minutes... At this station everyone was rationed to this amount...

JJ

PS. Jut read my friend Doug's post and I must say where I was everyone was very calm, patient and smiley... Maybe I will get taught a lesson later but, based on treating situations as you find them, all seems ok to me!!!!

Last edited:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
My sister lives in Castillonnes just down below the Dordogne and yesterday said that there is no sign of fuel shortage down there, no restrictions and no queues.

Not much help if you are the other side of France.

Alan

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back