'Focused' on Shutter Priority today.... thank goodness for cropping! (1 Viewer)

Oct 20, 2014
Wicklow Town, Ireland
Funster No
MH
2020 Avantgarde 175
Exp
A good few years
Just purchased a Nikon DSLR D3300 with 18 - 105 lens. Still trying to get my head back into the different modes/aperture settings etc. My first ever SLR was a Practica MTL 5B.....very basic ( Russain I think? )....

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Morning all - we are off to India today, and I have to upset all you purists on here, but I'm pretty sure the dial will be set to 'P'! I might be a bit brave in the car and wind the shutter speed right up to freeze those unforgettable moments everyone tells me about with chicken coops on pushbikes etc...... (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Morning all - we are off to India today, and I have to upset all you purists on here, but I'm pretty sure the dial will be set to 'P'! I might be a bit brave in the car and wind the shutter speed right up to freeze those unforgettable moments everyone tells me about with chicken coops on pushbikes etc...... (y)
Don't worry about setting it to auto - for normal holiday "snaps" of the scenery it will be fine. :)

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Safe journeys enjoy India we are looking forward to all those lovely pics you will be taking xxxx

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
I have to say, that I use aperture priority so as to control depth of field, whch to my mind separates a point and shoot picture from one where the object is highlighted and extraneous features blurred.
I believe your camera wil allow you to use Aperture Priority and to also choose a shutter speed.
Having said all this, if you don't have time to compose and think about depth of filed etc, use the P or intelligent auto and at the very least, your picutres will be in fous and correcly exposed (most of the time).

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
I have to say, that I use aperture priority so as to control depth of field, whch to my mind separates a point and shoot picture from one where the object is highlighted and extraneous features blurred.
I believe your camera wil allow you to use Aperture Priority and to also choose a shutter speed.
Having said all this, if you don't have time to compose and think about depth of filed etc, use the P or intelligent auto and at the very least, your picutres will be in fous and correcly exposed (most of the time).
We went to India, and I used P for most of the photos and shutter speed priority for the shots out of the car - I was really happy with the result, and having found the Panoramic button on the last but one day, (wishing I had found it earlier) - am completely satisfied with the camera! (y)

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Glad you got it sorted. There is no right or wrong about it. Cameras nowadays are so sophisticated that you can leave it all to the camera or have total creative control yourself.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back