Flat starter battery

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by UK Pete, Apr 29, 2014.

1. UK Pete

UK Pete Read Only Funster

I went to Ilfracoombe at easter and stayed at Rogers site, after 4 days an alarm went off on my control panel telling me my starter battery was low so i tried to start the van and there was not quite enough to get it going, this struck me as odd as my recently upgraded solar and battery set up was really working well, and the lesuire batteries were full charge , and everthing in the van runs from them, after checking out what could be draining the battery i discovered that the webasto diesel heater its circulating pump and twin fan blower are all wired to the starter battery , so all the time i was enjoying my blown air heating , showers, and hot water i was draining my starter battery, so roger jump started my van , and after that i ran my engine for 15 mins a day utilising my sterling battery to battery charger, to keep it charged
    so here is the question, can anyone see any reasons not to just rewire it all to my lesuire battery bank, the reason i ask is why on earth would it of been wired to the starter batt in the first place?
    pete

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

rewire it....then the solar or hookup should keep on top of it leaving the engine battery to do its job, start the engine.

• Like Like x 1
  3. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

sounds an odd bit of wiring, so I agree with above, but I thought these B2B thingies would have sorted it for you, I was considering one myself but may not bother based on this

4. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

5. UK Pete

UK Pete Read Only Funster

The battery to battery chargers are great , but you need a charged starter battery to start the engine for it to do its magic,

6. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

My understanding was that a B2B would keep the starter battery topped up all the while the leisure was charged, effectively using what might be wasted solar charge

If that was the case for you I don't know why the starter battery failed when you had charged habitation batteries?

But still think a rewire will sort it properly

It does highlight a potential issue with 'modified' MHs, even those done by professionals, let alone enthusiastic amateurs, when sold on nobody really knows what has been done

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  7. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Sterling b2b charges the leisure battery from the alternator but at a much higher rate than would be acheived via a split charge relay.

You are thinking of the vanbitz battery master which does the opposite BUT, only trickle charges the engine battery at around 1amp max, and only when the leisure battery is fully charged

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014