Free Member
Jan 16, 2014
kent
Funster No
MH
Renault van conversion
Exp
on/off since 1991in campervanss
I went to Ilfracoombe at easter and stayed at Rogers site, after 4 days an alarm went off on my control panel telling me my starter battery was low so i tried to start the van and there was not quite enough to get it going, this struck me as odd as my recently upgraded solar and battery set up was really working well, and the lesuire batteries were full charge , and everthing in the van runs from them, after checking out what could be draining the battery i discovered that the webasto diesel heater its circulating pump and twin fan blower are all wired to the starter battery , so all the time i was enjoying my blown air heating , showers, and hot water i was draining my starter battery, so roger jump started my van , and after that i ran my engine for 15 mins a day utilising my sterling battery to battery charger, to keep it charged
so here is the question, can anyone see any reasons not to just rewire it all to my lesuire battery bank, the reason i ask is why on earth would it of been wired to the starter batt in the first place?
pete

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
sounds an odd bit of wiring, so I agree with above, but I thought these B2B thingies would have sorted it for you, I was considering one myself but may not bother based on this

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
UK Pete

UK Pete

Free Member
Jan 16, 2014
kent
Funster No
MH
Renault van conversion
Exp
on/off since 1991in campervanss
sounds an odd bit of wiring, so I agree with above, but I thought these B2B thingies would have sorted it for you, I was considering one myself but may not bother based on this

The battery to battery chargers are great , but you need a charged starter battery to start the engine for it to do its magic,

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
My understanding was that a B2B would keep the starter battery topped up all the while the leisure was charged, effectively using what might be wasted solar charge

If that was the case for you I don't know why the starter battery failed when you had charged habitation batteries?

But still think a rewire will sort it properly

It does highlight a potential issue with 'modified' MHs, even those done by professionals, let alone enthusiastic amateurs, when sold on nobody really knows what has been done

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
My understanding was that a B2B would keep the starter battery topped up all the while the leisure was charged, effectively using what might be wasted solar charge

If that was the case for you I don't know why the starter battery failed when you had charged habitation batteries?

But still think a rewire will sort it properly

It does highlight a potential issue with 'modified' MHs, even those done by professionals, let alone enthusiastic amateurs, when sold on nobody really knows what has been done

Sterling b2b charges the leisure battery from the alternator but at a much higher rate than would be acheived via a split charge relay.

You are thinking of the vanbitz battery master which does the opposite BUT, only trickle charges the engine battery at around 1amp max, and only when the leisure battery is fully charged

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back