First trip - France to portugal (1 Viewer)

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Just a quick update

All The Aires (North & South) ordered, Michelin road atlas of France ordered, and Rough Guide to France also ordered. I'll get the Spain and Portugal books after we return from our dip-our-feet-in-the-water trip to France in October.

So a couple more questions but I'll do a search first and if I can't find the answer I'll start a new thread.

Thank you for all your help, it is much appreciated.

KH

Thats all you need then you're good to go as they say.
Just don't forget your sense of humour.
Have fun (y)(y):)

SUE L

Free Member
May 11, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
HYMER EXSIS i
Exp
2 months
I used vicarious bookshop online and they have a load of books to help you on your way The Acsi has a lot going for it including maps I know you will find. Something on their site www.Vicarious-Shop.com
Enjoy your journey

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Can never understand why you would buy from Vicarious when you buy direct from ACSI,this year we have purchased the Camper Contact app which has proved great value for money being able to use it offline.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Can never understand why you would buy from Vicarious when you buy direct from ACSI,this year we have purchased the Camper Contact app which has proved great value for money being able to use it offline.
Vicarious usually have the books available before ACSI send theirs to direct clients.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
At a premium,no thanks.
What's the difference in price? I have checked We paid £14.44 delivered Vic books.
ACSI £13.55.
Can't buy much for a pound these days.

Last edited:

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We use camperstop has more Aires than all the Aires and it covers all of Europe it's also cheaper to order directly from camperstop, the app is useful

Joe

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
What's the difference in price? I have checked We paid £14.44 delivered Vic books.
ACSI £13.55.

Think you may find that's 13.55 = £10.85 at current rate.

We only paid about £9, but £/€ rate was much better (worse?) then.

But each to his own.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
On the other hand we never used toll roads when in Portugal. Yes some of the roads are bumpy and rough, but in other places you will find good quality "B roads" that are much smoother and wider than ours.
which ones ? Because I never found one!!

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
You may wish to reconsider the toll roads in Portugal, the non-tolled roads are poorly maintained, and the Portuguese are insane drivers. It is now fairly straight forward to register for the electronic SCUT tolls.
I would second those who are endorsing downloading POI's to your sat nav. We have a large database of airres on ours, so when we find a place we like, I just look for ones that are close by :D
Having left Portugal a few weeks ago I second that. The non toll roads are pretty awful, if the surface is not pot holed, the drains are collapsing or both. I used the toll roads to go through the mountains and when it was raining, as I did not fancy my chances in those conditions with cornflake packet licensed drivers, some of the worst roads in Europe and some of the worse maintained cars in Europe.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
ACSI £13.55.

Think I paid about £10.50 direct.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Having left Portugal a few weeks ago I second that. The non toll roads are pretty awful, if the surface is not pot holed, the drains are collapsing or both. I used the toll roads to go through the mountains and when it was raining, as I did not fancy my chances in those conditions with cornflake packet licensed drivers, some of the worst roads in Europe and some of the worse maintained cars in Europe.

Ta Ta,I love Portugal.:dance2:

Reactions: JJ
Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Not surprised.....like peas in a pod (y):hi5:

The country is nothing to do with the roads,it's about the people, the culture,history and landscape.If you don't like it,there are lots of other people that do.We came to Portugal 34 years ago on our honeymoon and liked the country and have visited it quite a number of times since.I don't know where you live in Glasgow or near there but I live in a high amenity area near to Glasgow and the roads aren't much better than here.One thing is certain,when I come here I enjoy it which you obviously didn't.Glad our paths didn't cross.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
The country is nothing to do with the roads,it's about the people, the culture,history and landscape.If you don't like it,there are lots of other people that do.We came to Portugal 34 years ago on our honeymoon and liked the country and have visited it quite a number of times since.I don't know where you live in Glasgow or near there but I live in a high amenity area near to Glasgow and the roads aren't much better than here.One thing is certain,when I come here I enjoy it which you obviously didn't.Glad our paths didn't cross.
I think you are making a LOT of assumptions.....but you knock yourself out mate, obviously being with miserable people suits you, miserable that is unless of course you are putting money in their hands....enjoy.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
I can only go on what you have previously posted and you come across as a grumpy,bitter individual that I would rather not meet,so here endeth this conversation.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
I can only go on what you have previously posted and you come across as a grumpy,bitter individual that I would rather not meet,so here endeth this conversation.
oh...so you are in charge of the thread now :clap2: bye bye

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
which ones ? Because I never found one!!
Well, now you know I never made an exact note of them, but then maybe we travelled different roads to you.

But from memory the 246 from Marvao to Elvas was good. And then there was the roads we took from Elvas towards Monsaraz, I think they were the 373 and 255. After that we had a bit of a rough ride of some of the IP2 as we headed south. But, again from memory it got better further South on the N2. And, again from memory, the roads in the far South West we took into and out of Sagres were pretty good too. Of course parts of the 125 through the Algarve were pretty rough, especially in the East, but it seemed to get better the further West we went.

Maybe we were just lucky?

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
If so probably better get one of these as well.

Just goes to show how prices can fluctuate. This is either a different item nowadays , bearing in mind the original post was last August or the seller is having a laugh at that price.Over £50 for a tap connector..no thanks.:LOL:

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Just goes to show how prices can fluctuate. This is either a different item nowadays , bearing in mind the original post was last August or the seller is having a laugh at that price.Over £50 for a tap connector..no thanks.:LOL:
Just noticed the price now, which I agree is absolutely daft. It wasn't that back in August last year when I recommended it!!

The problem is that most of the ones you get (like Hozelock) only have the two sizes - 1/2" and 3/4". The 3/4" one is the most common and I have never yet come across a tap with the 1/2" one. But some larger taps use 1" ones, and the adapter for that is more difficult to find, although you can buy it here. I may well buy one of those to add to my collection as I left one of my favourite ones on a tap somewhere in Italy.

Don't worry about buying imperial sizes for use in Europe - they seem to be universal as they have fitted all the tap threads that I have come across in France, Spain, Portugal and Italy.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
It would no doubt help others if anyone could point out the good roads !!!

A week or so ago, I travelled from Silves to Ansiao in my 1987 Hymer 660S on non toll roads. I don't drive more than 80 kph.

I went via Pego da Altar (Alçacer do Sal), Montemor, Coruche, Almerim and Tomar.

It was a total of around 425 kilometres.

With the exception of a couple of kilometres near Grandola where the underground tree roots give the road maintenance people real headaches, the road surfaces were more than adequate for smooth, comfortable travel. Many kilometres of road (eg Tomar to Ansiao) have been resurfaced within the last year or two.

When I was working, I used the toll motorways often and these are far, far, far better than those in Blighty and, out of rush hours, nearly empty. In 16 years I have never ever been stuck in motorway jams as you appear to get everyday in the UK.

Mr Campa Cola seems to have had a bad experience in Portugal and, obviously, won't be returning!

I am not sure exactly what these were and, frankly, I am not interested.

But, as he seems interested in me letting other Funsters know stuff, I would like to say I find Portugal to suit me perfectly... the rural areas (where I live) are charmingly shabby, and old fashioned, just as I remember England to be in the 50s.

The cities have their huge new shopping centres as well as their centuries old historical sections.

The weather is superb with the odd rainy times (like it is here now) but normally wall to wall, Man City Blue skies and sunshine.

But the main plus for me is the wonderful friendliness and helpful nature of the locals. Practically every time I have dealings with the Portuguese they go out of their way to help me out.

I could go on and on and on but my single typing finger is tired...

JJ :cool:

PS. There are quite a few beautiful, environment friendly, wind generators in small groups of two or three dotted around...

PPS. Mr Peterc10, the 125 in the Algarve has had large sections of it repaired (Faro to Portimao and onwards) since December and work continues to improve it all.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
A week or so ago, I travelled from Silves to Ansiao in my 1987 Hymer 660S on non toll roads. I don't drive more than 80 kph.

I went via Pego da Altar (Alçacer do Sal), Montemor, Coruche, Almerim and Tomar.

It was a total of around 425 kilometres.

With the exception of a couple of kilometres near Grandola where the underground tree roots give the road maintenance people real headaches, the road surfaces were more than adequate for smooth, comfortable travel. Many kilometres of road (eg Tomar to Ansiao) have been resurfaced within the last year or two.

When I was working, I used the toll motorways often and these are far, far, far better than those in Blighty and, out of rush hours, nearly empty. In 16 years I have never ever been stuck in motorway jams as you appear to get everyday in the UK.

Mr Campa Cola seems to have had a bad experience in Portugal and, obviously, won't be returning!

I am not sure exactly what these were and, frankly, I am not interested.

But, as he seems interested in me letting other Funsters know stuff, I would like to say I find Portugal to suit me perfectly... the rural areas (where I live) are charmingly shabby, and old fashioned, just as I remember England to be in the 50s.

The cities have their huge new shopping centres as well as their centuries old historical sections.

The weather is superb with the odd rainy times (like it is here now) but normally wall to wall, Man City Blue skies and sunshine.

But the main plus for me is the wonderful friendliness and helpful nature of the locals. Practically every time I have dealings with the Portuguese they go out of their way to help me out.

I could go on and on and on but my single typing finger is tired...

JJ :cool:

PS. There are quite a few beautiful, environment friendly, wind generators in small groups of two or three dotted around...

PPS. Mr Peterc10, the 125 in the Algarve has had large sections of it repaired (Faro to Portimao and onwards) since December and work continues to improve it all.
If I ever feel the need to find the rural Portuguese locals that don't run into houses and put their shutters down when we turn up I'll definitely ask you to show me some (y)
BTW the only toll motorway I have used in the UK (M6 toll) was the same, far far better than those in Portugal and empty.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back