First time to France

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by St piran, May 23, 2012.

1. St piran

St piran Read Only Funster

In two weeks we will be heading to France for the first time. We don't any speak French:Blush: should we take a phase book or electronic phaser or will we get by?
    Or is there anything you would recommend to help with the lingo?

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

welcome to the fun ..

have a good trip and don't worry about not speaking French .. most French are fluent in it :thumb: ...so, just shout loud and gesticulate ... as most Brits do abroad :Laughing:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

Have a great time....what part of France are you heading for, are you using Aires or campsites,.......

Don't worry about your French...... ...shop at supermarkets..just like the UK...pay at the till just like the Uk....in euros....where French may help you is when you have a problem, or when you are paying by card and the machine asks you a question before you can proceed.... e.g Diesel if you are using the 24/7 machines..... if you pay at the kiosk that is ok, you speak to a person,
    When using machines look to see if there is a button so it will speak or have the info in English before you start.....
    The French people do appreciate you if at least you try to speak French even though you may get it wrong...And don't forget if you have a problem you can always contact Frankie a lovely French lady in Toulouse (Yodeli is the name on MH fun)Frankie would gladly help you if at all possible.

And don't be afraid to ask a French person to help you when you have a problem they will all try and help you...When we are out and about we help many of the French Motorhomers out and they speak French,,, but when it comes to machines with the older generation it is sometimes just to much to take it in, and they are not used to the modern technical equipment that are being fitted to sites

Last edited: May 23, 2012
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Roryboys Dad

Roryboys Dad Read Only Funster

• Like Like x 2
  5. Heyupluv

That's true Roryboys dad ...they will think... I I.. another intoxicated Brit on tour already been on there wine:wine::beerchug::france::france::Rofl1::Rofl1:

6. vwalan

vwalan Funster

with a name like st piran make sure you have the st piran flag sticker on the vehicle . maybe you speak cornish if you do you can speak to the locals in brittany . if you are cornish and visiting brittany .remember you ARENT ENGLISH .AND THEY ARENT FRENCH. works wonders.
    but say bonjour and it works wonders .in the evening bonsoir . ber sounds the same in lots of languages . have fun . its great over there.

7. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

try to learn a few simple phrases...it will pay in the long run.

'where is xxxx please' = là où est xxxx, svp....'how much is this please' = combien, svp....can i have a beer/coffee please' = une bière/café svp

my understanding is if you at least try to speak French it will get a better response than not trying.

they may laugh a bit at pronunciation and accent but will appreciate you trying

• Like Like x 1
  8. yodeli

yodeli Funster Life Member

Bonsoir St Piran!

Allez... 1er exercice!

Bonjour ! Où est la gendarmerie SVP? (S'il Vous Plait) ..... je viens d'être gazé!:Laughing:

Bon... deuxième (2ème) exercice! Où est la boulangerie? je voudrais une baguette et 2 croissants (the lady : nature ou au beurre?) If you're normal you answer , au beurre... if you're scottish.... nature :Rofl1: (Sorry ScotJim .... didn't mean it :Blush:)

Don't you worry ... you'll manage ... just make a little effort and don't forget ... Merci !!!!!:thumb:

Amicalement

Frankie:Wink:

• Like Like x 3
  9. St piran

Yes I am a Cornishman but live in Northamptonshire. My parents still live in Kernow. I must get my Dad to send me a St Piran sticker for the motorhome.
    We are off to Brittany so will remember that they aren't French.

10. St piran

Campsite playing safe for first trip - St Cast Brittany.

11. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

Ce la vie !!

Bloody Hell, I could understand all that ! Obviously spending too much time in France !:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

12. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

If you take the electronic phaser, keep it set on 'stun' to avoid any international incidents ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Heyupluv

Yes a nice smile.......Try to speak to them, don't turn away and ignore them.

The French are lovely people in a lovely country....they are very friendly.

They are very family orientated..
    They eat together from baby to father/mother to grandfather/grandmother and older generation's if they are still with us, cousins, brothers, sisters uncles and aunts they all matter.
    The Food plays a big part in the French life.
    The wine is also very important to them...and I am not talking cheap plonk...
    Good food and good wine is what they will always offer you...even if they have very little to offer...they will always make you welcome,
    Don't be shocked if they ask you to come to there M/H for drinks, even if they have only just met you,
    They love to chat
    To socialize and to have there family and friends around to eat is also important...they will have 2 hours for dinner time at midday everyday.( you may be a lot longer at the table, if its Saturday or Sunday or holidays you may be sat at the table from 4 to10 hours)
    So you may find all the villages you pass through at that time of day deserted. (mid day)
    Leisure time this is also important.....motorhoming means a lot to the French people.

Church.

And the rest of life will carry on as it has always done in the past.

Understand all the above and you begin to understand the French people:thumb:

You will love it......

If you do have a problem and you can get on the internet...then go onto Google and use Google Translate as many others do......
    So have a good holiday....and I bet we will see you over again:thumb:

Mel

14. Heyupluv

Sorry I have not been to St Cast Brittany...
    We have only just come back 5 days ago from a month's tour of Brittany, sadly the weather was not to good but still enjoyed it.

Campsites are not for us......
    We use nothing but Aires....I have everything on board the Motorhome I require......and most of the Aires are in some lovely places....
    Look at my picasa link below, in every photo are many other photo's all aires, go onto full screen and have a look at them, a lot different to campsites,
    I have many more it is just finding time to upload...
    Have a look on JIMS French Aire site on the left hand side of MHF home page:thumb

Mel
    :

15. Heyupluv

When you get to the very west side of Brittany you may even think you are in Cornwall....very very similar...they speak Breton there own language:thumb:

16. Ridgeway

Ridgeway Funster

If you're looking to learn some French in the mid-long term which is a good idea if you plan regular vacations there, then I'd really recommend the Michel Thomas set of CD's. Really a nice way to learn and definitely not the usual language CD's, you'll learn the basics very fast indeed and Michel Thomas was famous for having taught celebrities to learn a language in weeks with his method. His story is an interesting one, worth a look.

• Like Like x 1
  17. vwalan

vwalan Funster

lots of airres in brittany possibly the most in close proximity in france.
    yes get a st piran sticker with cornwall on it . remember you will be in cornoueille possibly spelt that wrong. but its great over there. one of my favourite places is kerfissien just along from roscoff upon the coast before plouescat.park by the beach and a small pier. definately just like cornwall. used to spend alot of time around there when my kids were younger. used to get 5 day s away for 50quid return. could bring back fuel and ciggies and cover that easy . never mind cheap wine and beer.
    but you wont get bored in brittany its lovely .coast or inland . very friendly .nearly bought a place in plougonver a few years ago. but have fun ,you will i,m sure. .

18. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

True story

Many years ago my wife and I were travelling through France in a boat (canals from Calais to the Med) on a very tight budget. For dinner one day we went to the pattiserie, did the usual Brit thing and just pointed - un, deux.............and bought 2 sausage rolls and a meat pastie.:Smile:

Warmed up with mash peas and gravy - wife got the 2 chocolate pastries and mine was an apple filled 'pastie' - not quite the same covered in gravy:Laughing:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Heyupluv

Well Burstner you have just my wife and I rolling with laughter:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:.....when we read the first bit , We was to say the least MIFFED,:Eeek::Angry: as we have travelled all over France...AND NEVER SEEN OR PURCHASED sausage rolls and a meat pasties....WE HAVE TO MAKE OUR OWN!!:Doh:

But then we read on:BigGrin:.......to true it is...Apple and Chocolate is two of there favorite items.....

Mel

20. Ian37

Ian37 Funster

Don't worry about your French,we have just returned from a 2 week trip around france and had a great time, are first encounter with the language went something like this:Laughing:
    we parked up in Alencon in a tiny aire, and decided to walk to the supermarket .....could we find it nope,
    so we try to ask an old French man who was walking the opposite way:BigGrin:
    well that did'nt work i said to the wife so we carried on ...
    just down the road a car beeps and pull's up next to us,and out steps the old man,
    "oh dear i must have upset him one thinks"
    but no he just opens the back door and we are ushered in, 2 mins later were outside the supermarket,
    he gets out and is pointing to his watch and at the 6,
    ah we we they close in1/2 hr we thought
    but no, because when we walked out 1/2 hr later he was waiting to take us back :BigGrin: and all this with just sign language,
    what a lovely man, just like all the others we met.
    have a great time and just enjoy
    the funny thing was, we only went to stretch are legs :Rofl1:
    but did'nt have the word's to tell him....

• Like Like x 5