St Piran

Free Member
May 22, 2012
North Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero
Exp
In two weeks we will be heading to France for the first time. We don't any speak French:Blush: should we take a phase book or electronic phaser or will we get by?
Or is there anything you would recommend to help with the lingo?

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
In two weeks we will be heading to France for the first time. We don't any speak French:Blush: should we take a phase book or electronic phaser or will we get by?

Have a great time....what part of France are you heading for, are you using Aires or campsites,.......

Don't worry about your French...... ...shop at supermarkets..just like the UK...pay at the till just like the Uk....in euros....where French may help you is when you have a problem, or when you are paying by card and the machine asks you a question before you can proceed.... e.g Diesel if you are using the 24/7 machines..... if you pay at the kiosk that is ok, you speak to a person,
When using machines look to see if there is a button so it will speak or have the info in English before you start.....
The French people do appreciate you if at least you try to speak French even though you may get it wrong...And don't forget if you have a problem you can always contact Frankie a lovely French lady in Toulouse (Yodeli is the name on MH fun)Frankie would gladly help you if at all possible.

And don't be afraid to ask a French person to help you when you have a problem they will all try and help you...When we are out and about we help many of the French Motorhomers out and they speak French,,, but when it comes to machines with the older generation it is sometimes just to much to take it in, and they are not used to the modern technical equipment that are being fitted to sites

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
Take a dictionary such as Collins French Dictionary.

Learn a few French phrases ( www.french-at-a-touch.com/Words-Phrases/basic_phrases_links.htm ) that you'll need.

And print off this list of foods that you'll either buy in Supermarkets or order in restaurants.

Broken Link Removed

Do not shout or gesticulate as if you were a relative of Basil Fawlty - it will get you absolutely nowhere!

:france::france::france:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Take a dictionary such as Collins French Dictionary.

Learn a few French phrases ( www.french-at-a-touch.com/Words-Phrases/basic_phrases_links.htm ) that you'll need.

And print off this list of foods that you'll either buy in Supermarkets or order in restaurants.

Broken Link Removed

Do not shout or gesticulate as if you were a relative of Basil Fawlty - it will get you absolutely nowhere!

:france::france::france:

That's true Roryboys dad ...they will think... I I.. another intoxicated Brit on tour already been on there wine:wine::beerchug::france::france::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
with a name like st piran make sure you have the st piran flag sticker on the vehicle . maybe you speak cornish if you do you can speak to the locals in brittany . if you are cornish and visiting brittany .remember you ARENT ENGLISH .AND THEY ARENT FRENCH. works wonders.
but say bonjour and it works wonders .in the evening bonsoir . ber sounds the same in lots of languages . have fun . its great over there.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
try to learn a few simple phrases...it will pay in the long run.

'where is xxxx please' = là où est xxxx, svp....'how much is this please' = combien, svp....can i have a beer/coffee please' = une bière/café svp

my understanding is if you at least try to speak French it will get a better response than not trying.

they may laugh a bit at pronunciation and accent but will appreciate you trying

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Bonsoir St Piran!

Allez... 1er exercice!

Bonjour ! Où est la gendarmerie SVP? (S'il Vous Plait) ..... je viens d'être gazé!:roflmto:

Bon... deuxième (2ème) exercice! Où est la boulangerie? je voudrais une baguette et 2 croissants (the lady : nature ou au beurre?) If you're normal you answer , au beurre... if you're scottish.... nature :ROFLMAO: (Sorry ScotJim .... didn't mean it :Blush:)

Don't you worry ... you'll manage ... just make a little effort and don't forget ... Merci !!!!!:thumb:

Amicalement

Frankie:winky:

OP
OP
St Piran

St Piran

Free Member
May 22, 2012
North Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero
Exp
with a name like st piran make sure you have the st piran flag sticker on the vehicle . maybe you speak cornish if you do you can speak to the locals in brittany . if you are cornish and visiting brittany .remember you ARENT ENGLISH .AND THEY ARENT FRENCH. works wonders.
but say bonjour and it works wonders .in the evening bonsoir . ber sounds the same in lots of languages . have fun . its great over there.

Yes I am a Cornishman but live in Northamptonshire. My parents still live in Kernow. I must get my Dad to send me a St Piran sticker for the motorhome.
We are off to Brittany so will remember that they aren't French.

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Ce la vie !!

Bonsoir St Piran!

Allez... 1er exercice!

Bonjour ! Où est la gendarmerie SVP? (S'il Vous Plait) ..... je viens d'être gazé!:roflmto:

Bon... deuxième (2ème) exercice! Où est la boulangerie? je voudrais une baguette et 2 croissants (the lady : nature ou au beurre?) If you're normal you answer , au beurre... if you're scottish.... nature :ROFLMAO: (Sorry ScotJim .... didn't mean it :Blush:)

Don't you worry ... you'll manage ... just make a little effort and don't forget ... Merci !!!!!:thumb:

Amicalement

Bloody Hell, I could understand all that ! Obviously spending too much time in France !:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

Yes a nice smile.......Try to speak to them, don't turn away and ignore them.

The French are lovely people in a lovely country....they are very friendly.

They are very family orientated..
They eat together from baby to father/mother to grandfather/grandmother and older generation's if they are still with us, cousins, brothers, sisters uncles and aunts they all matter.
The Food plays a big part in the French life.
The wine is also very important to them...and I am not talking cheap plonk...
Good food and good wine is what they will always offer you...even if they have very little to offer...they will always make you welcome,
Don't be shocked if they ask you to come to there M/H for drinks, even if they have only just met you,
They love to chat
To socialize and to have there family and friends around to eat is also important...they will have 2 hours for dinner time at midday everyday.( you may be a lot longer at the table, if its Saturday or Sunday or holidays you may be sat at the table from 4 to10 hours)
So you may find all the villages you pass through at that time of day deserted. (mid day)
Leisure time this is also important.....motorhoming means a lot to the French people.

Church.

And the rest of life will carry on as it has always done in the past.

Understand all the above and you begin to understand the French people:thumb:

You will love it......

If you do have a problem and you can get on the internet...then go onto Google and use Google Translate as many others do......
So have a good holiday....and I bet we will see you over again:thumb:

Mel

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Campsite playing safe for first trip - St Cast Brittany.

Sorry I have not been to St Cast Brittany...
We have only just come back 5 days ago from a month's tour of Brittany, sadly the weather was not to good but still enjoyed it.

Campsites are not for us......
We use nothing but Aires....I have everything on board the Motorhome I require......and most of the Aires are in some lovely places....
Look at my picasa link below, in every photo are many other photo's all aires, go onto full screen and have a look at them, a lot different to campsites,
I have many more it is just finding time to upload...
Have a look on JIMS French Aire site on the left hand side of MHF home page:thumb

Mel
:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Yes I am a Cornishman but live in Northamptonshire. My parents still live in Kernow. I must get my Dad to send me a St Piran sticker for the motorhome.
We are off to Brittany so will remember that they aren't French.

When you get to the very west side of Brittany you may even think you are in Cornwall....very very similar...they speak Breton there own language:thumb:

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
If you're looking to learn some French in the mid-long term which is a good idea if you plan regular vacations there, then I'd really recommend the Michel Thomas set of CD's. Really a nice way to learn and definitely not the usual language CD's, you'll learn the basics very fast indeed and Michel Thomas was famous for having taught celebrities to learn a language in weeks with his method. His story is an interesting one, worth a look.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
lots of airres in brittany possibly the most in close proximity in france.
yes get a st piran sticker with cornwall on it . remember you will be in cornoueille possibly spelt that wrong. but its great over there. one of my favourite places is kerfissien just along from roscoff upon the coast before plouescat.park by the beach and a small pier. definately just like cornwall. used to spend alot of time around there when my kids were younger. used to get 5 day s away for 50quid return. could bring back fuel and ciggies and cover that easy . never mind cheap wine and beer.
but you wont get bored in brittany its lovely .coast or inland . very friendly .nearly bought a place in plougonver a few years ago. but have fun ,you will i,m sure. .

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
True story

Many years ago my wife and I were travelling through France in a boat (canals from Calais to the Med) on a very tight budget. For dinner one day we went to the pattiserie, did the usual Brit thing and just pointed - un, deux.............and bought 2 sausage rolls and a meat pastie.:Smile:

Warmed up with mash peas and gravy - wife got the 2 chocolate pastries and mine was an apple filled 'pastie' - not quite the same covered in gravy:roflmto:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Many years ago my wife and I were travelling through France in a boat (canals from Calais to the Med) on a very tight budget. For dinner one day we went to the pattiserie, did the usual Brit thing and just pointed - un, deux.............and bought 2 sausage rolls and a meat pastie.:Smile:

Warmed up with mash peas and gravy - wife got the 2 chocolate pastries and mine was an apple filled 'pastie' - not quite the same covered in gravy:roflmto:

Well Burstner you have just my wife and I rolling with laughter:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.....when we read the first bit , We was to say the least MIFFED,:Eeek::Angry: as we have travelled all over France...AND NEVER SEEN OR PURCHASED sausage rolls and a meat pasties....WE HAVE TO MAKE OUR OWN!!:Doh:

But then we read on::bigsmile:.......to true it is...Apple and Chocolate is two of there favorite items.....

Mel

Ian37

Free Member
Nov 5, 2011
london
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Don't worry about your French,we have just returned from a 2 week trip around france and had a great time, are first encounter with the language went something like this:roflmto:
we parked up in Alencon in a tiny aire, and decided to walk to the supermarket .....could we find it nope,
so we try to ask an old French man who was walking the opposite way::bigsmile:
well that did'nt work i said to the wife so we carried on ...
just down the road a car beeps and pull's up next to us,and out steps the old man,
"oh dear i must have upset him one thinks"
but no he just opens the back door and we are ushered in, 2 mins later were outside the supermarket,
he gets out and is pointing to his watch and at the 6,
ah we we they close in1/2 hr we thought
but no, because when we walked out 1/2 hr later he was waiting to take us back ::bigsmile: and all this with just sign language,
what a lovely man, just like all the others we met.
have a great time and just enjoy
the funny thing was, we only went to stretch are legs :ROFLMAO:
but did'nt have the word's to tell him....

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Don't worry about your French,we have just returned from a 2 week trip around france and had a great time, are first encounter with the language went something like this:roflmto:
we parked up in Alencon in a tiny aire, and decided to walk to the supermarket .....could we find it nope,
so we try to ask an old French man who was walking the opposite way::bigsmile:
well that did'nt work i said to the wife so we carried on ...
just down the road a car beeps and pull's up next to us,and out steps the old man,
"oh dear i must have upset him one thinks"
but no he just opens the back door and we are ushered in, 2 mins later were outside the supermarket,
he gets out and is pointing to his watch and at the 6,
ah we we they close in1/2 hr we thought
but no, because when we walked out 1/2 hr later he was waiting to take us back ::bigsmile: and all this with just sign language,
what a lovely man, just like all the others we met.
have a great time and just enjoy
the funny thing was, we only went to stretch are legs :ROFLMAO:
but did'nt have the word's to tell him....

I really love to read such stories ... It gives hope about the Human Race:Smile::Smile::Smile::Smile:.....And for once it is not about a dirty frenchy who has been washing his toilets putting the water tap right into it.... yukkkk:RollEyes::RollEyes:

Amicalement

Frankie:Cool:

BobProperty

Free Member
May 20, 2010
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
If you're looking to learn some French in the mid-long term which is a good idea if you plan regular vacations there, then I'd really recommend the Michel Thomas set of CD's. Really a nice way to learn and definitely not the usual language CD's, you'll learn the basics very fast indeed and Michel Thomas was famous for having taught celebrities to learn a language in weeks with his method. His story is an interesting one, worth a look.
I'd say this too, although more like "get by" or "get you started" than "learn a language". I think he did one to one sessions with people (celebrities) who could afford his intensive methods but the CD course is a good start. You can play it in the van on the way. :roflmto:
I think it's Michel Thomas who points out that 60% of the words in English are the same in French. I also think it is he who quotes Alexander Dumas as saying something like the English have all the (same) words but pronounce them wrong. (I'm sure Frankie will confirm this ::bigsmile:)
Michel Thomas website:
http://www.michelthomas.com/

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Bonsoir St Piran!

Allez... 1er exercice!

Amicalement

Pour Frankie!

Bonjour Frankie!

Comment ca va? What is this nonsense about Scots not wanting their croissants au beurre??:RollEyes::RollEyes:

We only buy the ones with butter, nothing else would be acceptable or even palatable:roflmto::roflmto:

I am looking forward to our next French lesson, it is a long time since I did French at school..............:thumb:

Le temps en Ecosse aujourdui........c'est tres belle et beaucoup du soleil:sin::sin:

Marguerite (en Ecosse)::bigsmile:

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Pour Frankie!

Bonjour Frankie!

Comment ca va? What is this nonsense about Scots not wanting their croissants au beurre??:RollEyes::RollEyes:

We only buy the ones with butter, nothing else would be acceptable or even palatable:roflmto::roflmto:

I am looking forward to our next French lesson, it is a long time since I did French at school..............:thumb:

Le temps en Ecosse aujourdui........c'est tres belle et beaucoup du soleil:sin::sin:

Marguerite (en Ecosse)::bigsmile:

:Rofl1::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: very sorry Marguerite ! It's the usual bad joke:Blush: about Scots being tight... croissants au beurre are supposed to be more expensive than the nature ones.

Alors Marguerite...; le temps est masculin .... donc le temps ( [STRIKE]C'[/STRIKE] )est BEAU pas belle!!!!et ..... il y a beaucoup DE soleil....but it is a good try. You get 7/10:thumb:

Frankie::bigsmile::winky:

BobProperty

Free Member
May 20, 2010
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
His course is good in theory and has a lot of good reviews, but by the time I got over the pain of listening to the guys false teeth click, I would fall asleep. :roflmto:
I would love to have met him or been taught by him in real life, face to face (but I didn't want to learn French 15+ years ago and I still don't have a spare £10,000 for the privilege). I have some of the courses and find it interesting and useful but it has been "forced" somewhat to create a course. The one I have has two students, an English male and an American sounding woman, the second of whom annoys me at times. I have to counter this by thinking of "Carry on" films or Finbarr Saunders with all the sentences she has to translate e.g. "It is not comfortable....for me....like that."

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Hello Frankie!

Merci bien! Bill and I did French at high school, he did 6 years and I did 4 years before "escaping" from school:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

We are both looking forward to trying out our "rusty" French when we go to Brittany later on in the summer. Thanks for correcting my mistakes, "I must try harder next time"!! But you know, 7 out of 10 is pretty good for me, from a French native like yourself:thumb:

I remember now about masculines and feminines, I think at school everyone used to start their story with, "C'etait une belle journee d'etait"!:roflmto:

Lovely to hear from you again, just going for mes croissants au beurre, mais bien sur, avec mon cafe!! OK, no laughing this time please, c'est tres mauvais!!!:roflmto: I could do with accents (grave and accute) on my keyboard et une cedille:thumb:

Margaret

Last edited:

BobProperty

Free Member
May 20, 2010
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
Accents are in the character set, you have to key them via using the ALT key plus the number in the character set. Press and hold ALT key then key in 4 digits, e.g.
ALT + 0233
This is é

0231 = ç
0232 = è
0233 = é
0234 = ê
0238 = î

so....avec mon café

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Accents are in the character set, you have to key them via using the ALT key plus the number in the character set. Press and hold ALT key then key in 4 digits, e.g.
ALT + 0233
This is é

0231 = ç
0232 = è
0233 = é
0234 = ê
0238 = î

so....avec mon café

you should try writing with my swiss german/french keyboard:cry: everything is there, sometimes I can even write in English.

Must admit cedille and umlauts drive me nuts, it's like asking a Bavarian to speak in English with a Scouse accent.....

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I use Text Expander on a mac so when I type Sian I get Siân automatically :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back