First things first!

Discussion in 'Solar Power' started by k1tty, Apr 16, 2009.

1. k1tty

k1tty Deleted User

I will be buying a good van soon and I want it to run off solar power. Could I have my heating, air con, shower, oven, fridge and anything else running off solar power or am I asking to much? How do I find somebody to fit it (and properly!) in the north west preferably!

2. vwalan

vwalan Funster

as you said first things first.. where do you get that much sun in the north west?would take alot of panels n sun to do it . let us know if the sun is that good we will all come to visit .ha,ha:thumb:

3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

hi K1tty and welcome to the FUN :thumb:

'course you can run all the above but only if you have a panel the size of a football field and a dozen batteries :Rofl1:

solar panels only produce 12v to charge batteries and can run small items ie: lights, not run 230v appliances unless you use an inverter.

seriously....a 150w solar panel will produce around 6 to 7 amps on a clear, sunny day, and will keep your batteries charged .

as soon as you start using more than 6 or 7 amps the battery will start to discharge.

4. k1tty

k1tty Deleted User

I'm thinking ahead for global warming! :Rofl1: I'm not going to see the north west for a long time after my van is up and going!

I'm devo'd I really thought it was a nice idea. I don't want to ask for much but a long hot shower I can live with.

Oh and something else I cannot get my head around is the toilet?! Where does it go?? - I know I'm not going to enjoy these answers! :Cool:

5. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

It was a great idea I was expecting you wanting the motor to run off solar too:thumb:
    the loo is collected into a removable waste tank that you will need to empty every day or two
    or week or two if you buy an American RV:Eeek:
    Welcome to the fun site
    Geo

6. pappajohn

the toilet goes in the little room near the sink and shower:Rofl1::Rofl1:

if you mean where do you empty it there are usually dedicated chemical toilet emptying points on site.
    you shouldnt really empty down a regular toilet due to the chemicals involved, normally formaldahyde.....it kills the natural bacteria found in sewage farms...but many do if wildcamping etc.
    the 'solids' and paper are broken down to a liquid slurry very quickly so its not too unpleasant dumping. just watch for the splashback:Eeek::Wink:

7. k1tty

k1tty Deleted User

I've got hamsters in a wheel for the engine! :Rofl1:

The toilet doesn't sound as gross as I was expecting, still I'll leave it to my bf but I will be nice to him and buy him some gloves!

So solar power really isn't worth doing?

8. vwalan

vwalan Funster

i have 3x80watt panels flat on roof . nov dec jan ,not too good for power feb on all ok thats in spain . in maroc no probs. have 2500kw inverter 700amp of batteries, power 240v fridge . 12v lights n pump . also have gas lights nice in winter heat n light. toilet thetford p,potty dont use chemicals lasts about 1wk for 2 people . tip in sewers or dig a big hole. use 1spanish 1maroc gas bottle . fill maroc in maroc about 4pounds spanish about 12. also carry adapters to fill at autogas stations. dont forget a good water filter ,i use a royal doulton berkenfield system ceramic inlaid with silver .never use sites ,too mean. :thumb:

9. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

As John said earlier it nothing more than a battery charger and not a very efficiant one at that
    BUT if your doing a lot of camping with out using sites and electric hook up(that means all your power is coming from your house batteries) its a great bit of kit

10. vwalan

vwalan Funster

you can have solar showers. cheap plastic bag type or shallow tank on roof gets very hot n can burn . good for washing pots etc. last winter we where using washing machines n spin driers all using panels n inverters. the sky is the limit , or is it the sun?

11. pappajohn

you'll need to be built like popeye or desperate dan to carry that to the elsan point:Rofl1::Rofl1:

12. pappajohn

you may want a long, hot shower but you aint getting one:Eeek:

most eurovan water heaters only hold around 10 liters of water so its a case of.... get wet, turn the tap off, get soapy, turn the tap on and wait for the water to run cold......it dont take long:cry:about 5 mins if you like it hot.
    american RVs do a lot better with around 25/30ltrs plus of hot water(i think)

13. k1tty

k1tty Deleted User

:cry::cry::cry: how long until the water heats up again?

14. Sundowners

Sundowners Funster Life Member

you will not like this, but IMHO you would be better off spending the money on a SMALL genny to recharge batteries, and run small 240volt bits of kit.
    Solar panels do work, but not always when you want/need them!!!
    Nigel & Pamala

15. vwalan

vwalan Funster

if you use an instantanious shower it depends how much water/gas you carry.

16. pappajohn

on gas maybe 20/30 mins for really hot or up to an hour on hookup.

if you use campsites then use the (usually)free showers but pick a quite time or the hot may not be hot.:Wink:

17. geoff587

geoff587 Read Only Funster

Sundowner , spoilt my day, I wanted to post that , as every query on generators is always answered with " Fit Solar Panels " :Laughing:

18. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

Would you believe that we make a 17Lt toilet cassette last for 5 to 7 days without the need to empty it, if we have access to public toilets much longer.

Doug...