First things first! (1 Viewer)

K

k1tty

Deleted User
I will be buying a good van soon and I want it to run off solar power. Could I have my heating, air con, shower, oven, fridge and anything else running off solar power or am I asking to much? How do I find somebody to fit it (and properly!) in the north west preferably!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
as you said first things first.. where do you get that much sun in the north west?would take alot of panels n sun to do it . let us know if the sun is that good we will all come to visit .ha,ha:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi K1tty and welcome to the FUN :thumb:

'course you can run all the above but only if you have a panel the size of a football field and a dozen batteries :ROFLMAO:

solar panels only produce 12v to charge batteries and can run small items ie: lights, not run 230v appliances unless you use an inverter.

seriously....a 150w solar panel will produce around 6 to 7 amps on a clear, sunny day, and will keep your batteries charged .

as soon as you start using more than 6 or 7 amps the battery will start to discharge.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
K

k1tty

Deleted User
I'm thinking ahead for global warming! :ROFLMAO: I'm not going to see the north west for a long time after my van is up and going!

I'm devo'd I really thought it was a nice idea. I don't want to ask for much but a long hot shower I can live with.

Oh and something else I cannot get my head around is the toilet?! Where does it go?? - I know I'm not going to enjoy these answers! :Cool:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
It was a great idea I was expecting you wanting the motor to run off solar too:thumb:
the loo is collected into a removable waste tank that you will need to empty every day or two
or week or two if you buy an American RV:Eeek:
Welcome to the fun site
Geo

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the toilet goes in the little room near the sink and shower:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

if you mean where do you empty it there are usually dedicated chemical toilet emptying points on site.
you shouldnt really empty down a regular toilet due to the chemicals involved, normally formaldahyde.....it kills the natural bacteria found in sewage farms...but many do if wildcamping etc.
the 'solids' and paper are broken down to a liquid slurry very quickly so its not too unpleasant dumping. just watch for the splashback:Eeek::winky:

OP
OP
K

k1tty

Deleted User
I've got hamsters in a wheel for the engine! :ROFLMAO:

The toilet doesn't sound as gross as I was expecting, still I'll leave it to my bf but I will be nice to him and buy him some gloves!

So solar power really isn't worth doing?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i have 3x80watt panels flat on roof . nov dec jan ,not too good for power feb on all ok thats in spain . in maroc no probs. have 2500kw inverter 700amp of batteries, power 240v fridge . 12v lights n pump . also have gas lights nice in winter heat n light. toilet thetford p,potty dont use chemicals lasts about 1wk for 2 people . tip in sewers or dig a big hole. use 1spanish 1maroc gas bottle . fill maroc in maroc about 4pounds spanish about 12. also carry adapters to fill at autogas stations. dont forget a good water filter ,i use a royal doulton berkenfield system ceramic inlaid with silver .never use sites ,too mean. :thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I've got hamsters in a wheel for the engine! :ROFLMAO:

The toilet doesn't sound as gross as I was expecting, still I'll leave it to my bf but I will be nice to him and buy him some gloves!

So solar power really isn't worth doing?
As John said earlier it nothing more than a battery charger and not a very efficiant one at that
BUT if your doing a lot of camping with out using sites and electric hook up(that means all your power is coming from your house batteries) its a great bit of kit

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you can have solar showers. cheap plastic bag type or shallow tank on roof gets very hot n can burn . good for washing pots etc. last winter we where using washing machines n spin driers all using panels n inverters. the sky is the limit , or is it the sun?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It was a great idea I was expecting you wanting the motor to run off solar too:thumb:
the loo is collected into a removable waste tank that you will need to empty every day or two
or week or two if you buy an American RV:Eeek:
Welcome to the fun site
Geo

you'll need to be built like popeye or desperate dan to carry that to the elsan point:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I don't want to ask for much but a long hot shower I can live with. :Cool:

you may want a long, hot shower but you aint getting one:Eeek:

most eurovan water heaters only hold around 10 liters of water so its a case of.... get wet, turn the tap off, get soapy, turn the tap on and wait for the water to run cold......it dont take long:cry:about 5 mins if you like it hot.
american RVs do a lot better with around 25/30ltrs plus of hot water(i think)

OP
OP
K

k1tty

Deleted User
you may want a long, hot shower but you aint getting one:Eeek:

most eurovan water heaters only hold around 10 liters of water so its a case of.... get wet, turn the tap off, get soapy, turn the tap on and wait for the water to run cold......it dont take long:cry:about 5 mins if you like it hot.
american RVs do a lot better with around 25/30ltrs plus of hot water(i think)

:cry::cry::cry: how long until the water heats up again?

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
you will not like this, but IMHO you would be better off spending the money on a SMALL genny to recharge batteries, and run small 240volt bits of kit.
Solar panels do work, but not always when you want/need them!!!
Nigel & Pamala

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
if you use an instantanious shower it depends how much water/gas you carry.

geoff587

Free Member
Feb 13, 2009
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
you will not like this, but IMHO you would be better off spending the money on a SMALL genny to recharge batteries, and run small 240volt bits of kit.
Solar panels do work, but not always when you want/need them!!!
Nigel & Pamala

Sundowner , spoilt my day, I wanted to post that , as every query on generators is always answered with " Fit Solar Panels " :roflmto:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
you'll need to be built like popeye or desperate dan to carry that to the elsan point:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Would you believe that we make a 17Lt toilet cassette last for 5 to 7 days without the need to empty it, if we have access to public toilets much longer.

Doug...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back