First motorhome, what accessories to buy?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by paulweller84, Oct 25, 2013.

1. paulweller84

paulweller84 Read Only Funster

Hi,

I've just been buying the first few bits for our first motorhome, so far I've bought the hook up lead (and 3 pin converter), gas bottle, levelling blocks and my wife is taking care of kitchen essentials. What other things can everyone suggest to buy?

Paul

2. Dawn B

Dawn B Funster

A cover for the winter

• Like Like x 1
  3. jb0371

jb0371 Read Only Funster

all depends on what sort of motorhoming you will do. We personally wild camp 99% of the time so we invested in some extra traction batteries and a battery 2 battery charging system with a gasit gas system.

• Like Like x 2
  4. jb0371

jb0371 Read Only Funster

Use it through the winter, so no need for a cover:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 4
  5. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

A watering can or similar container.. So at least you can fill water in any situation..

You have the basics, use the van first and you will soon get an idea of what you need or even see what other people have and go from there.. Also you find second hand stuff changing hands all the time if you can just wait...

I think we all have stuff that we bought thinking we need it and then never use it...

• Like Like x 3
  6. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Subscribe < here and then you will not only get full membership of Fun with all its advantages and also save money with Funster Discounts from the Trade members on here:thumb:

Peter

7. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

I agree with Tonka,all the things I thought I needed but never,my shed and van is full of them!
    Prob the best item I got was a 12 v lead for my Nintendo wii,now I can play football,golf,race,fish,shoot etc from the comfort of my own van.

Vlad

8. jezport

jezport Funster

My best suggestion is to hold back on toys and gadgets until you have had a few trips and seen what you really need.

Watch other MHers as there are lots of options and opinions and they vary depending on what type of camping your doing, wild camping, all sites or varied. We do varied and use different stuff for wild camping to site camping,

However you will need levelling ramps, a hose, an EHU lead, door mat, kettle and kitchen stuff etc.

Enjoy:Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  9. SMB

SMB Funster

I only started motorhoming in February, thought I had everything I needed until I met other fellow travellers and now I seem to be constantly buying things!

Plastic wine glasses are a must. I bought a rotary airer to compliment my washing line, saves on campsite drying fees (when sunny and dry of course, don't bother in the UK ha ha).

The other things I find useful are attachments for the hook-up cable to correct reverse polarity etc. I could go on for ever but, like the other funsters said, you will find out by experience. I'm a gadget man so i buy all kinds of crap :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Rapide561

Rapide561 Read Only Funster

Motorhome

First accessory is a trip to Wilko's and get a ring binder and a load of plastic wallets. Ideal for a copy of the log book, copy of tax disc, copy of insurance, copy of invoice etc and also as a dumping ground for all the print outs of Google maps, directions, campsite details etc.

We always have copies of all documents with us. More useful for overseas touring to be honest.

Russell

• Like Like x 1
  11. SMB

SMB Funster

I forgot to mention an ACSI membership if you are traveling abroad and intend to use campsites, its a discount card which pays for itself many times over. I also bought the ACSI DVD for your laptop, which is a lot easier than thumbing through the ACSI books for campsites, and can be used offline. Vicarious books sell several useful publications including the 'All the Aires' books.

Like I say, I could go on for ever and I have only been traveling since February...

12. daisy mae

daisy mae Read Only Funster

One thing that was essential for me was a small wheeled waste water container, 24ltr waste tank from e-Bay £19.99, so I can leave the on board waste water tank tap open and the water will go in the container, that is far easier to empty as a lot of sites don`t have/awkward to get to, to empty onboard tanks, this tank fits nicely under the offside settee next to the second leisure battery, chocks, also 2 diffent lengths of arctic hook up cable, not bothering with ramps, my fridge works on a slope as my drive slopes both ways and is working fine on gas and electric. , 2 kettles, one gas and one electric, small cleaner, bottle/can opener,gas lighter just in case, ignitor doesn`t work, Torch, a few tools, and numerous other items you will find as you go along, we did have caravans for decades, so know what was needed in there. I also have a list, and cross off everytime go away that way don`t forget anything, although most stays in the MH apart from food and personal clothes.duvay type bedding is well worth the outlay, easier to unroll and store.Have fun. :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  13. scousebird

scousebird Funster

Corkscrew/bottle opener :BigGrin:

We find a bucket useful, can use it for washing if needed, OH can wash the bugs off the front of the MH if needed & use it to empty waste tank if needed & of course as an extra beer cooler if needed!! :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 2
  14. Yorick

Yorick Funster

Beer fridge :Smile:

15. ericonabike

ericonabike Read Only Funster

A pen and paper. Then, when you go away, you can write down anything you haven't got that you would like, and get it for next time. Simples!

16. eddievanbitz

eddievanbitz Trader - Funster

Stella and a BBQ Oh, and some wine for your wife!

Eddie

17. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

I have to agree that while it is tempting to rush out and buy every accessory that looks inviting, don't rush into it. And before thinking about a winter cover I would consider very carefully and look at previous threads regarding one. The consensus seems to be that rather than protecting it from anything they can tend to damage the surface by abrasion and hold in moisture leaving a covering of algae on the surface of the van. Ours stayed outside on the drive through the horrendous snow and ice the winter before last without any problem.

Wyn

18. laser101uk

laser101uk Funster

a milk crate to store the wine under the seat

:Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  19. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

So do we-but have never needed them :BigGrin:
    Mike.

20. Bellini

Bellini Funster

Although I'm in the process of buying our first motorhome, we've had the valuable experience of renting two this year, plus we're seasoned tent campers who have travelled in our Land Rover across a lot of the UK and France and Spain.

We're not taking any of our camping stuff across into the MH for starters. So, we've gone out and bought basics, such as crockery and cutlery and bedding where needed.

We've bought a Cadac to make the most of on-board gas. And I think that'll help keeping nasty niffs out of the MH when cooking stuff like bacon and sausages. And it helps keen some of the pleasure of cooking outdoors, weather dependant.

The one thing I will bring across is my Engel fridge. That's earmarked for my MH's garage once I get a suitable 12v socket in there. Very handy for wine, beer, ice cubes, stuff from our excellent local butcher, etc. I appreciate this item isn't a first-timer must-have, but damn they're good!! We bought ours very secondhand and much-travelled for £270 4 years ago and it's probably the best bit of kit we've ever bought. So handy at home, too.

Beyond that, the only advice I will give is to get decent, good quality knives and cooking utensils. My mood deepens considerably when cooking alfresco with cheap camping products. More than any other time, you need a saucepan that sits level and knives that are sharp. I've also taken a leap of faith and ordered a double-skillet. Not arrived yet and I've no idea if it will, but PayPal payment should give me some comeback on that.

Oh, and get good comfy camping chairs. Really take your time choosing them. You need to relax and a chair that gives you a bad back ain't nice.

Another thing are quick-drying microfibre towels. We've been using these for years and not only do they take up no space, but they're massively absorbent and they dry far quicker.

Sure I can think of more, but maybe there's a nugget of inspiration for you in my ramblings above.

• Like Like x 2