Dec 16, 2016
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2years
Hi all,
Just been under my 2016 IH 630 FL pvc and noticed that the bump stops are sitting on the leaf springs is this right or should there be a gap between them ? Suggestions as to remedies if needed to solve problem? Thanks for your input!

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
When you have read the posts go and fit air suspension. The amount that IH charge I'm surprised that it's not fitted as standard.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
S

Stuartand paula

Free Member
Dec 16, 2016
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2years
Thanks klattu and mikeco,seems to be a grey area at mot time with regards to assisters or bump stop,will have to look into air suspension now that's going to haunt me trying to see which is the best option!?

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Thanks klattu and mikeco,seems to be a grey area at mot time with regards to assisters or bump stop,will have to look into air suspension now that's going to haunt me trying to see which is the best option!?
If you own a spanner then buy the Dunlop kit from Marcle leisure and fit it yourself. It will also give you a more comfortable ride.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
When you have read the posts go and fit air suspension...
Mikeco, I'd be interested to hear first hand how air suspension improves the ride quality on a PVC. Can you explain exactly how the driving experience is different to the standard set up.

Many thanks, Mike

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
No grey area....Fiat fit spring assisters to motorhomes.....and VOSA know it.

Spring Assister.

Bump stop just a light tap with hammer and chisel to loosen then unscrew-M.jpg

Bump stop.

daystar_direct_fit_bump_stops.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Mikeco, I'd be interested to hear first hand how air suspension improves the ride quality on a PVC. Can you explain exactly how the driving experience is different to the standard set up.

Many thanks, Mike
When fully loaded our van was 3.5 ton and the suspension appeared and felt to be on its limit with very little movement in the shock absorbers and leaf springs. When I fitted the air suspension you could tell that the ride was much better. Also in my case and many other van conversions the van was not level, there was 25mm difference if you measured the space from the top of the tyre to the wheel arch, this was due to more weight on one side of the van. With the air suspension you could level the van up by putting a different pressure into each side.

OP
OP
S

Stuartand paula

Free Member
Dec 16, 2016
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2years
I stand corrected papa john thanks for your input this is why I joined the site so people like you can help the uninitiated to sort these problems out

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
When fully loaded our van was 3.5 ton and the suspension appeared and felt to be on its limit with very little movement in the shock absorbers and leaf springs. When I fitted the air suspension you could tell that the ride was much better. Also in my case and many other van conversions the van was not level, there was 25mm difference if you measured the space from the top of the tyre to the wheel arch, this was due to more weight on one side of the van. With the air suspension you could level the van up by putting a different pressure into each side.
When you describe the ride as 'much better', do you mean more compliant; or rides smoother over poor or uneven road surfaces?

The ride on all three Ducato-based vans we have owned has been harsh and 'thumps' over bumps. We keep the tyres as soft as permitted, but it's still like travelling in a cart. Which in turn induces additional internal creaks and rattles.

I know it's a commercial van; the problem is it feels like it! Would air suspension 'smooth' the ride?

As an aside, I think each newer version of the Ducato we've owned has felt more car-like to drive as far as brakes and steering are concerned, just not the suspension. :(

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Had Dunlop fitted a few years ago, best thing I ever did it's been brilliant, so much better than the assists fitted by original maker be it Fiat or others.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
When you describe the ride as 'much better', do you mean more compliant; or rides smoother over poor or uneven road surfaces?

The ride on all three Ducato-based vans we have owned has been harsh and 'thumps' over bumps. We keep the tyres as soft as permitted, but it's still like travelling in a cart. Which in turn induces additional internal creaks and rattles.

I know it's a commercial van; the problem is it feels like it! Would air suspension 'smooth' the ride?

As an aside, I think each newer version of the Ducato we've owned has felt more car-like to drive as far as brakes and steering are concerned, just not the suspension. :(
It would definitely improve the ride, trust me I'm not a doctor

OP
OP
S

Stuartand paula

Free Member
Dec 16, 2016
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2years
Thanks for all the help just need to pry some money out of swmbo and wait for a dry day?

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012

Many thanks, Mike

We have fitted air assistance to both our Fiat chases motorhomes. The Autotrail FB tracker was not a nice drive on a motorway in a stiff cross wind. Totally transformed when the Air suspension was fitted.

No wobbling about, better ride and not pushed around as much by lorries.

Only drove my new IH about a hundred miles before Dave Newell again fitted Dunlop air assistance.

I would not have a Fiat without air assistance now.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
What's the jack doing ?:LOL: space for the mot ?:D

That rubber bit do look a bit knackered. :D

ps: I naturally hesitate to give it a name - ;)

OP
OP
S

Stuartand paula

Free Member
Dec 16, 2016
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2years
Tonka did you have to take off the spring clamp bolts to fit the kit?
Treetops the vehicle is a pvc thanks

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Tonka did you have to take off the spring clamp bolts to fit the kit?
Treetops the vehicle is a pvc thanks

All you do is unscrew the "bump stop"...

The kit fits between the spring clamp bolts. See the ebay listing as it shows several pictures.
Only minor downside, the air gauge looks a bit cheap and DIY BUT does the job.
My issue was a "saggy back end" and occassional grounding due to a long overhang.

s-l1600.jpg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I saw those kits on Ebay too but thought the same about the compressor air connection points ... with no gauge that I could see in the photos ... not difficult to buy one to add to it though.

OP
OP
S

Stuartand paula

Free Member
Dec 16, 2016
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2years
As per tonkas suggestion just ordered the same kit and asked for two gauges and extra pipe(10mtrs) so I can have separate control of each air bag,measured the wheel arch measurement and 20 mm diferance at rear so maybe more air in one than the other? Liked this kit because you don't have to mess about with the rear spring hanger bolts as it's still under warranty,and didn't want to fall foul of fiat rules.Thanks for all the help you all have give

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I saw those kits on Ebay too but thought the same about the compressor air connection points ... with no gauge that I could see in the photos ... not difficult to buy one to add to it though.

It has a Gauge... Not a neat and tidy as say the Airide version but certainly does the job and if I come across a better one and can be bothered I may change it. The set up is that it inflates both bags and that suits me as I just wanted lift..
I know some people do use them to level the van front to back, not something i every bothered with on my previous van that had air suspension.

This is the kit..

DSC_0427.JPG

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thanks Tonka, I couldn't see a gauge in their advert on Ebay. Is there any reason why you have to run the pipes through to the front of the van? Couldn't they just be terminated in the rear instead, say in the garage/rear locker etc, to save having the faff of installing them the full length?

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Thanks Tonka, I couldn't see a gauge in their advert on Ebay. Is there any reason why you have to run the pipes through to the front of the van? Couldn't they just be terminated in the rear instead, say in the garage/rear locker etc, to save having the faff of installing them the full length?

No reason why you can't put in rear locker. Just think about how you will blow up, I just use a footpump, put it on the cab step and use my hand to use the pump. Think because my previous van had it fitted there I just did the same.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
If those Air Bags are linked together it could be a potential disaster in the making when you turn a corner and the bag under compression transfers all its air to the other bag . It will accentuate body roll. They should be piped individually to avoid this.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
If those Air Bags are linked together it could be a potential disaster in the making when you turn a corner and the bag under compression transfers all its air to the other bag . It will accentuate body roll. They should be piped individually to avoid this.

It's a 4 tonne van not a loaded 30 tonne tipper wagon.. ;)
I very much doubt that cornering (safely) in a tall motorhome exerts that much extra load..
Lets just say between my old van and this one I have done about 40,000 miles with that combination and I am still here to drink the beer..
I get your theory but doubt the result in practice..

The Airide (twice the price) has two seperate feeds BUT from memory I recall they say to leave both taps open so that does the same thing. To modify this one to a two feed system would be a simple process just some piping and another gauge or switch system.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back