Fiat Ducato cruise control HELP

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by TheDentons, Jun 2, 2014.

1. TheDentons

TheDentons Funster

Hi
    In need of some help, we picked up our new motorhome last Thursday. Fiat Ducato 2011
    it has a factory fitted cruise control and we can't get it to engage, Read the manual and manual states turn the cruise control on accelerate to desired speed, hold control stick forward to register the speed and the cruise should take over. we've tried this many times, won't engage we missing something. :Sad:

2. peter marshall

peter marshall

Hi we have the same model, what I do is to give it TWO upward flicks of the lever it works every time. Pete :thumb:

3. TheDentons

TheDentons Funster

Fiat ducat cruise control HELP

Hi
    Ive just spoken to fiat and they said it has to be above 4th or 5th gear is this correct.:BigGrin:

4. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

I have no idea why you would use it in any lower gear than 4th or 5th.
    So.. Firstly twist the lever to switch on cruise control.. You get a message on the dash "cruise control on"
    Next drive off to somewhere nice and easy. Dual carriageway etc..
    Once in top gear at a suitable speed push the lever forward/up..
    If after this you change gear switch it off on the stalk or brake it will deactivate.
    You can alter the speed by pushing up/forward(faster) or down /back (slower)

Hope this helps

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  5. TheDentons

TheDentons Funster

Fiat ducat cruise control HELP

Hi

Thank you for your response. we wernt trying to use it in a lower gear,
    we were traveling between 55-60mph maybe it wasn't in the correct gear, will have to take it for a drive.:BigGrin:

6. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Makes sense. Who would want to pootle around in first gear with it engaged?? :Wink:

• Like Like x 1
  7. fatbuddha

fatbuddha Read Only Funster

we have a 2012 Ducato based Rollerteam and it's definitely an UPWARD flick to set the cruise, once switched on. it can be a little non-intuitive to start with but once you get the hang it's easy.

and if you deactivate it through braking, say, a PULL will restart it and it will cruise back up to the set limit without you needing to accelerate using the pedal

8. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

I had the same problem in 2009 with mine it is not a switch as such and if you do it as the book says it is wrong when you engage it an upward FLICK is what it needs if you push the stick up and hold it it is telling it 2 different things at the same time and will not engage.flick it it engages, each flick up or down after it is engaged increases or decreases by about 1 mph.
    The book is not very clear once you get the idea of how little it needs you will have no more problems:thumb:

9. Wyaye wires

Wyaye wires

Mine keeps starting the windscreen wipers...

Oops, sorry Kath says I'm an idiot...

• Like Like x 5
  10. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster

When the end of the cruise control switch/lever is turned/twisted to make the cruise control active, there should be a green light on the right hand side of the dash to indicate it's switched on.

Then, as everybody has said, flick the lever upwards when travelling at speed and it should 'lock-on' at that speed.

It will de-activate if you either touch the brakes OR the clutch. It's just a case of flicking the switch upwards (also works downwards) when you're ready for the cruise control to take over again.

An amazing bit of kit - we use ours almost the whole time. :thumb:

Hope you get it sorted (and enjoy).

Mike

Mike

11. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

if all the posted advise, re pull/push etc fails, it may be one of the inhibitor switchs has failed.
    One on the brake (may use the brake light switch) and one on the clutch.

If either have failed the system wont engage as it sees the brake or clutch pedal pressed.

My cruise drops out from time to time if i hit a pothole of similar, the brake pedal moves slightly with the sudden shock but enough to disengage the cruise

12. Ridgeway

Ridgeway Funster

Once engaged, each flick up will increase the speed by 2km p/hour not sure what that is in yards and inches.

The activation does take a bit of getting used to and if I don't drive ours for a couple of months then I can easily find myself swearing at the thing so you're not the only one.

13. cmcardle75

cmcardle75 Read Only Funster

My car one comes on at 20mph in 3rd (or 2nd). The only way physically possible to comply with 20mph limits, as the human foot is incapable of not accelerating.

14. Tootles

Tootles Funster

I would fully agree with that, Dr Wires........

Touché. :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  15. TheDentons

TheDentons Funster

Thanks for all the posts took it for a spin tonight and flicked the lever and it engaged straight away we got confused as the manual said different thanks again

• Like Like x 1
  16. funman

funman Read Only Funster

I've just bought a Hymer 584, 2005 vintage (Fiat Ducato based). My cruise control doesn't even have a stick to waggle! It has 3 buttons on the right hand side of the steering wheel - one is ON, one is OFF and the third is not marked. When I press ON, a little symbol on the dashboard lights up, it looks like a little speedometer dial. Apart from this, nothing happens, the speed you are at when you press ON is not maintained. Does anyone out there know what I should have done or is it just bust?

17. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

Might have needed a new thread for this but every cruise I've ever used has had two stages. first switch in, then engage. The on you've found, the engage may be a bit trickier.

Someone with a van like yours will no doubt be along shortly.

18. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

i think virtually all the 3 button systems ive seen and used have on off and set/resume

turn on, then press and hold the third button at the desired speed. touching accelerator brake or clutch will disengage the cc

19. bjandlin

bjandlin Funster

Re 2005 Fiat cruise control.
    Right hand buttons on & off,third button not used.
    left hand buttons + to engage & increase speed. - to decrease speed. R to resume previous speed after disengaging with tap on brake pedal or depressing cluth pedal.

When you get to the speed you want to cruise at press +button, control then takes over.
    Wouldn't be without mine,brilliant bit of kit.
    Barrie

20. funman

funman Read Only Funster

Thanks everyone for the tips. I got to try them out for the first time today; it took a while as it's a bit of a palaver getting the van or lorry as we call it out of our drive. Also there are no proper main roads near our house. Anyway, Barrie seems to have hit the nail on the head: the + button on the l.h.s. of the steering wheel activated the cruise. It went up and down a small hill at a constant speed. Marvellous!