Fiat Ducato cruise control HELP (1 Viewer)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Fiat Ducatos now come with a speed limiter which will be very useful in places like France and also Norway particularly were speeding fines are linked to ability to pay (y)

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
This will cause the system to cut out before the 15mph because you are requesting a higher and higher speed, but the laws of physics are preventing this. So eventually you request a speed that is greater than 15mph over the travel speed, and the system shuts down.

Thanks again but I don't use the stalk up hills I just leave it in cruise.
I do agree with you and the physics, I am probably asking to much of the 2.2 ltr engine pulling a 3.5 ton M/H.
I have probably been too used to having cruise on cars with more than enough power to climb any hill.
The cruise will cuts out before it drops 15mph but the second problem with accelerating with the stalk (on the flat) is another issue.

Cassette

Free Member
May 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
2 weeks
I know the thread has already been answered, but the thread title is so spot on, that anyone searching for how to use cruise control will end up here. So, full instructions are:
Cruise will not engage below 20mph regardless of which gear you are in, rule number 1!
To turn on the system, twist the bezel on the lower stalk on the left hand side of the steering wheel away from you, you should get a green light on the dash confirming the selection.
Drive up to the speed you wish to go, then flick the lower left stalk up once, this sets the speed. You may now take your feet off the pedals.
Tapping the brake or clutch will disengage the system, to resume your previously selected speed, press the button on the end of the stalk (it's marked 'RES' if you look).
If the road speed drops below 15mph under your selected speed, cruise will automatically disengage, for example when climbing a steep hill. This is normal.
When you are in cruise control, you can adjust the speed, by flicking the stalk up to accelerate, or down to decelerate.

Thanks very much for this Daniel, I'm having a problem too, just bought a 2008 Ducato 160 based Autotrail (our first ever motorhome). As another has mentioned, the manual says hold the stick in up for a second and it will engage. It doesn't, so I'll try flicking it instead. The green light is lit on the dashboard when I twist the knurled control so couldn't figure out what's wrong. I have it booked into a Fiat dealer next week to investigate but I'll try what you say first.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 4, 2016
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since 2003
My money is on the contacts inside the cruise stalk as mine was, you can remove the entire stalk assembly without disturbing anything else. Dismantle switch clean contacts or in my case bend them slightly. I had mine apart twice as just cleaning didn't work. I'm sure I added some pictures and procedure on previous posts.

Box Boy

Free Member
Jul 3, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Globecar Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2010
On an earlier van of ours the Cruise control would only engage by flicking the lever down (reducing speed) and then flicking up to stabilize.(n)
I like the ability on present van whilst on cruise to accelerate passed a slow mover then when I take foot of throttle the van automatically resumes to previous speed set. :cool:

Cassette

Free Member
May 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
2 weeks
Thanks for that, I'll be taking it out this evening and trying all permutations!

Cassette

Free Member
May 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
2 weeks
Turns out the entire combination switch needed replacing and the ECU needed a software update too. £840 thanks very much after the charge for diagnosis. Oh well, it working now...

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
No help but ours engages in ANY ear once above 20mph
If going up a hill and speed drops 10mph below what it is set at it will drop out,, but I often use it in third for long draggy hills

Glad to hear you have it sorted :)

Cassette

Free Member
May 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
2 weeks
I'm definitely glad it is working, very useful.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
As a matter of interest, when you use the cruise control it changes the ECU map being used.. You get more torque out of the engine

Cassette

Free Member
May 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
2 weeks
I did not know that. Darned clever these things, when they work ;) Apparently Fiat technical support insisted the ECU was updated prior to any diagnosis, which I understand.

teknik155

Free Member
Apr 9, 2012
irthlingborough
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2002
Dave Newell fitted a cruise control to my 1999 Peugeot Boxer, its a little beige box with 3 buttons.
Has worked a treat for past 7 years and it will work in any gear. When we are in slow moving traffic on a motorway etc I put the cruise control on and just cruise like a lorry at about 20-30 mph,it gives my legs a rest as well as the clutch. It must be good for the clutch as I've got a 1999 2.5T Boxer and 86000 miles and its still on its original clutch. Probably due for a new clutch before Xmas.

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
I have never liked using cruise control but I thought it would be a good idea to try to keep to 80 kilometres in France. I cannot get it to keep to the set speed, it varies 3 to 4 kilometres below and above the set speed, should it do that, or is it faulty? The MH is less than 12 months old.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks for the reply but the fault is more complex.
It is the standard Fiat cruise control and I happily use it just as you stated.
It switches off well before it loses 15mph and will only accelerate for a couple of seconds on the stalk before it cuts out completely.
Should it keep accelerating when it goes onto full throttle and the engine note changes? This seems to be the time when it decides to cut out, as it does on hills in cruise.
Its the same sound you get when you bury the throttle whilst climbing an hill.
Do you have a Comformatic gearbox? We do and have the same problem, in that the cruise disengages when the actual speed drops 10mph below the set speed. It is because the auto box will not change down to take the hill if you have cruise on. I have had it checked twice and was told this is normal.

The way I deal with it is, when speed starts to drop when going uphill, I put my foot on the accelerator, which forces the auto to drop one or more gears. Once over the top I just take my foot off the accelerator and it reverts back to cruise at the speed to I originally set.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Do you have a Comformatic gearbox? We do and have the same problem, in that the cruise disengages when the actual speed drops 10mph below the set speed. It is because the auto box will not change down to take the hill if you have cruise on. I have had it checked twice and was told this is normal.

The way I deal with it is, when speed starts to drop when going uphill, I put my foot on the accelerator, which forces the auto to drop one or more gears. Once over the top I just take my foot off the accelerator and it reverts back to cruise at the speed to I originally set.
I'm fairly sure mine changes down.

I generally only use the cruise on motorways or dual-carriageways & with 3.5t & 150bhp there aren't many hills on that sort of road that would make it need to change down anyway. I'll have to engineer a test next time out. M62 on Monday may well give an opportunity.

swiftsteve

LIFE MEMBER
May 16, 2018
kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral S 680 ST
Exp
Since 2008, with a gap between 2013 and 2018.
Mine keeps starting the windscreen wipers...

Oops, sorry Kath says I'm an idiot...

Mine operates the right indicator. :rolleyes:

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
If you are traveling at for instance 55, and brake gently, the cruise control will drop out automatically. After accelerating back up to 45-50 ish, press the end of the control button in and it will resume its last setting i.e. 55.

May 18, 2022
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Autotrai
Hi we have the same model, what I do is to give it TWO upward flicks of the lever it works every time. Pete :thumb:
Hi on my 2015 Ducato the speed limiter works great at any speed
However the cruise only seems to work up to 50 mph, if I set it to say 45 then tap the stalk up it goes to 50 but no higher does anyone know how to adjust it to go higher some have said it me be in settings but I can’t find it

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Hi on my 2015 Ducato the speed limiter works great at any speed
However the cruise only seems to work up to 50 mph, if I set it to say 45 then tap the stalk up it goes to 50 but no higher does anyone know how to adjust it to go higher some have said it me be in settings but I can’t find it
It sounds like the limiter is still operating it?

Oct 6, 2021
Funster No
MH
PVC
An amazing bit of kit - we use ours almost the whole time. :thumb:
Sorry to say I would disagree with this. Its the worst cruise control I've ever used. My last Ford motorhome had a far more precise cruise control, and the car cruise control is streets ahead too.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Sorry to say I would disagree with this. Its the worst cruise control I've ever used. My last Ford motorhome had a far more precise cruise control, and the car cruise control is streets ahead too.
Gosh, my post from 8 years ago quoted! :rolleyes: :unsure:

I'm the first to recognise that some modern cruise controls have enhanced operation these days, nonetheless - having driven many different vehicles equipped with cruise before and since then - I stand by my original comment. And although I've changed my van since then, it's another Fiat (X290, as opposed to an X250) with pretty much the same operation, which from my perspective is quite satisfactory and just works as expected. (y)

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I have no idea why you would use it in any lower gear than 4th or 5th.
So.. Firstly twist the lever to switch on cruise control.. You get a message on the dash "cruise control on"
Next drive off to somewhere nice and easy. Dual carriageway etc..
Once in top gear at a suitable speed push the lever forward/up..
If after this you change gear switch it off on the stalk or brake it will deactivate.
You can alter the speed by pushing up/forward(faster) or down /back (slower)

Hope this helps
If you have a comformatic gear box it will change up or down through the gears as required when in cruise control.
I push stick forward to reach required speed then press the button on the stick to set it or to pause it.😊

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back